The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
slow poke
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my 4-2-1 header installed today and this thing is pretty sweet. I'm running with a clogged intake b/c I'm still waiting on my JWT pop charger. I got alot more torque out of it than I thought. I haven't been able to hold my ebrake and spin the wheels in awhile and now I can again. I had to get it professionally installed b/c I had a straight pipe and no cat so it couldn't just bolt right up. The only thing that I don't like about it is that it is SO DAMN LOUD!!!! I am in the market for a new exhaust or possibly just a muffler to get a deeper tone out of it. Right now it sounds like a whole bunch of pissed of bumble bees in a tin can which I don't like. Any suggestions for a good combo to make for a deep tone(Hot SHot Header, straight pipe w/no cat, and what kind of exhaust)

·
slow poke
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I was planning on hopefully getting a high flow cat and a cat back exhaust b/c of how loud it is. I figure that if I am going to have a loud ass car, I might as well have the hp to back up the sound.

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
Mandrel bent exhaust system will go a long way in helping the exhaust note.

·
slow poke
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
flarearrow said:
Mandrel bent exhaust system will go a long way in helping the exhaust note.
Yeah, thats what I was thinking. I don't really have the money right now for a full cat back b/c of all the money I dropped at once(Header+Install, JWT pop charger). How much do you think it will cost for a 2.25" mandrel bent piping? I want to get the most out of the header all the way out through the exhaust.

·
There is no substitute.
2,032 Posts
i woulda saved the money and got a cheap wai and put it towards an exhaust...u may just wanna save up and get a greddy cat-back if you wanna be sure u'll get good sound.

·
clean freak
3,377 Posts
I just ordered mine and can't wait to get it installed. I will have close the setup you have. I have the Stillen WAI, Greddy and soon the header.

·
slow poke
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PorscheKid said:
i woulda saved the money and got a cheap wai and put it towards an exhaust...u may just wanna save up and get a greddy cat-back if you wanna be sure u'll get good sound.
I've had 2 cheap ass warm air intakes that I was never happy with them. I can't really afford the full catback right now.

·
slow poke
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
skizot said:
I just ordered mine and can't wait to get it installed. I will have close the setup you have. I have the Stillen WAI, Greddy and soon the header.
Hey scott, how much did you buy your greddy for and do you know if the down pipe on the header is 2.25"

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
jree said:
Yeah, thats what I was thinking. I don't really have the money right now for a full cat back b/c of all the money I dropped at once(Header+Install, JWT pop charger). How much do you think it will cost for a 2.25" mandrel bent piping? I want to get the most out of the header all the way out through the exhaust.
Trust me, you want to go mandrel bent. From all the people that I've heard from, those with a mandrel bent catback systems don't have the raspy-ness or can-o-bee sound from their header.

·
clean freak
3,377 Posts
I got my Greddy for $550 installed. I would have installed it myself, but figuring with local tax, install and everything only came to $550, it was worth it. I think SWA sells it for $490, not sure???

Also I believe the hotshot downpipe is 2.25", can anyone confirm this? I think the header pipe themselves are 1.75" each.

·
Liquid-Ink Venom Kit!
2,307 Posts
You still might be raspy but not as bad....I got a magnaflow street muffler.....not the race series....seach around this topic has been beaten to death........

HEADERS MAKE NOISE!.......I have a high flow cat and a big fat resonator with mandrel bent pipe.....still loud but nice.

·
slow poke
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
AlienAlt said:
You still might be raspy but not as bad....I got a magnaflow street muffler.....not the race series....seach around this topic has been beaten to death........

HEADERS MAKE NOISE!.......I have a high flow cat and a big fat resonator with mandrel bent pipe.....still loud but nice.
I know it has. I have been researching the issue for awhile now but I am about to put my car in the shop again. I am in South Fla which is a non emissions state so I don't really need the cat. The muffler shop guy that put my other muffler on said he would put a resonator on my car to tone it down alittle. Do you guys think that I should forget about my cat altogether and just do a resonator, mandrel bent piping, than muffler setup?

·
slow poke
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
AlienAlt said:
Well......i think the catco i have may have contributed the the initial noise problem....so im not sure....I know a resonator will help alot though.
So since I am not in a emission tested state, do you think I should forget about the cat and just do a resonator back system and if so, what kind of muffler do you suggest? From what I have searched, the magnaflow street series mufflers like the 14829 is a good exhaust
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/mirrorfinish/streetseries.htm

EDIT: I want a deeper toned exhaust and right now my car sounds like I don't have anythin except for a straight pipe and a tip

·
slow poke
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
jree said:
So since I am not in a emission tested state, do you think I should forget about the cat and just do a resonator back system and if so, what kind of muffler do you suggest? From what I have searched, the magnaflow street series mufflers like the 14829 is a good exhaust
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/mirrorfinish/streetseries.htm

EDIT: I want a deeper toned exhaust and right now my car sounds like I don't have anythin except for a straight pipe and a tip
Nevermind about this, I just did a search on Magnaflow and found out that you have a magnaflow w/mandrel bent piping. I think that I am just gonna go w/resonator, mandrel bent piping and the exhaust Mangnaflow 14829. How much did you end up spending on the mandrel bend?

·
clean freak
3,377 Posts
russman said:
I have a greddy cat-back and no cat, sounds niceeee, no bees what so ever! HS header is on the way...
Greddy is like that :D The Header will bring some bees, but not the killer kind :D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts