The Nissan Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this may have been asked many times but which is prefered on performance and over all better a supercharger or a Turbocharger with intercooler??????

·
missing El Polo Loco...
2,165 Posts
turbo is free power because it uses exhaust pulse to turn the impeler. a supercharger is driven directly from the crank, hence making parasitic drag. In term of packaging, turbo tends to need a lot of space while a supercharger can usually be tucked into one of the corners in the engine bay. Both can be tuned to give similar throttle response, but supercharger is more of a low to mid-range player, while turbo is a mid to top end player.

It depend on what you're actually after, since even a supercharger can be setup to be a top end player as well with an rpm actuated clutch on the pulley and bypass valve on the intake piping to bypass the S/C when you're not using it, but it won't be as efficient as a turbocharger. Either way you're getting boost. Either one can use intercooler as well. I'm actually planning on adapting an S/C since I can hide it somewhere in the engine bay.

·
Golden Member
1,834 Posts
yeah good points...

some general rules...

superchargers are lag free, whereas some turbo appilcations can be laggy (ie big turbo and lots of boost...)

thing about turbos is once u build the manifold its easy to swap with a bigger unit or increase the pressure for more power, but most superchargers are a fixed ratio unit.... and have limited potential for upgrading...but tend to be a lil' bit cheaper to set-up... mosts peeps go for turbos for this reason i suspect...

cheers

joe

·
what is in a name?
2,731 Posts
another general rule........................

SEARCH!

·
Dirt Looks good Sideways
443 Posts
Q) Is there a supercharger for the Altima?

A) I was pondering this since I wanted to stay away from NOS, so forced induction was the only choice left for me. I wanted to supercharge the car because I thought it would be easier, that and I could keep the look of it almost oem. However if you look at the layout of the motor you're going to run into some problems. If you put the Maxima motor next to the Altima motor you can see the VG30DE actually fills up the Maxima engine compartment less than the KA24DE motor fills the Altima's. And there is room to fit the supercharger in right next to the pulley system off the crank, and fit a air filter filament there. Now if you look back at the Altima you see that there is actually some space to put a supercharger, I believe one of the most compact ones was a Rotrex, there are several others out there. Ok so now it fits, but not you have to find a space to put an air filter somewhere, this actually isn't much of a problem you could probably make a tube and have it wind down below the frame. It's tight but it is possible. Now for the major problem, how are you going to runs this? Well off a belt and a pulley right? Well if you look down past the alternator you can see the crank pulley, no look at the clearance you have between the actual frame of the car, and the crank pulley. I'd say this is like under a half of an inch. Still tough but doable still. Now look at where the pulley would jut out, it would come dangerously close to the alternator belt. Well then you can also make the alternator pulley belt thinner as well. Ok you see where this is going, a lot of fabrication and a lot of going back and forth. Of course the fab guy and me came up with a pretty nice idea. You could run a pulley crank off the crank with a go kart axles, and then another crank off of this driving a pulley across the bottom of the engine and then from there to the supercharger. This would work, and it has been done before, but the thought of a solid axle breaking against the ground and then flying back through my engine and my firewall wasn't too appealing to me. All this fabrication pretty much killed the project. That and the fact that JWT had a reliable turbo program already made the turbo much easier to do. I would have to had the program for the supercharger mapped out on my car, meaning $$$. When you have a second, since probably almost none of you guys believe me, take a look under there. -UltimaSE

1 - 5 of 5 Posts