The Nissan Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

My car is a Sentra B17 with 80,000 miles. The Nissan Dealer has used 20W50 instead of 10W30 for a long time. So for return to 10w30 (recommend for Nissan in MX), Could I use to 15w40 oil? and the next time to change oil 10w30?
Thanks

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,182 Posts
Perhaps the 20w50 was used because you live somewhere very warm. It never gets 'thick' like it would around here :)

I wouldn't go back to 10W30 at this point...you'd probably just start burning it. 10W40 if you want a marginal improvement in fuel economy...or just stick with 20W50.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perhaps the 20w50 was used because you live somewhere very warm. It never gets 'thick' like it would around here :)

I wouldn't go back to 10W30 at this point...you'd probably just start burning it. 10W40 if you want a marginal improvement in fuel economy...or just stick with 20W50.
Thanks d0ugmac1. But 20w50 isn't in the Manual of specifications. So, 10w40 is better?

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,182 Posts
The 40 part is a heavier/thicker oil...better lubrication at higher temps. Given that your engine grew up on 50...going to the much thinner 30 is probably not a great idea at this point.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I'm curious about the geographical location. I can't imagine a Nissan dealer recommending that oil. It technically violates emissions settings doing so. They are supposed to tow the company line as far as fuel saving oils in lighter weights.

FYI, I run 15W-40 here in Texas, won't hurt a thing, been doing it for years. You can pitch those oil recommendations in the trash as far as my concern.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm curious about the geographical location. I can't imagine a Nissan dealer recommending that oil. It technically violates emissions settings doing so. They are supposed to tow the company line as far as fuel saving oils in lighter weights.

FYI, I run 15W-40 here in Texas, won't hurt a thing, been doing it for years. You can pitch those oil recommendations in the trash as far as my concern.
I don't know why use this Motor Oil in Mexico, but I am not only me. I read in Mexican Forums that Nissan Mx use this motor oil in others cars, and They not respect the Manual. I reviewed the changes for Xtrail's mother in law and that the same motor oil.
I'm in Mexico City.
Sorry for my english

1 - 6 of 6 Posts