The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 Sentra SR with a nav head unit (see "unit A" below) and am curious to know if it's possible to swap that unit out for a 2019 unit (see "unit B" below) while maintaining steering wheel controls, backup camera functionality, and a USB phone connection? Also, is the wiring 1:1 between the units, or do I need to obtain a harness?

Lastly, can anyone confirm whether the unit with part #: 2591A5UD0A is, carplay/android auto compatible, and, if not, which unit has that functionality?

Thanks in advance!

(unit A) (unit B)

·
Registered
82 Posts
First of all, its possible but not at all, here's why.

You'll need to modify your wiring harness, from the 33 pin connector that the nav unit has to the 40 pin connector of the new radio.

Second, yes the model 2591A-5UD0A indeed has carplay and android auto, but for me, wasn't worth it because i had better expectations for it.

I tried to install it on my 2017 sentra nismo but i had some issues.

The first issue which is the one you have to be aware of is that you can see the model name is 2591A-5UD0A BUT some radios are configured in different ways (software and hardware), for example, the radio of an nv200 does not have input for the rear speakers, why? Because its a cargo van and would be pointless to have rear speakers, and the wiring varies as the mic of the sentra isn't compatible. Although they look the same, they work differently. You have to find one that came from a sentra or at least a versa so it would work with your sentra.

The second issue was the wiring, the wiring is the most difficult, although i know what most of the cables of the wiring do, i wasn't unable to make the rear camera to work when i put it in reverse only when i manually activate it from settings. Here's the wiring, attached you'll see what most cables do.

For the aux i meant black, white and red.

The third issue is that, as not many people have done this, there's not much information about the wiring of this radios, and fun fact the one that looks similar to this one with the model 28021-9EK0A is the base radio for the 2019

in other words is the same as the radios that had Bluetooth but weren't touch screen (see pic) but the difference is that the newer base model has touch and its overpriced for what it offers.

And last but not least, this is a point of view that i had, i had the nav unit and i didn't need the phone to look for a place where i would like to go and if my phone died and had no way to charge it, i can use the built-in navigation from the SD card map to go from point A to point B without worrying.

But with the carplay is different, you need to have your phone connected, when you play audio via usb it really isn't that optimized as you cannot increase or decrease volume throughout your phone, only through the steering wheel or the radio, but sometimes it will lag, depends on the radio, not all will do it but some will.
And to use the maps you have to use your device and you'll need your data to use it and if you don't have or have slow data, you're kinda screwed or if you're in a place where data is unavailable, you're screwed.

That would be pretty much it, overall i prefer the navigation radio with the SD card, but sincerely it's what you really want, i hope you the best, good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello yes i was able to do it, but it takes a lot of time, and this method only works for the clusters that have the big display at the center because it controls the steering wheel commands.
Gotcha I have a 2018 and was wanting to do this, not much information online about it

·
Registered
82 Posts
Sure, if you have the radio and all the plugs i would be able to help you, also just to let you know you have to rewire some cables from the radio to the cluster.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Gotcha I have a 2018 and was wanting to do this, not much information online about it
I've got an '18 SR that I want to switch out the non-touch BT with the 2019 unit with Carplay. Did you get yours installed, KaKnight2010 and is it worth doing?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm just glad someone had the same idea about OEM Sentra 2019 having Carplay and wanting it in my 2018!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've got an '18 SR that I want to switch out the non-touch BT with the 2019 unit with Carplay. Did you get yours installed, KaKnight2010 and is it worth doing?
I have the radio waiting we just got stationed over in the UK so waiting for my car to get registered and I have it at home to switch it out I’ll keep ya posted

·
Registered
82 Posts
I will explain it to you in a simple way and then you decide if it's worth all of that.

1) price: the Carplay radio cost between 400 to 500 if you found them cheap on ebay, if not more.
The oem nissan Navigation that uses sd card cost about 100.

2) software: the software on the Carplay radio is kinda lagged and sometimes it won't connect at all to your phone through Bluetooth, i tested 3 radios, and all were the same thing so it's not an issue with just 1 radio.
Although the oem navigation radio with sd, has an outdated software, it works fine just fine, and connects to your phone right away.

3: navigation and use of Carplay: the Carplay Radio requires you to use your phone to use the navigation "google maps or the maps on ios" and you also need to have data on your phone to run the maps, sure you can download maps and use them with no internet, but what if you don't have a cable to connect your phone to the radio? What if you lost your phone and you're in a remote place? Or what if your phone doesn't have battery but you do have a charger? The radio doesn't support fast charge, so sometimes instead of charging your phone, it discharges it, happened with an xr and a note 20.

With the oem navigation with sd, you don't need to connect your phone to use the built-in maps, the radio contains all the map data in a sd car, it also has a built-in gps antenna, so whenever you lost your phone or don't have battery or you dont have data, you can use the built-in navigation without worrying in getting lost. Sure some sd cards are outdated but you can get one sd card with the latest update on ebay for 50 bucks.

4) Rewiring and complicity of the job: the wiring is difficult on the Carplay radio than the one on the navigation, you have to split wires, you have to solder them so they make a good connection, you have to get involved with the car's CAN BUS NETWORK, so if you don't know what you're doing, you can damage your car pretty much making it unusable. Or if you ground a positive terminal of radio, you'll end up damaging it, happened to me when i first started.
Why does the carplay radio uses CAN BUS? Because it detects the speed signal throughout can, it also dims the display through can, it is also required to have back up lines on the screen while parking.
Is it necessary to connect the can bus wires? Well if the radio has it on the first place it's because it needs it.

5) So is it worth all the money for that? For me no, it doesn't although the radio looks cool and all, the benefit of not having to depend on your phone to use nav if you get lost is unbeatable.
And the prices are high just for a radio that looks statically better is just incredible and that, some radios don't have the rear plugs, so if you don't have them, you'll either have to make them or buy a radio that comes with them.

I do have and make plugs for the Carplay radio, and if you want me to make a custom wiring harness for your car to be only plug and play, sent me a private message and we can discuss about it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hey i have a 2018 Nissan Sentra and i just bought the radio that you have pictured (28021 9ek0a) except for it didnt come from a Versa or a Sentra. It came from some 2019 Nissan truck with a different part number (28021 9bs0c) and because the other 2019 Nissan radio (which has the carplay and replaced the phone button with a return button) cost too much and is too much work.. Both radios are absolutely identical down to the size, look, style, buttons, plugs, etc. The only difference is the part number and that it's 3, 4 even 500 bucks cheaper than the ones i found on eBay. Also, I've ordered the 40-pin connector because i believe my 2018 came with the 32pin one for the basic radio. I'll have to re-wire the 32pin connector to the 40pin connector but can you show me which wires to connect? like which colors to connect or whatnot

·
Registered
60 Posts
I will explain it to you in a simple way and then you decide if it's worth all of that.

1) price: the Carplay radio cost between 400 to 500 if you found them cheap on ebay, if not more.
The oem nissan Navigation that uses sd card cost about 100.

2) software: the software on the Carplay radio is kinda lagged and sometimes it won't connect at all to your phone through Bluetooth, i tested 3 radios, and all were the same thing so it's not an issue with just 1 radio.
Although the oem navigation radio with sd, has an outdated software, it works fine just fine, and connects to your phone right away.

3: navigation and use of Carplay: the Carplay Radio requires you to use your phone to use the navigation "google maps or the maps on ios" and you also need to have data on your phone to run the maps, sure you can download maps and use them with no internet, but what if you don't have a cable to connect your phone to the radio? What if you lost your phone and you're in a remote place? Or what if your phone doesn't have battery but you do have a charger? The radio doesn't support fast charge, so sometimes instead of charging your phone, it discharges it, happened with an xr and a note 20.

With the oem navigation with sd, you don't need to connect your phone to use the built-in maps, the radio contains all the map data in a sd car, it also has a built-in gps antenna, so whenever you lost your phone or don't have battery or you dont have data, you can use the built-in navigation without worrying in getting lost. Sure some sd cards are outdated but you can get one sd card with the latest update on ebay for 50 bucks.

4) Rewiring and complicity of the job: the wiring is difficult on the Carplay radio than the one on the navigation, you have to split wires, you have to solder them so they make a good connection, you have to get involved with the car's CAN BUS NETWORK, so if you don't know what you're doing, you can damage your car pretty much making it unusable. Or if you ground a positive terminal of radio, you'll end up damaging it, happened to me when i first started.
Why does the carplay radio uses CAN BUS? Because it detects the speed signal throughout can, it also dims the display through can, it is also required to have back up lines on the screen while parking.
Is it necessary to connect the can bus wires? Well if the radio has it on the first place it's because it needs it.

5) So is it worth all the money for that? For me no, it doesn't although the radio looks cool and all, the benefit of not having to depend on your phone to use nav if you get lost is unbeatable.
And the prices are high just for a radio that looks statically better is just incredible and that, some radios don't have the rear plugs, so if you don't have them, you'll either have to make them or buy a radio that comes with them.

I do have and make plugs for the Carplay radio, and if you want me to make a custom wiring harness for your car to be only plug and play, sent me a private message and we can discuss about it.

First of all, its possible but not at all, here's why.

You'll need to modify your wiring harness, from the 33 pin connector that the nav unit has to the 40 pin connector of the new radio.

Second, yes the model 2591A-5UD0A indeed has carplay and android auto, but for me, wasn't worth it because i had better expectations for it.

I tried to install it on my 2017 sentra nismo but i had some issues.
View attachment 101792

The first issue which is the one you have to be aware of is that you can see the model name is 2591A-5UD0A BUT some radios are configured in different ways (software and hardware), for example, the radio of an nv200 does not have input for the rear speakers, why? Because its a cargo van and would be pointless to have rear speakers, and the wiring varies as the mic of the sentra isn't compatible. Although they look the same, they work differently. You have to find one that came from a sentra or at least a versa so it would work with your sentra.

The second issue was the wiring, the wiring is the most difficult, although i know what most of the cables of the wiring do, i wasn't unable to make the rear camera to work when i put it in reverse only when i manually activate it from settings. Here's the wiring, attached you'll see what most cables do.
View attachment 101793
For the aux i meant black, white and red.

The third issue is that, as not many people have done this, there's not much information about the wiring of this radios, and fun fact the one that looks similar to this one with the model 28021-9EK0A is the base radio for the 2019
View attachment 101794
in other words is the same as the radios that had Bluetooth but weren't touch screen (see pic) but the difference is that the newer base model has touch and its overpriced for what it offers.

And last but not least, this is a point of view that i had, i had the nav unit and i didn't need the phone to look for a place where i would like to go and if my phone died and had no way to charge it, i can use the built-in navigation from the SD card map to go from point A to point B without worrying.

But with the carplay is different, you need to have your phone connected, when you play audio via usb it really isn't that optimized as you cannot increase or decrease volume throughout your phone, only through the steering wheel or the radio, but sometimes it will lag, depends on the radio, not all will do it but some will.
And to use the maps you have to use your device and you'll need your data to use it and if you don't have or have slow data, you're kinda screwed or if you're in a place where data is unavailable, you're screwed.

That would be pretty much it, overall i prefer the navigation radio with the SD card, but sincerely it's what you really want, i hope you the best, good luck.
Hey i have a 2018 Nissan Sentra and i just bought the radio that you have pictured (28021 9ek0a) except for it didnt come from a Versa or a Sentra. It came from some 2019 Nissan truck with a different part number (28021 9bs0c) and because the other 2019 Nissan radio (which has the carplay) cost too much and is too much work.. Both radios are absolutely identical down to the size, look, style, buttons, plugs, etc. The only difference is the part number and that it's 3, 4 even 500 bucks cheaper than the ones i found on eBay. Also, I've ordered the 40-pin connector because i believe my 2018 came with the 32pin one for the basic radio. I'll have to re-wire the 32pin connector to the 40pin connector but can you show me which wires to connect? like which colors to connect or whatnot

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hey i have a 2018 Nissan Sentra and i just bought the radio that you have pictured (28021 9ek0a) except for it didnt come from a Versa or a Sentra. It came from some 2019 Nissan truck with a different part number (28021 9bs0c) and because the other 2019 Nissan radio (which has the carplay) cost too much and is too much work.. Both radios are absolutely identical down to the size, look, style, buttons, plugs, etc. The only difference is the part number and that it's 3, 4 even 500 bucks cheaper than the ones i found on eBay. Also, I've ordered the 40-pin connector because i believe my 2018 came with the 32pin one for the basic radio. I'll have to re-wire the 32pin connector to the 40pin connector but can you show me which wires to connect? like which colors to connect or whatnot
Oh no, it's very different, and i had the wiring for the carplay radio, it just like the one you currently have, the only difference between yours and that one is that you are going to have touch screen and new looking, thats it.

Now the wiring isn't currently available although i have make wiring for those radios, i don't know which pin goes where, But the most thing is that THE STEERING WHEEL CONTROLS WON'T WORK.
Why? Because it is from a pickup (most likely frontier) and those steering wheel commands are with resistance while the sentra radios work with CAN-Convenience, so you wouldn't have steering wheel commands nor information on the cluster.
Your best bet was the carplay radio

·
Registered
60 Posts
Oh no, it's very different, and i had the wiring for the carplay radio, it just like the one you currently have, the only difference between yours and that one is that you are going to have touch screen and new looking, thats it.

Now the wiring isn't currently available although i have make wiring for those radios, i don't know which pin goes where, But the most thing is that THE STEERING WHEEL CONTROLS WON'T WORK.
Why? Because it is from a pickup (most likely frontier) and those steering wheel commands are with resistance while the sentra radios work with CAN-Convenience, so you wouldn't have steering wheel commands nor information on the cluster.
Your best bet was the carplay radio
Thanks for responding so quick!! Wow i thought i would have to wait a few days. But hey, I'm glad the seller on eBay agreed to cancel the order. Lucky for me, I already have the carplay radio actually, i just thought because the other one (28021 9bs0c) had more plugs in the back that already fit my 2018, that it would work better. The carplay radio has a brown connector in the back that i dont know squat about and the grey plug on it doesnt fit the grey one of my 2018. When i 1st got it, only 3 of the 5 connectors worked (the smaller white one, the black one, and the pink one) Yeah i had bluetooth working and the charging port but the AM/FM had major static on every single station and my rearview camera did not work at all. That's what made me order the other one (28021 9bs0c). Wow, I actually thought that if i just get the 40pin plug from a 2019 sentra, i could just re-wire it to my 32pin and be all set. i thought i would then have all connectors to fit and have the rearview camera working & that i wouldnt have to worry about the grey or brown plug thats on the carplay radio.. but now that you saved me from making a huge mistake, im going to install the carplay radio again once i have the 40pin connector. Ok so what would i do about the grey plug and the brown plug? or do i not need them? Or like what do they do?

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
The grey plug is for the FM/AM radio antenna, you can just sand the connector from your actual radio until it fits. For the brown connector, on the sentras it isn't used, only the black connector, you already have it, and then you just need the 40 pin connector and you'll be good to go.

Also the pink plug is only for siriusXM, if your current radio, doesn't have it, then don't worry about the antenna.

Also keep in mind, with the Carplay radio you're working with both types of CAN, CAN-BUS (receives ECU data And light dimmer data), CAN-CONVENIENCE (for the information on cluster as well steering wheel commands.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have finished almost everything on the wiring for the carplay radio, i just can't find the plug for the aux, everything else seems to be fine.

1 - 20 of 165 Posts