The Nissan Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to gut my 2002 out and replace the entire system. I have Kenwood Excelon speakers for the front and rear and want to have a sub in the back. The headunit is an Alpine CDA 7998 w/no power. In speaking to an installer he suggested an Alpine 5 channel amp to power all the speakers. The price isnt a big deal (500 at tweeter, 300 online) but I want to know if the 5 channel is what I need for all four speakers and the sub or can I go with something else, like a 4/3/2? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Cub Fan, Bud Man...
310 Posts
i don't really think 1 amp powering everything will be enough to power the sub as well. Besides, everyone I have talked to said five channel amps are shit. I would suggest 2 amps, a four channel to power your speakers, and a seperate mono amp to power the sub. That's just my suggestion. Wait to see what others have to say. BTW, did you get tweeters to replace the stock ones in the front pillars, or are you just replacing the door speakers with 2-ways?

·
Damn! I Drive a Civic
4,703 Posts
from what i hear 5 channel amps are good for a little package. iv herd good things about alpines 5 channel amps.

its sounds like a good deal to me, jsut get a sub that is really efficient, such as the shiva. i got 100 watts on mine and it hits alot harder than you would ever think 100 watts would do.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BSU_Altima said:
i don't really think 1 amp powering everything will be enough to power the sub as well. Besides, everyone I have talked to said five channel amps are shit. I would suggest 2 amps, a four channel to power your speakers, and a seperate mono amp to power the sub. That's just my suggestion. Wait to see what others have to say. BTW, did you get tweeters to replace the stock ones in the front pillars, or are you just replacing the door speakers with 2-ways?
I purchased the Excelon component speakers for the fronts. So the tweeters and fronts will be replaced.

·
Local Guamee...
744 Posts
5 channels aren't too bad. Soundstream makes great 5 channel amps. I personally have a Reference 405 which I bought 5 years ago. It still works great and sounds awesome. It's a nice set up if your not looking for too much power. If you want some serious power, they have a number of multi channel amps. Here is one of their newest 5 channel amps. Its a great amp if you want something like home theater in your car. If you want power, Davinchi is a serious power amp. This beauty has 7 channels of raw power. Take a look at the specs. I vouge for soundstream, because I've used their amps all my life without amy problems. I know it's a little pricey, but if you search the web, you're sure to find one of these at a great price. My Reference 405 cost me $220, back in 96. Good luck!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Didnt see any prices for the amps. Although I can imagine what a 23K gold amp cost anyway.

Thanks

·
Local Guamee...
744 Posts
M2Iceman said:
Didnt see any prices for the amps. Although I can imagine what a 23K gold amp cost anyway.

Thanks
The gold plated is special edition. They have it without the gold plated. Search on the internet for prices. Ebay is a good start.

·
Bigpapa
172 Posts
Best way to go is to get KICKER AMPS 1200.1 for SUBs and 800.4 for the fronts look on ebay good deals there.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I'm trying to stay away from having 2 amps. The car is my wifes and she doesnt need the hassel if anything goes wrong, my car would be different, but hey. Thats the reason for staying with one amp thats not too much power. She doesnt need earthshattering, know what I mean. Thats why I was looking at the Alpine, only having 65w per channel I figured would be plenty for the ride.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the input, I have a couple ideas for the amps and subs to put in. Some brands I havent heard and reading about them, they sound better than what I was looking at. THANKS!

·
Keepin' It Real
726 Posts
Hey,

I have all your problems summed up right here:

Good move with the Alpine Head Unit!

1st - Take back those Kenwood Exceleon Speakers!!!

When it comes to speakers buy:

Alpine Type-X
Alpine Type-R
Focal
MB Quartz
Boston Acoustics
Phoenix Gold
Precision Power
Diamond Audio
Orion
Soundstream

5/4/3 Channel Amplifier:

Alpine MRP-F320 (M Power)
Alpine MRV-F450 (V Power)
Phoenix Gold QX 500.5
Orion 7005
Precision Power (PPI) PCX-5800
Soundstream (Expensive)
Make sure you wire up one of those badboys with 4 gauge power/ground wire and at least a AGU style fuse connectors...Phoenix Gold/Stinger makes good wiring kits.

Peace,

Shawn

·
Keepin' It Real
726 Posts
JBL makes good amplifiers but dont make a 5 channel.

5 channel amplifers are decent if you buy quality...if you buy cheap stuff like Kenwood then it is not worth it.

Kenwood Exceleon is good but is nowhere near as good as its price tag!!!

Pioneer Premier is better but I think it is over rated too!!!

When it comes to buying audio equipment and or anything else I never waste money...I always buy what I want even if I dont have the money for it because you will only be dissapointed with cheap stuff.

I would personally go with a 4 channel and a monoblock which is my setup. But those 5 channel amplifiers I listed are pretty darn good...and you wont be dissapointed one bit...trust me...I live and breathe car audio!!!

Peace,

Shawn

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Kenwoods werent too bad for the price, little shopping around and found them both for about $170 instead of the $330 a pair. Ill take the suggestion into account about the exchanging them. Still looking around and reading up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts