The Nissan Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody know if the OBDI ecu can be made to fit OBDII equiped cars? I realize there would be some issues, but how difficult?

Supposedly, Hondas benefit from OBDI ecus, even mods make a little more power with the OBDI. For all of you Honda experts on this, uh, altima site, isn't this true?

just something to think about...

·
hard on equipment
862 Posts
I'm sure anything's possible with the know-how, time, and money. This would be a swap requiring lots of all three.
I imagine if you rewired the engine-monitoring equipment completely, as well as all the other computerized components in the car, it'd be possible. But there'd be some reprogramming involved almost certainly, and you'd have to know how those computers are programmed.
I'd say the biggest problem is that almost everything in the car is linked somehow to the computer, and you have to accomodate all the different systems.

·
Registered
498 Posts
the amount of time/knowledge it would take is in now way worth any performace gain that it could offer, you would be better off spending you time on a diff motor or turbo system. Changing the ecu to an older one is opening a can of worms on our cars since the community doesnt really have the knowledge about the programs the computer contains.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
yea..it is too much of a hassle to do it. i was planning on doing this so i can get the upgraded turbo programmed ecu from jwt. its not worth it.

·
hard on equipment
862 Posts
Is there a reason JWT won't upgrade the 2nd gen ECU for turbo use? Isn't it pretty much the same computer? I mean, all Alty's are OBDII, right?

·
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was just wondering about this ecu swapping because, supposedly some of the honda ecus can just plug right in(or maybe use a special wire harness). Just wondering if it's that easy for the altimas.

If it's simple, then it can be a worthwhile mod, assuming you make more hp with OBDI.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
i believe the 95 and earlier models are obdI and the rest are obdII. its a real bitch to be able to mess with the air/fuel curve. and the reason why honda/acuras can swap out ecu's is because their cars are simple. i can install springs in a civic in 2 hours..by myself..with handtools. now when i dropped my altima..that bitch took a lot longer. just look at the engine bay of a honda and then a nissan. it seems like ours have too many damn wires and things chilling in each corner.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts