The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that no one makes a supercharger for our cars, but let's get this topic going again. Maybe someone has learned more or found a contact. THe last time I looked into it Vortech gave me a number of a shop in SoCal that would do one off custom jobs for $4000-5000 and 3 weeks with the car for fabrication/install. Has anyone considered going this route???

·
Registered
674 Posts
Check the faq, I posted something there a long while ago. In short pop open the hood and take a look at where the crank and pulleys are located. Take a look at how much space you have there. Placement for the actual supercharger unit would be extremely difficult to fit.

But I'll this post open, there might be some new interesting developments.

UltimaSE

·
$ make my Engine go Round
487 Posts
A friend of mine got his Jeep Wrangler (this baby is loaded to the hilt) supercharged by a place up here in Colorado, sorry I can't remember the name. Anyway I took my Altima in just for fun to see what they would say when he got his car back. When I first told him about it he said they had never done an Altima and would love to add it to their collection. After a little while of looking under the hood and poking around he told me that it would be a very difficult job, he said he might be able to get it in for about 6000, but he wasn't even sure about that. Then he started rambling off some mumbo jumbo about supercharges (which I know very little about :) and told me to go get a turbo, cause it would cost less for a better gain :)

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Remove the A/C Compressor

You would of course have to remove the A/C Compressor for space and access to a belt/pulley

·
Registered
674 Posts
That isn't a bad idea and it is a good start. Now you have to route piping from the supercharger to the throttle body. Again space is going to be the hardest thing to come by for this to occur. Another problem we ran into was that there simply either wasn't any room for the air filter or the air filter would be sitting completely exposed to the elements.

For me it was the idea of removing the ac compressor that stopped my idea, I wanted to keep ac. Also the fact that the air filter would be sitting exposed also posed a problem to me.

UltimaSE

·
NISSANCLUB.COM
4,763 Posts
I would not waste time and money fitting a supercharger into the altima. I am an avid Turbo fan, so I am biased. But to me, it just seems that SUPERcharging the altima is an idea which should remain in its theoretical stage.

Simply, does not make sense when you have such a convinient TURBO opportunity, for less money, time and stress.

·
Die Trying
2,063 Posts
Bigbird said:
I would not waste time and money fitting a supercharger into the altima. I am an avid Turbo fan, so I am biased. But to me, it just seems that SUPERcharging the altima is an idea which should remain in its theoretical stage.

Simply, does not make sense when you have such a convinient TURBO opportunity, for less money, time and stress.
good point

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Big Bird

I see your point about the turbo and it's availibility, but I am just curious about the s/c option. Look at the power the Vortech S/C set-up on the Civic created. I also want to explore this more since I have already installed a hotshot header and I don't want to replace it with turbo manifold. No one really knows how much power it would make and at what rpm.

·
Incognito
1,388 Posts
a supercharger is a parasitic drag on your car, just like having the A/C on while you race. It drives off your cams, which means you need to produce more power, just to go a little faster. The more resistance you have on any one part of your engine, the harder it will be for you to go faster. A turbo works on spent gasses leaving the engine, so it has nothing to do with parastitic drag. on the other hand, the benefit of superchargers are that they are availible immediately after you press the gas pedal, there is no spool up. If you're spending 5-6g's on a supercharger, just go turbo, you'll see better results.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It drives off the crankshaft, but same difference.
I don't know how the almost instant boost at low rpms will be to drive. It maybe too much load on the trans and also on the crankshaft? If you size the supercharger right you may also have an almost completely flat torque curve. These are all things that I want to look into and one of the reasons for starting this topic.

·
boosted
397 Posts
Only eaton/roots superchargers have instant boost at all revs. Centrifugal superchargers (i.e. vortech) are basically a compressor driven by a belt. But turbo compressors are more efficient. Centrifugal sc's can lag like turbos since they dont move much air efficiently until the turbine inside spins fast enough to overcome that inefficiency. Then once the sc starts moving air, boost rises with revs proportionally. I personally saw a vortech blown mustang get no boost until 2000revs, then the boost reached it's peak at the redline.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Chad

Your right. It would have to be a positive displacment S/C to get the instant boost. If you sized the pulley right on a centrifical s/c you maybe able to get boost to come in lower, but it may hurt your high rpm power. I really don't know what the limits are of S/C, what speeds they start to have problems with compressor velocities and efficiency. Idealy you would want boost to start around 1500rpms and peak around 5500-6000. This would be good for typical daily driving. ALso since our motors make peak power at 5400? rpms (maybe higher due to mods) in a race type situation 6000rpm shifts would drop you back into the middle of the power band. I see mustangs with s/c's and turbos all the time, there has to some goods and bads of each approach.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And it looks very hard to run a belt towards the firewall to drive a roots type blower mounted as part of the intake manifold. Jackson racing is able to do it on all the Honda so it may be possible?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Status

So, it looks like a positive displacment blower will not fit easily or at all on our cars. These leaves a centrifical one to mounted somehow. The location for the S/C needs to be able line up with the crank pulley, (no go cart axles across the engine bay for me).
If you live where you can handle no a/c then that would be a prime location for the s/c. Next question is placement of the air filter/intake to the s/c. I was thinking running some piping into the right front fender similar to the PR intake. Next is the intercooler location. Best spot, same as turbo location or a bottom mount for a sleeper look. From there you run all your plumbing the same as a turbo set up. The JWT turbo program should work, basically it retards the timing as the boost increase and adds more fuel.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Who's the guy who yanked off his A/C for weight reductions? He should have some input on the space available in that area? NissanFreak or Nissan Lunatic??

·
:-)
1,239 Posts
Superchargers do give you an immediate power gain when u press the gas, but remember for a 2.4L 4cyl. running like 8 psi, it'll spool up quite fast.

·
Incognito
1,388 Posts
I yanked off my a/c but it still does not give you ample space, the compressor is below your engine near the passenger side front tire, most of the hosing is right where an sc would go, but that doesnt do much.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts