The Nissan Club banner

Were you able to get new headlight assemblies for free or get reimbursed after the settlement?

• Yes

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • No

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Approved but waiting for replacements or reimbursement

Votes: 5 26.3%
61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 · (Edited)
UPDATE: OMG! What a difference! Should've done this months ago. No problem waiting for the new assemblies from Nissan now. It would be nice if they arrive this year. The Dorman assemblies came with bulbs. I needed to adjust the beam height on both assemblies as they aimed too low which I quickly discovered the first time I drove at night. That was easy to do with a long Phillips head screwdriver. Takes several turns clockwise to move the aim up and vice versa.

So, I installed the new Dorman headlight assemblies this morning. Fairly easy to do and you can do it alone as long as you take your time. Took me 2.5 hours. I drove the front wheels onto ramps to get easier access the the bolts and screws on the bottom of the cover.

One tip from a YouTube video I found very helpful was removing only the innermost of the three bolts in the image from the video shown below for each side of the bumper cover. No need to remove the two outer bolts as they just fasten the plastic mounting piece on the cover.

Can't wait to see how the new headlights are. Only six more hours from now and I'll find out. Almost have to be better.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does anyone have any idea about NTB22-039 and NTB22-040 that I see mentioned in forums. A few people have mentioned these will be actual recalls but I have seen no proof. I was part of the class action lawsuit however was unable to get to a deal before the Sept 23 2022 deadline.

Also does anyone have a recommendation for an aftermarket set of headlights. Junior82 I see went with Dorman. Rock Auto sells a pair of TYC for $225. OEM look like aroud $650 plus for a pair.

thanks
Jay

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Go to the NHTSA website and search for recalls for your model year. These bulletins refer to voluntary service campaigns. If you haven't gone to a stealership for this before you just mention the NTB22-039. NHTSA has not provided the details for these yet - just summaries. If you do get approved for replacements, you will have a very long wait for them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Go to the NHTSA website and search for recalls for your model year. These bulletins refer to voluntary service campaigns. If you haven't gone to a stealership for this before you just mention the NTB22-039. NHTSA has not provided the details for these yet - just summaries. If you do get approved for replacements, you will have a very long wait for them.
NTB22-002 was a voluntary service campaign that gave an extra 3 years to the factory warranty
NTB22-024 was a voluntary service campaign that applies to the class action law suit. That ended Sept 23 2022

NTB22-039 and NTB22-040 are both supposed Recalls that have only been mentioned in forums. There is no info on those two on the NHTSA website. Those 2 should not be Voluntary Service Campaigns, according to the few postings those should be Recalls.

If I go to the dealership with either NTB22-002 or NTB22-024 they can easily say you are past Sept 23 2022 and are no longer covered. If I bring up NTB22-040 or NTB22-039 I have no info to back up those actually exist. Does the dealer have a special system that will show those TSBs? I have checked my cars Vin and there is no recall except the hood latch. I also know that my car is def affect by the headlights as I was approved in the class action law suit.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Never, ever, doubt junior82.
NTB22-039 was never a recall. Some dimwit on Reddit said these were recalls six months ago and now it's taken as Gospel.

The screenshot below is from NHTSA.

Font Terrestrial plant Darkness Screenshot Multimedia

·
Registered
6 Posts
That updated info is much appreciated. One reason I wrote supposed, because I saw no info to confirm that. Do you believe even though the last date has passed for the law suit inspection, Sept 23 2022, that if I call the dealership and give them NTB22-039 that I may be able to get a free inspection and maybe new headlights? Or should I wait till NTB22-039 comes out to read it in full?

Lastly how are the Dorman working out? Rock Auto has the left side for $50 and maybe when the right side comes back in stock it will be around $50. $125 and 2 hours of my life seem like its not to bad to fix this problem.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
I would call a stearlership and mention the NTB22-039 assuming you don't have a 2013 coupe which is the only model covered under NTB22-040.

The Dorman have been performing extremely well. The question is for how long. Until Nissan ponies up the replacements I'm owed? Who knows.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Buy that Dorman assembly from Amazon for the same price and you'll get free shipping (maybe). RockAuto always charges for shipping and sometimes the cost is prohibitive.

Replacing the assemblies is actually easy provided you watch enough YouTube videos to see what you need to do.

I just installed OEM fog lights in my 2.5S which did not come equipped with them. It was surprising difficult to do this with the bumper cover on. If only I had had the parts when I put the Dorman headlight assemblies in. Then it would've been really easy. Took me over an hour to put the fog lights in because of limited space and ability to see inside of it. I was ultimately successful after scraping some skin off the underside of my wrists. Nissan used to sell a complete kit for the fog lights which has been discontinued. I was able to get the OEM combination switch from a 2013 3.5SL from a self service junk yard. Paid only $14 for that switch. What's really nice about the OEM fog lights is the indicator light on the instrument panel that illuminates when you switch them on. I bought aftermarket fog lights from EBay, aftermarket fog light trim covers from carparts.com, and got the two harnesses I needed from a Nissan stealership. The total cost was only $87 which was less than the kit I mentioned earlier. The key is to get that combination switch cheaply as they sell on Ebay for $50+.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I called my stealership yesterday. They still can't give me an estimate of when the replacement headlight assemblies will be coming in for my car after 4.5 months. So, for now, I'm going to install the Dorman assemblies I bought four months ago. The service guy said there are hundreds of owners waiting. I asked 'at your dealership?' He admitted that no not that many there but there are hundreds of owners waiting for them. Thanks for nothing Nissan. I will not be buying another one of your 'fine' vehicles ever again.
Hello, Do these assemblies come with lights too? Are they bright enough? Thanks

61 - 73 of 73 Posts