The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I've had my Altima for a week now and I'm noticing a lot of wind noise from the sunroof when it's closed. Anyone else have the same problem? I'm going to take it to the dealer but wanted to hear if anyone else had experienced this.

Cheers,
...Colin

·
Future Z Driver
215 Posts
Mine does the same thing. There's a TSB out for it. I'm going to have my dealer look at it next time I bring it in.

·
I have a NISMO oil cap
1,213 Posts
I don't know if this may be the problem, but I also was getting a lot of wind noise, but I figured out it was because after closing the sunroof, I didn't let it go all the way back up at it's angled position.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mufflers

MY 2002 3.5 is way to quiet. I'd like to give it a noticable but not Obnoxious rumble. Anybody have a SS muffler they would recommend which would not require jury rigging or alterations and maybe add a couple of HP in the process?

G

·
I was having the noise problem with the sunroof and they tried to fix it last week. Well it is back today with Nissan attempting to put an end to the never ending saga of the "service engine soon" light that always comes on, and hopefully fix the wind noise problem.

In looking through the service manual, it is clear on mine the gaps on the moonroof are incorrect. The front of the roof is slightly elevated above the surrounding sheetmetal where the back is slightly (about 1/8") below the sheet metal. I had to take the service advisor out and physically show him the problem because he couldn't figure out the right questions to ask. Perhaps the service advisors should take a look at the Nissan service manual because it tells them specifically what questions to ask. I will post if they fixed the wind noise.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Did you order the Sunroof wind deflector or are you running it without? I think the deflector will inherently produce wind noise. I've run to 125 mph and didn't notice wind noise. I am running the deflector. However I was so intent on driving that I wouldn't have noticed if someone was making wind inside the car let alone outside if you know what I mean.:angel1:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same with mine. You can hear it loud when you're cruising on a highway with 100KM with the cover open and 120KM+ with the cover close. I brought it to one of the dealer close to my office and they took it to a highway, and the respone from them is the weather is not that good, a little snow on the highway and it was a windy day, and they didn't hear any wind noice, etc. (what the f##k is that). And they said the sunroof is sealed and they cannot do anything.:angry2: I will bring it to another dealer this weekend.

·
Future Z Driver
215 Posts
I don't have the wind deflector. The wind noise becomes noticible around 60 mph and is pretty loud above 80. At that point I have to close the shade to keep it from bothering me.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have the same problem. At about 60mph there is a slight whistling noise. Took it to the dealer and they said they adjusted it as far as they can and they are going to order a new seal and install that and see if it helps. When at speed and I push up on the front of the sunroof the noise stops, so there must be a mismatch there somewhere.

They are also adding a resistor?? to the coil pack to try and cut the radio popping noise. The servcie manager said they would have to order that and do it later.

William

·
Registered
5 Posts
sunroof wind noise

That is HILARIOUS!!! That is EXACTLY what I do! (notice around 60 - close shield at 80)

I had a sunroof in my 91 SE-R --RIP 12.29.00 :( --anyhoo... and it never made any noise at all - that is why I think something must be wrong with my Alty (3.5 SE Auto).

The wind noise is completely obnoxious - i actually find that by tilting the glass up - the wind noise is reduced - or at least it changes to a more pleasant howl. I am also 6'7", so maybe my head is closer to the roof than most - making it worse?

just my 2c.

:D

·
Consumer Advocate
93 Posts
I believe the problem lies not only in the sunroof not being completely fush with the roof and the lining around the sunroof not sealed enough to oppose wind, but if you look at the car from the side you will note how the roof slopes ever so slightly downward. Wind thus directly hits the sunroof edges that you can see from the front of the car. That is why folks with the sunroof visor will not be affected by this noise as the wind is redirected over the fron portion ofthe sunroof, well away from the edges.

If you want to test this theory just put some scotch tape over the edges and drive down the freeway to see if you can hear the noise or not.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK, I'll go beat my dealer over the head then. Thanks!

Oh, and by the way, I originally had the sunroof wind deflector and it was only when I removed it that I got the bad wind noise. With the wind deflector installed there was no wind noise.

Cheers,
...Colin

·
Registered
17 Posts
Wind noise coming from my roof also. It gets quite embarrasing if others are in the Car. Usually just keep the cover closed which helps. Let us know if anyone actually can get a dealer to fix it.

Only 1200km on my car at this point still a while to go before I see my dealer for the 1st service.

G

·
I think the dealers don't have a clue what is going on. When I spoke to them yesterday to see if my car was ready they told me that wind noise was a common feature with all cars. What a load of BS. My girlfriend has a altima without noise and none of my other 4 cars with sunroofs made any wind noise at all. As I mentioned in my previous post, ther is a difference between the roof and the sunroof buy about 1/8". I even showed the service guy the gap and they are still saying that it is normal for a car to do this. Last time I got this load of BS, they told me that I was crazy because the speedo checked out on their "consult" computer. Here in NJ we have a three strike lemon law. If after the second time they can't fix a problem, you send them a certified letter and if they don't fix it after the third time your entitled to a new car or your money back.

So far, 6 times to fix the fuel system emissions control system (service engine soon light) three times to get them to fix the speedo, I fixed the gas cap door which the managed to screw up so you couldn't open it and pump gas, three times to fix the trim around the front windshield (it took longer because they cracked the windshield) and a number of other "minor" things that they had to fix.

I think I speak for everyone, the car is wonderful but these little bs things really take away from the driving experience. I don't agree with people who say they never get it right the first year. For the money we pay, they should get it right, that is what testing is all about. Seems that a lot of other car companies can get it right. I had a ford and I didn't have this many problems for the entire time I had the thing. Perhaps Nissan was just blowing smoke when they hung their hopes of saving the company on the new altima.

I suggest that everyone check their local lemon laws and if you start to get jerked around, write the letter and get the ball rolling. Perhaps Nissan will get the message and get their heads screwed on correctly

·
Registered
11 Posts
PCSGRP: Sorry to hear about all your problems. We have not had any problems with our 3.5 SE. We have driven it over 4K now, have no wind noise, no service engine soon lights or any other problems. The car has been a joy. we do have popping noises in the radio but the TSB will take car of that. You just might have a lemon or an early production run. We bought ours in November. There is a TSB on the wind noice/ sun roof.

This is the first car I can safely climb into with out bumping my head on the door window frame. I'm 6'2" and the leg room is outstanding for me. I love this car. No problems, worries, faults and gobs of power and on cruise and flat terrrain I get over 30 mpg.

For those of you who have a concern about the headlight lenses getting sand blasted (they're plastic), you can get a 3M flim to cover/protect them and the fog lamps. Search around the internet for headlight coverings. MY set was $55.00. Application is a 7 difficultly rating but if you take your time and use a lot of elbow effort you will be rewarded with a completely non-noticeable covering.
:confused:

G

·
Todd in CT.

Thanks for you kind words. I think the altama as a car is great. I held off getting a car last spring after seeing it at the auto show. Had I not seen that car, I would be driving around in a Jaguar X-Type.

Since I got the car, only three "minor" problems occurred. The service engine light, speedo way in error and a molding around the windshield was not aligned correctly.

Well the service engine light issue has been in for 6 times. The first time they said I didn't close the gas cap, the second they said that they needed to reset the computer, the next time they said theyreplaced the cap and the other times they said they fixed the problem. I dropped the car off monday and I just got a call that Nissan now wants them to change the gas tank. Bottom line, I will be without my car until tomorrow or friday, if the parts arrive. However, they have agreed to give me a rental until it is fixed.

In the mean time, at last weeks trip to the service department they messed up the door to the fuel tank when they were trying to figure out why the service engine light came on. Unfortunately, I didn't know this until friday afternoon when I was at a gas station, almost empty ready to go to Vermont for a weekend on the slopes. Couldn't get the filler door open. Called Nissan to ask if they had an emergency release for the fuel filler door because the manual doesn't have any information about this and they said they called engineering and couldn't help me. They suggested I call the service department and when I did, they couldn' help me but when they asked the tech, he said he noticed that the door was sticking and he had a hard time opening it as part of his trying to fix the problem...Daaa perhaps they should have fixed it at that time! Fortunately I figured out you can slide a thin card in there and release the door so my commitments for the weekend worked out.

I was also upset about Nissan treating me like a total jerk when I told them that about the speedo reading incorrectly (now a recognized problem that a lot of altima owners are having). They insisted that their computer system checked it out and it was correct. It took 3 attempts of discussing it and defining the problem before it was replaced. It doesn't take a PhD to figure this stuff out but they go by their Consult computer and the service manual. This is the same service manual that instructs you to take the bumper off to change a headlight bulb!

The attempt to fix the molding resulted in them breaking the windshield. It took two additional service calls to fix that!

All in all, I had to use 5 vacation days to get these things fixed. Because of the location of the dealer not being near my house, it is a real pain to get the car to the dealer and get to Manhattan. Overall these experiences have been a sour spot on an otherwise wonderful experience with the car

I have a fuse a mile long and have given Nissan ample time to fix these minor problems. What is a problem for me is that the service department really doesn't understand how to fix cars. They can talk about the new "electronic" cars and everything but even the Nissan Service manual lays out procedure and states that the customer is usually very good at understand problems. For a lot of the problems, they have entire lines of questions to try and identify problems. Not one time did the service advisor or the tech ask me any of the question in the service manual for the problems I was having. Finally on monday the service advisor (after some pushing by me) came outside to look at the sunroof and how out of aligment it was. As far as they were concerned the tech fixed the problems because that is what he wrote on the service order.

One slick think in noticed they are now doing. They are not closing out the service orders on me. For the last two times I have taken it in for these things to be fixed, I didn't get a receipt for the work. I noticed monday that they pulled a repair ticket from a few weeks ago and so it appears like they never cleared the car as being fixed. I guess with the good NJ lemon law, they are starting to be concerned.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My car was making the same whistleing sound and the dealer kept the car for a day and figured out the clips that hooked the wind deflector on are not aligned properly. The technician took the clips and bent them so they would not create any noise. The clips were not allowing the roof seal to fully close. Now my car is quiet.:D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts