The Nissan Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I HAVE searched several websites before I aksed....

For someone mechanically uninclined, how hard would it be to swap out heads with a haynes manual.....on a scale of 1-10. Same head, same engine.

·
Erect Member
18,130 Posts
12, and we aint bull-shitting. as a matter of fact, imo, id rather change engines than the head alone... wait! thats what im doing!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DAMN are you serious???? Well that sucks. I was gonna buy a 240 for 600 bucks with a warped head. I can get another head fro 25 bucks. I was hoping it would be like a 5 or 6. I would try it, but 11 or 12....nevermind

·
Erect Member
18,130 Posts
oh and btw, for that price, do it anyways. good experience for you. just remember, check, check, and recheck, EVERYTHING twice.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^^^^^

Yeah I hear you. I thought about it. If worse came to worse, if I jack something up I could just garage it and wait fro the SR swap. However if I fix it, I could drive it around. This 240 is in beautiful condition for its age.

·
Import Tech.
4,670 Posts
Actually a 240 would be way easyer than the Altima .... Probably a 10 for the Altima and about an 8 for the 240 !

·
Erect Member
18,130 Posts
when you think about it, the 240 would be easier, cuz of the rwd thing, but we assumed, at least i did, that he meant altima...
oh well, hey shawn, whats the difference between the flywheel bolts marked MT and AT other than one set coming from an auto and the other a manual...? is there a physical difference?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
asleepaltima said:
when you think about it, the 240 would be easier, cuz of the rwd thing, but we assumed, at least i did, that he meant altima...
oh well, hey shawn, whats the difference between the flywheel bolts marked MT and AT other than one set coming from an auto and the other a manual...? is there a physical difference?
Sorry I didnt clarify. I didnt want to get flamed for asking a 240 question in this forum, so I asked it as a general question.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I think you should go for it. Get all the tools you need and a FSM. Take your time and post any problems you have on Zilvia.net. You'll learn a ton about engines....

·
Rockin the Kasbah
4,106 Posts
It's not really a fact of it being mechanically hard, it's the fact that it's very time consuming and you mustn't become impatiant. There are many vacuum lines and all kinds of goodys that you shouldn't damage when doing it.

Don't become discouraged by us by rating it 11's and the sort lol, take your time (preferablly a full 2 day weekend, and you can do it. But that is only assuming you ahve the proper tools and a proper garage. Buying the craftsman starter set and a 2 ton floor jack wn't cut it sometimes.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
^^^^^ That is my ultimate goal or a r20det...however I can't afford to lay down 4g's right this second for the engine/install. But I want to be able to drive it around some

·
Got HAULIN' ASS?
234 Posts
I just finished my engine swap. It wasn't too bad. took me a day and a half, also I had access to a shop, I also used air tools, (which also helps you shit done a little quicker.)
Also it was just me that did it. By the way it was 98' engine into a 95' alty. I just had to swap intakes, a few sensors and some other minor adjustments of course, and it has only 45,000 miles on it, versus the 150,000 mile beast I had in it. It was still a damn strong motor, but the new one with all my new mods, will leave it
and a bunch of "HIONDA's," in the "rear bumper vision mode".
You know like ALL they see is your rear bumper haulin' ass up the road, leaving them to gettin' smoked by another NISSAN ALTY!

·
Shadetree Mechanic
6,095 Posts
Myself and a good friend had my head off and in the back of my truck in just over 2 hours.:cool:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts