The Nissan Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Professional Driver
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Shortly after getting my Altima I noticed a rattle every time I closed the door. I traced it down to the glasses holder in the overhead console. The bottom of the compartment is padded, but the top is not. My sunglasses were rattling against the top.

This is a very easy fix and it turned out perfectly (looks totally oem and it works), so I thought I'd share. As always, proceed at your own risk, but it doesn't get much easier than this. The only materials needed are some pipe wrap insulation and Elmer's rubber cement.

I happened to already have pipe wrap insulation that I had previously ordered from Amazon. It's exactly the material needed. It comes in a 25 foot roll. You only need a small amount, but it's cheap ($8.00). This insulation is a very close match to the material lining the bottom of the compartment.

The Elmer's rubber cement is also available on Amazon ($4.00). I used rubber cement because it's easy to remove should the need arise. I did this mod a couple months ago and it's still holding fine.

All you do is cut off a piece of the insulation to slightly less than the width of the compartment (about 7 1/2 inches on my 2015 SL). Leave room for the sides of the tray to move into place. I used a paper cutter to get a nice square edge, but scissors or a X-acto knife should work. The width of the insulation is already perfect (3 inches). Test fit the piece in place. It will tuck in front of the tray, you can see the front edge of the tray in the picture. The insulation has a soft side and a smooth side. Put the soft side down toward where your glasses will be.

After you are satisfied with the fit carefully brush some rubber cement on the top of the compartment. Don't let it drip and be careful about the side edges and roller mechanism, don't glue the compartment shut. Put the insulation in place, soft side down. The top of the compartment has a kind of rolled shape. Hold the insulation in place for a few minutes to conform to the shape of the compartment. Make sure the door closes ok and let it dry.

If you take your time and do a good job it will look like the car came that way and no more rattle.

Difficulty: Easy
Time: 15-20 minutes
Cost: Less than $15

Pipe wrap insulation
Elmer's rubber cement

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
My sunglasses have their own little pouch that came with the sunglasses. No rattle at all.

·
Professional Driver
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My sunglasses have their own little pouch that came with the sunglasses. No rattle at all.
Yeah, I have one of those too. That was the first thing I tried, but it was a hassle to always put the glasses in and out of the pouch. Plus, I frequently reach for the sunglasses after I've already started driving. This little fix makes life way easier. :smile

·
Registered
207 Posts
I always have a microfiber cloth wrapped around my sunglasses when its in there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I never had the rattle also, strange problem really. My sunglasses were really not expensive. I never saw the point in buying really expensive sunglasses. It is just an accessory that you can live without. I got mine on layoners.com and the model is Steam Silver. I was not sure that they would look good on me at first, but when I got the chance to try them out they were really good. For only $35 I got really good quality sunglasses that are durable and even fashionable. No one would ever guess that they are that cheap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts