The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Import Tech.
1,903 Posts
Sorry there are no bolt on superchargers avaliable for the KA24DE !!!!!

·
Tofu Shop Owner
888 Posts
I thought Vortec was working on one? :confused:

·
Illest in Nebraska
1,168 Posts
SHAWN said:
Sorry there are no bolt on superchargers avaliable for the KA24DE !!!!!
that may not be tru, there is one I forget what it was called though, donnie mentioned it a while ago, he said it was an option for him a while back. Ian ask donnie he should be able to help you out.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I was seriously looking into this last spring. No one makes one for are car, at least at that time. I called vortec and they said that they don't have one for our cars and nothing was in the works. But, they gave me a shops address in California that will do custom one of a kind set-ups for about $4000 and they need the car for 3-4weeks. I'm in CT so that was out. I guess once they do it once they might have a kit. I forget the shops name but do a search, I posted it several months back.

·
Tofu Shop Owner
888 Posts
Sleeper said:
I was seriously looking into this last spring. No one makes one for are car, at least at that time. I called vortec and they said that they don't have one for our cars and nothing was in the works. But, they gave me a shops address in California that will do custom one of a kind set-ups for about $4000 and they need the car for 3-4weeks. I'm in CT so that was out. I guess once they do it once they might have a kit. I forget the shops name but do a search, I posted it several months back.
Oooh! Post the name/address! I'd be really interested in talking to these guys.

·
Nympho
242 Posts
mrdeucie said:
turbos and superchargers give you power in different parts of the powerband I think.
yes understandable but who really cares? our cars make that mid range hp and tq already. so a supercharger isnt all that needed, at least IMO. Correct me if i'm wrong but supercharger it speeds up the belt timing, while a turbocharger adds boost pressure for the air? so what i'm saying a supercharger adds lowend speed (which i think the altimas already has enough lowend) while turbo's boost raises at a higher rpm.. which in theory with the 4000 rpm peak hp... would sustain and higher that on the topend?

well this may sound very confusing.. considering i am confused writing about it. i just dont understand why we are talking about superchargers.. while there already IS a turbo from f-max out on the market..

dave

·
Resistance is futile
1,952 Posts
And a turbo can be sized/tuned for gobs of torque at the expense of top end. Just look at the Cummins Turbo deisel, or any other truck with a turbo deisel.
My Dodge Spirit turbo 2.5 made great torque with almost no turbo lag, but there was no point in running past 5000 rpm, because you were getting out of the powerband already.

·
founding father
1,952 Posts
the supercharger that would be the easiest to work into an altima because of space is the whipple screwtype supercharger.
but there aren't many people in the USA that are very knowledgable when it comes to the whipple
remember when comparing and contrasting superchargers vs turbo's there are very large differences.

with a bolt on supercharger kit the 2 biggest plusses are that
1- there is much less maintenance when compared to a turbo kit
2- you get the low-end torque which is where you spend the majority of time driving
the negatives are few but there are some
1- you cannot "tune" it for more power other than changing to a different pulley. its not like a turbo where you can crank up the boost. you are limited really to +/- a few PSI

with a turbo kit there are very good +/-'s also.
1- they are very tunable. you can change turbo's itself and can be tuned for a different driving need
2- they are more impressive underhood than a blower
but there are more negatives than a blower also
1- more more intensive to install.
2- more more intensive to tune
3- very finnicky if not done right
4- more expensive

these are huge generalizations i realize that completely but what it comes down to is, do you want lowend torque that is pretty much an "install and forget about" or do you want to be able to upgrade and up the boost? turbo's are my choice cuz thats what imports are known for

·
Import Tech.
1,903 Posts
NewAltima said:

yes understandable but who really cares? our cars make that mid range hp and tq already. so a supercharger isnt all that needed, at least IMO. Correct me if i'm wrong but supercharger it speeds up the belt timing, while a turbocharger adds boost pressure for the air? so what i'm saying a supercharger adds lowend speed .

dave
[/QUOTE

Both a turbo and supercharger add boost ... the difference is where the boost comes in , turbos are exhaust driven and take some time for the exhaust to turn the turbine fast enough to make boost ,thats called lag , where a supercharger is driven by a belt off the crank , so it is instant boost , no lag .... they will both make boost on the high end so they will both make high end power , but a SC will make power off idle wher a turbo usualy wont make good boost untill about 2500 or so depending on the size of the turbo and a ton of other factors ..... The big problem with a SC 4 cyl. is than you usualy have to run less boost with a SC than a turbo because the 4 cyl. will blow up when to much boost is added at low RPM'S , where the turbo doesnt make much boost at the low RPM's so that isnt a problem .........

1 - 20 of 20 Posts