The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

What are your opinions on the use of synthetic oil versus regular oil for an Altima with 33,000 miles?

I heard that synthetic oil may cause the engine seals to come apart because it contains detergents. Also I heard it is not recommended if you are in the break-in period of a new or rebuilt engine. Is that true?

The dealer does not beleive in synthetic I wonder why, they also don't beleive in using 5-30W according to the manual and they always use 10-30W. I feel the engine is struggling with 10-30W. Can the 10-30W do damage to the engine versus 5-30w or is it just a performance issue?

Thank you

·
Registered
382 Posts
Mobile 1 and a mobile 1 filter will get you by for a good 6K miles, and is the best. Many others prefer Castrol, it is good too. Once you start, you have to stick with it though.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Synthetics do not contain detergents that tend to break apart your seals. If your engine has been poorly maintained they may sweep away sludge that has collected around your seals, now leaving a path for the oil to leak by, but this is rare.

5W-30 is what's recommended by Nissan, but you won't damage anything by using the 10W-30. The engine may take slightly longer to warm up and burn more fuel for the first several minutes, but once warm a 10W-30 will behave just like a 5W-30.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Had a 88 Honda civic, sold it in 1999. It had 180,00 miles on it then. I changed the oil and filter 1 time per year every 15,000 miles. Pulled a small fishing boat 900 lbs and ran by the heater guage. When I changed the oil just before I sold it I was shord about 1 cup of oil (after 15,000 miles). Since I work with the current owner I ask & the car has 210,000 miles. So there's the proof about SYN oil. Also never warmed up the car in Canadian winters.

·
I sleep with my car
34 Posts
where can i find a mobil1 filter for my car?

all crappy tire has for mine is motomaster...doesnt even have fram or quaker state.

·
hard on equipment
714 Posts
I won't use anything but Mobil 1 synthetic either. From what I've heard, and my own experience, I'm pretty well sold on it.

Also, I would take AutoZone over Discount Auto or Pep Boys anyday. I know there are other places, but those are the only ones we have in Orlando.

·
Victor says I'm a dumbass
110 Posts
some people complain about the price for synthetic, but when you consider that it's insurance that's protecting a car worth several thousands of dollars, not to mention any sentimental value that the vehicle may have, i don't think the cost is all that high.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.