The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
CrAqHeAd
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I was driving around LI and I saw a 3.5 altima with a sunroof, but no sunroof deflector.. I thought it looked pretty sweet. I have a sunroof deflector for my sunroof now, but since seeing the way the car looks without it I think I want to remove mine. The question is, what does the sunroof deflector actually do? what is its purpose? Is there a great noticable difference when the sunroof is open without the deflector?

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Well as the name "Sunroof Wind Deflector" implies, the function of this chuck of plastic is to deflect wind away from the sunroof. I removed mine after the first week...hated the way it looked and all the noise it generated, plus I personally found it was actually less windy without it than with it...plus the noise level at highway speeds dropped dramatically.

Worst $70 I ever spent on a car accessory.

If yours has been on for longer than a month be prepared to have permanent scratches embedded in your roof from the dirt that gets caught under that thing...mine polished out but it was a near thing after only a couple weeks on it being on there.

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
15,286 Posts
Hell..I like mine...so much I have 2 of them

·
Registered
180 Posts
It does absolutely nothing. My 2001 Maxima had one and the wind noise was so bad at any speed that I could barely hear my stereo (and I had the 200 watt Bose). The noise was so annoying that I didn't even like to have the roof popped, let alone open. My 2003 Altima does not have one and it's great - so much less wind noise, I can actually use my sunroof now.

·
Registered
174 Posts
wild willy said:
Hell..I like mine...so much I have 2 of them
Willy,

If memory serves me correctly, you were the one who had an extra one in your trunk when you brought your Alty home?

If not, someone else here shared that story about a yea ago...:rolleyes:

We had one of the defected ones (that cracked easily) , were without it for about 6 months on national backorder, just got it back on, and I must say, I think it does make driving around with the sunroof much more quieter.

~trippn

·
M W S
1,274 Posts
My 3 cents... (most opinions are only worth 2 cents)

I think the deflector works very well. There is a lot less wind noise when using the sunroof.

The amount of wind noise created by the deflector is not that much.

·
enlighten me
904 Posts
I had a defective one, when I noticed the cracks, I removed it. Tdoyle is correct, lots of scuffs under it from dirt that gets trapped. I finally got that all polished away. Last weekend I had my microfilter changed and they replaced the deflector. I must say the new one is much thicker plastic, they let me keep the old one too. I will probably remove it again when I get ready to give it a good washing. I can't decide if I like it on or off better.

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
15,286 Posts
Trippindaddy...Yes that was me with the extra one in the trunk...I thought for sure mine would crack..but it is as good as new..The key is not to overtighten the screws.

·
Registered
123 Posts
i specifically told nissan that i did not want one on my car. they tried to get me to go for it, but personally i cant stand the way they look(no offense guys).

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I removed mine the first weekend I had the car which was right away since I purchased it on a Friday. I did some tests with and without it and found that it did reduce wind noise and intrusion into the cabin, but I don't care for the way it looks.

But more importantly, it can be a debris trap, so you need to keep the area behind it clean. Also, it can discolor your paint because it hides a small amount from the sun. Lastly, the clips can conceivably promote rust and can cause the sunroof seal to take a "seat" which can lead to leaks.

If you remove it often, keep the area clean, and keep an eye on things.. and if you don't mind how it looks, all is probably well.

·
Sarcastic Member
3,548 Posts
I want one :( They are on back order for like 6 months right now with Nissan. Does anybody in the NY area have one in good condition that they would like to get rid of for a nice price ? ? Thanks

·
CrAqHeAd
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
how come you want one? just curious? If i decide to take mine off, id be happy to give it to you.. But I really am not sure if i want to yet.. plus when i take it off, i want to see how badly the polish/paint is underneath..

·
Registered
174 Posts
NVS aLtiMa said:
I want one :( They are on back order for like 6 months right now with Nissan. Does anybody in the NY area have one in good condition that they would like to get rid of for a nice price ? ? Thanks
As in my earlier reply NVS, the 6 month wait is over. They are starting to pour into your local dealers now. Call them up and demand to be on the installation waiting list. I would think it safe to say that after 6 months or more, that the dealers have misplaced some of the customers information who were waiting that long.

The parts mgr told me (and this could be complete crap) that the same deflector was used on the Alty and the Max. He stated that after the defects claims, the new ones being issued are made respectively for each car now. Personally, after getting this new one, I don't see one inch of difference on it, but who knows.

~trippn

·
Winter hater!
549 Posts
Never liked 'em....

Dealer had already installed the SR deflector on all their Altys...

I removed it upon arriving home when I took delivery! I personally hate the look of the deflector, and IMO it has no functional value.

·
M W S
1,274 Posts
Re: Never liked 'em....

altiman02 said:
I personally hate the look of the deflector, and IMO it has no functional value.
I can understand the statement that you don't like the way it looks, but the part where you say it has no function makes absolutely no sense.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
^^ Oh it has a function, but some owners find it to be detrimental to the noise and wind rather than to improve the situation.

I pulled mine and the car is alot better without it.

·
CrAqHeAd
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
if i pull mine off and there is scratches or whatever you say might be under there, whats the best way to get the scratches out? was there alot of scratches? i have a silver color ext..

·
Sarcastic Member
3,548 Posts
phish368 said:
how come you want one? just curious? If i decide to take mine off, id be happy to give it to you.. But I really am not sure if i want to yet.. plus when i take it off, i want to see how badly the polish/paint is underneath..
Well I like it mainly because of its looks especially whem Im walking towards it from a distance. I dont get what its purpose is but it looks nice to me :cool: Plus my Honda had it and I was used to seeing it there, and now it looks sort of strange when I look up and dont see it now. So whenever you decide to take it off, let me know, I'll be more than happy to take it off ur hands :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I personally like the sunroof wind deflector. My 1991 Honda Accord has it, and I think it adds to the looks of the Altima. I have always liked sunroof wind deflectors. My Altima, Accord, Camry, Passat or Mazda6 will have the deflector because I used to seeing it on my car.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts