The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
The Edge
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I switched to Mobil 1 synthetic at my local Wall Mart but i'm pissed because all they had were Fram filters and some in store brand. From what I've read on several threads here Fram sucks. I'll be bringing my own filter from Nissan or Mobil 1 next time i get a oil change. Well I definately feel a difference on how the car runs. Might be all in my head but even feels like the tranny shifts smoother. Hopefully I'll get some better mileage with this change. Thanks to you guys I'm running Synthetic. For those interested, Wall Mart does oil changes for $28 for Synthetic, preety cheap considering our cars take almost 5 quarts at almost $5 a quart but i paid $30 and got the full service(fluids replenished and chassis lube).

·
$ make my Engine go Round
1,157 Posts
I don't mind FRAM that much, I've always used them with no problems.

Gotta be in your head if the tranny is shifting smoother :)

Not a bad deal there at Walmart

·
Registered
626 Posts
wow...lol

Fram filters are ok they work just as good as other filters...just make sure to change a fram at every oil change

·
Die Trying
8,357 Posts
almost 5 qts at $5 a qt??????????
I pay like $4 for mobil 1 syn and mine's straining to take a full 4 qts.

hmmm

either way, $30 for the entire service isn't bad.

·
The Edge
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well actually it took aboiut 4.5 qts and they gave half a quart to take with me and the price i just rounded off its like $4 and some change

·
Killa_Stroke
296 Posts
dude you don't know how to change your oil? nothing makes you feel more like a man like getting under your car and doing it yourself. O by the way, if you want REAL synthetic i suggest you go to AMSOIL 1year/25,000 mile guarantee on oil and filters last 6 months.... Mobil 1 has to be changed every 3,000 miles. $30 is to much for 3,000 miles

·
:-)
2,049 Posts
^ oil changes don't make me feel like a man. I feel like a guy who just got hosed with some oil. $30 isn't that bad. I pay $20 CDN for mobil 1 + filter (i change it myself though), but I got hookups on the oil and filter.

·
dismember
11,347 Posts
it is 20 bux at the dealer, it is not worth it to do it myself.

·
The Saga Continues......
3,303 Posts
how many miles do u guys have on ur cars? i've gotta switch soon i think. i've got almost 73k on my 99 alty.

·
502 Posts
Smoothe_operater said:
dude you don't know how to change your oil? nothing makes you feel more like a man like getting under your car and doing it yourself. O by the way, if you want REAL synthetic i suggest you go to AMSOIL 1year/25,000 mile guarantee on oil and filters last 6 months.... Mobil 1 has to be changed every 3,000 miles. $30 is to much for 3,000 miles
amsoil may be better, but not that much better. mobil 1 should last longer than 3k mi. i change mine at 5-7k. plus mobil 1 is easy to get.

·
The Edge
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i agree and to the guy who feels like a man because he changes his oil himself....i think you need a girlfriend dude. I didn't change my oil myself because it's 15 degrees outside.

·
Die Trying
8,357 Posts
amsoil may last a year, but dirty oil is dirty oil. The truth is any oil can last longer than 3000, but it's usually too dirty to keep runnin. I change mine every 3000 on the dot b/c i don't want dirty oil being recycled back through, even if it's with a new filter.

I only want the best for mine, so it's syn every 3K
amsoil just has a hell of a marketing team

oh, and i feel real bad for those of you that are runnin ANY oil for longer than 9000, 6000, or even 3000.

·
Erect Member
18,130 Posts
the good thing about synthetic oil is that it doesnt burn as easily and doesnt break down like conventional oil does. it will have the same properties 5000 miles later as it does when it was poured in. if it wasnt for carbon and the other by-products of blowby, we wouldnt have to change it at all. oh and btw, whats wrong with fram? has paper in it like any other filter, cheap or good. only thing better i can think of would be a k&n oil filter...

·
Incognito
6,134 Posts
change mine religiously after 3k... depends on the weather or my laziness if I de4cide to change it myself or pay someone to change it. but then again, I can pretty much torch any oil you give me, synth or non.

·
rawdmizle
471 Posts
cthunder said:
change mine religiously after 3k... depends on the weather ...
... that makes me appriciate being able use a garage :D

·
Garbologist Extrodonair
7,262 Posts
how do u switch over to synthetic, just drain old oil and put the synthetic in:confused:

-Robb-

·
The Edge
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i used engine flush then drain it well but once you use synthetic you can't go back to conventional oil

1 - 20 of 82 Posts