The Nissan Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have a little bit of a quandry currently. I recently purchased a new set of wheels with TPMS sensors. They came balanced with the sensors installed. I mounted the wheels myself and of course I now have a "check tire pressure" warning. So my question is do I need to relearn the I.Ds or just a reset? I have searched google for hours and most people just say a simple reset is required, but I believe I need the I.D for each sensor then use a tool to input each set of sensor I.Ds. I have tried the paperclip method to reset it, but nothing happens. I'm guessing this method is for using a previous set of wheels. I'm trying to save as many trips to the dealership as possible. So do I need my new sensor's I.Ds and my winter sensors? Or can I just use the paper clip method to reset it? Any help would be awesome!

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
You didn't state which year/model you have. The paperclip approach is documented in my TPMS thread below in my .sig.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You didn't state which year/model you have. The paperclip approach is documented in my TPMS thread below in my .sig.
It's a 2011 maxima. I've tried the paper clip method but it didn't seem to work. It just stays on now. So I'm wondering if it's what I need to do.

·
6,365 Posts
Did you properly set the pressures on all the tires while doing the paperclip thing?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok I reread your post. I'll have to try it again. I may have turned the car off after it was flashing instead of turning the car on immediately. Essentially, the tire pressures need to be exact from the beginning until the light is on solid after driving for a bit? Is this something I can do with brand new TPMS sensors (they haven't been programmed yet).

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've done this a bunch of times. The hardest part is making sure you have a good ground when you tap the clip. If you have a multimeter, test your ground first. I found the best ground is the bare metal door latch on the B pillar.

·
6,365 Posts
Ok I reread your post. I'll have to try it again. I may have turned the car off after it was flashing instead of turning the car on immediately. Essentially, the tire pressures need to be exact from the beginning until the light is on solid after driving for a bit? Is this something I can do with brand new TPMS sensors (they haven't been programmed yet).
As long as the new sensors have been 'activated'. A lot of the newer programmable ones ship in low power mode to save battery life and have to be 'woken' up first by a special programming signal before they function normally.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts