The Nissan Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
NO LIFE POSTER
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting about 28k on my car a year. I change the oil atlease every 4,000 miles . Thats 7 times a year times say 24.00 = 168.00 give or take a couple dollars. Would it be better to use a mobil synth. oil and change the oil every 8,000-10,000 miles? I think they charge under 50.00 to change the oil and put in synth. oil.? Is it worth it.

·
I Am My Altima's Bitch
3,035 Posts
It would be better to use Amsoil. Not to start yet ANOTHER synthetic war, but I have been comparing prices, and can get amsoil for the same money, if not less than Mobil 1 is at my local Walmart. You can easily change your filter 4 times a year, and oil twice, saving you money.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Walmart charges $30.00 for a Mobil 1 Synthetic oil-change(up to 5 quarts, they actually give you back if anything is left in a bottle) with their shity filter and $28.00 if you bring your own. I would do this: Nissan OEM Filter for $5.00+$28.00 Walmart oil-job=$33.00 and change it every 6000 miles-that comes to approx. 5 oil-jobs. You won't be saving a boatload but you'll get much better protection with Mobil 1 :D

·
Registered
432 Posts
Amsoil in NJ is 5.99/QT Mobil 1 At Costco is 23.99 for 6qts.

·
*Really New Member*
1,095 Posts
if u get ur oil changed at walmart, make sure they tighted ur filter correctly or ur car will be leaking oil,they don't spill any oil on ur engine, or dirty up ur carpets......first and last time i take it to walmart for an oil change...

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I have been using Mobil 1 in all my cars since 1978. I never had motor problems and the inside of the motors looked brand new even after 100,000 miles. One thing I noticed, I recently paid $12.99 for a gallon container of Castrol 10w 30 synthetic and used that in both warm and cold conditions. Clearly the 10w 30 isn't as good down around 0 to 20 below so now I stick with the 5w 30 mobil 1 in the winter. As far as costs, NJalt hit the nail on the head, costco has it for cheap so I get mine there. Every so often, they have 0w 30 for the winter and I found that really good. From with a tech rep from Mobil told me, the 0w 30 is a better formulation (friction reducers) then the 5w 30. Now that discussion took place about a year ago when 5w 30 was the only tri-sync that was available. I think all the mobil synthetic products have the new friction reducers.

The bottom line is simple, if you change it yourself the few $'s extra is worth it. As I posted some time ago, synthetic saved my motor and transmission when the water pump went on my last car.

·
NO LIFE POSTER
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I use just a regular 5w30 in my expedition. Is the mobil 1 regular motor oil or does it say Mobil 1 Synthetic? Where can I get Amsoil.? I dont they we have that where I live.

·
Registered
432 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts