The Nissan Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One thing that's been bothering me is the Sunroof deflector, I didn't want one, but my dealer said he'd throw it in for free. What I want to know is, Is the noise that bad when you take the deflector off? I don't like how the deflector looks, I think it ruins the streamline of the car.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I don't have the deflector and don't think it's bad at all. I have not ridden in one that has the deflector to compare, but how much quiter can it be when it's not normally noisey. I agree with you, like the concept, but don't like the looks on the alty.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Difference?

My SE-R does not have one.
My Alty does have one.

Difference in noise level?
I can't tell any difference.

To me, it's a purely asthetic
accessory. I Can live with it,
or without it!

·
Registered
35 Posts
the dealer did the same thing with me..just threw it in even though i didn't care for it. i drove around with it for a day, but like you, i don't like the way it looks at all, so i took it off. it's really, really easy to take off and seems like its just as easy to put back on.

it actually makes a little difference with noise and a huge difference with the amount of wind in the car. i don't mind the noise so much, cause i listen to the radio and don't really pay attention to it, but the air flow is annoying. when i had it on hardly any air would get into the car. it was cold out and i didn't even feel it. with it off though, you will definitley feel the cold air and it will blow your hair a little. i'm still gonna leave mine off though cause i really don't like the looks with it, but i might put it on if i'm giong on a roadtrip or something.

peace

·
Registered
35 Posts
it's not really a deflector that pops up, and barely does anything, as it only raises maybe an inch above the roof.

that is one hell of idea though.

you're just going to have to check it out for yourself. like i said it's really easy to take off.

peacae

·
Official Troll
2,695 Posts
I have a '01 SE that came with a sunroof wind deflector. And yes, it does reduce noise. But I took mine off because all sorts fo crap would collect under the deflector, ie twigs, leaves, dirt. Without the deflector, any crap on the roof wouls blow off. The sunroof dries quicker after a rain, and I can open the sunroof sooner.

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,759 Posts
deflector

I have an extra one!:angel1:

·
Former Honda owner
71 Posts
jstefdog said:
the dealer did the same thing with me..just threw it in even though i didn't care for it. i drove around with it for a day, but like you, i don't like the way it looks at all, so i took it off. it's really, really easy to take off and seems like its just as easy to put back on.

it actually makes a little difference with noise and a huge difference with the amount of wind in the car. i don't mind the noise so much, cause i listen to the radio and don't really pay attention to it, but the air flow is annoying. when i had it on hardly any air would get into the car. it was cold out and i didn't even feel it. with it off though, you will definitley feel the cold air and it will blow your hair a little. i'm still gonna leave mine off though cause i really don't like the looks with it, but i might put it on if i'm giong on a roadtrip or something.

peace
you got it exactly. i took mine off after about a month. just didn't like the look. noise is minimal, but is there. also will get a bit more wind on top of your head.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I took my deflector off the first week I had the car. I like the clean looks of the roof better without it, plus one other thing. In the winter months, it's going to be a dirt and debri catcher. In the nicer seasons, at least you can keep things clean more often.

As far as effects, the deflector does reduce interior noise, but the biggest difference is the buffeting in the cabin from the air. The deflector cuts this down quite a lot, to almost nothing.

Paul V
2002 Alty SE
Silver/Charcoal
214CID V6
Manual Trans

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sunroof Thoughts

I don't have my Alty yet, but it should be here in 4 weeks. (Super Black, 3.5 SE, 5spd manual). I can't wait.
I agree with not having the $60 piece of plastic on the roof--millions spent on styling design and then add this item? Doesn't seem to make sense. I test drove several, and found this deflector did divert the wind and noise a little, however.

I am not getting the sun roof on the car. Instead, I am doing an ASC aftermarket sunroof. There are several advantages to this, in my opinion:

1. A multifunction, programmable, attractive switch, mounted where I want it. This means I don't lose the driver side reading light.
2. The installation is done with a high grade substrate on the headliner, giving the car a more luxurious look, and the headliner a more luxurious feel.
3. This sunroof has a true popup wind deflector.
4. The warranty is 6 years parts, 3 years labor, no mileage restriction. Does not effect the factory warranty on the vehicle at all.

Just a thought for those considering buying. I also couldn't find a vehicle with ABS and sunroof that did not have other options I did not want.
I did alot of debating between the Passat and the Altima, but in the end I opted for the performance, because I like to drive. Also, the Passat is German engineered supposedly, but it is assembled in Mexico and I truly question their long term reliability. I prefer a timing chain to a single belt anyday. Good Luck

·
Registered
32 Posts
outside plastic thingies such as deflectors for the sunroof or the one on the hood are a pain because you can't use a drive-in carwash.
Those powerful blowdryers at the end of the carwash ripped out my hood deflector a few years back. Gotta wash the car by hand. So think about it.

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
5,759 Posts
by hand........always!

I never take my car through a car wash!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Always something better
1,037 Posts
Hand washing is better

Handwashing does a better job, the car wash will leave swirls on the paint and start to make the surface have a slight texture, and it is an Altima easy to clean compared to a Pathfinder.

I guess it depends on your age and if your into that sort of thing

·
Registered
32 Posts
Re: Hand washing is better

EDGE said:
Handwashing does a better job, the car wash will leave swirls on the paint and start to make the surface have a slight texture, and it is an Altima easy to clean compared to a Pathfinder.

I guess it depends on your age and if your into that sort of thing
French Cuisine is way better than hamburgers. But I don't always have the time or energy to cook everything myself, so I sometimes get some cheap take-out food.
Same thing with car washing. On a nice Saturday I'll hand wash it, but when I need a quick wash, I go to the car wash.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I take my car through car washes in the off seasons, but ONLY the TOUCHLESS variety.. water and soap only, NO RAGS, BRUSHES, OR SUCH OF ANY KIND FOR MY CARS.

Yeah, I suspect the heavy blowers in some of these car washes could do some damage to a wind deflector. I don't go to those kinds of car washes, either.

Bottom line, nothing beats washing by hand when you are able to do this.

Paul V
2002 Alty SE
Silver/Charcoal
214CID V6
Manual Trans

1 - 19 of 19 Posts