The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
From D Land of Tendulkar
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI I HAVE 13000 MILES ON MY CAR. IS SYNTHETIC OIL WORTH IT. I NEED A OIL CHANGE ANYWAYS. ALSO I AM LEASING MY CAR. BUT THEN I FIGURED IF I GET SYNTHETIC I CAN RUN WITH IT FOR 5000 MILES. PLEASE NO FLAMMING IT'S JUST A INNOCENT QUESTION.

·
Long Time Caller
1,951 Posts
even if you get synthetic, DONT run it 5000 miles. always change it at 3000. my suggestion, get valvoline durablend oil. it about 2 bucks a quart, i just got some on sale for 1.32. good deal. if you want to, get synthetic, yes, but it is expensive when you change it every 3000 like you SHOULD. durablend is what i use

·
From D Land of Tendulkar
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sounds good what oil filter now homie.

·
I have a NISMO oil cap
5,563 Posts
I just switched to Penzoil Synthetic... and I can tell you that I felt a big difffence in the way the car drives... shifting feel was even better.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
This topic has been talked about before. Sythetic doesn't mean you can change oil less often, it's just a better quality oil.

But it's still oil that run through your engine expose to tiny dust particles and many chemical by-products from combusion. It gets polluted. You still should change in correct intervals, 6 months or 3000 miles to get rid of the harmful by-products.

If you want to save a couple of $, do it yourself or stick with convention oil.

·
From D Land of Tendulkar
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok here dudes thanks for the aweome info what about oil filter

·
Long Time Caller
1,951 Posts
any one above 4 bucks is a good rule. mobil 1 is good, valvoline is good. fram and purolator are the lesser ones, but still ok. basically, the more expensive, the better, its all up to you.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Xtrema said:
This topic has been talked about before. Sythetic doesn't mean you can change oil less often, it's just a better quality oil.

But it's still oil that run through your engine expose to tiny dust particles and many chemical by-products from combusion. It gets polluted. You still should change in correct intervals, 6 months or 3000 miles to get rid of the harmful by-products.

If you want to save a couple of $, do it yourself or stick with convention oil.
It does mean you change less.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I use Mobil 1 and a Amsoil filter (SDF13) and change @7,500 miles

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
15,286 Posts
I will change regularly at about 2K miles...I use Castrol..always have with good results

·
Registered
105 Posts
Castrol Oil

I just went over 800 miles on my car less than 1 week old.
My first oil change is free at dealership, but I went to O'Reilly's auto parts and they have 5qts of castrol oil+filter for $8.99. Willy is that good? So you would recommend just regular Catrol Oil?

·
04-05 Pedal Insert
15,286 Posts
Re: Castrol Oil

2k2altimasoon said:
I just went over 800 miles on my car less than 1 week old.
My first oil change is free at dealership, but I went to O'Reilly's auto parts and they have 5qts of castrol oil+filter for $8.99. Willy is that good? So you would recommend just regular Catrol Oil?
I think it is the best as far as regular oil goes. I used it in my Motorcycles that get much hotter than the cars and It never foamed and did a great job.

Not a bad deal..I use oem filters on the Alti...Just bought several cases of Castrol at K-mart for 15.48 a case

·
Shift_lefty
1,001 Posts
Give me the club, time to beat the dead horse again!!!

As long as you stick to a regular maintence period. Say 3k with regular oil, 5k with synthetic, whatever it may be as long as you change it. These are not race cars running 130 mph for 2 hours straight! In the manual it states 7500 for oil and filter. That's too extreme for my tastes.

It also depends on you driving. Do you drive short distances often, or long extended highway runs? The most damage to an engine is at startup when it's cold, then running for a short time and shutting off.

Either way, synthetic or regular oil, if it's changed you'll be fine. IMO on a leased car, why bother with synthetic if your dumping it in 3 or 4 years. The costs associated with synthetic oil will never really pay off. These engines are tough engines they will run 200k-300k if maintained well, if that's what you want to get out of you engine than synthetic may be worth it.

I chose synthetic because I drive too far everyday to change my oil every 3k and I expect to keep this car 7 years for about 210k if all goes well.

·
Registered
48 Posts
its jigga james said:
ok ok.. go to www.maxima.org. and search for Oil analysis. 3000 miles is a waste on DYNO oil, let alone synthetic. Synthetic can easily go over 3000. If you change at 3000miles, why would you get synthetic.. waste of money. Come on now... :rolleyes: :cool:
Back in the day............... When Mobil One first came out, they said it could go 25,000 miles between oil changes. Now, I wouldn't try to get 25k out of synthetic, but certainly 7k/8k, or double conventional would be a reasonable amount.

·
Registered
949 Posts
As far as the filters go I bought a bosch and a mobil 1 and they both looked exactly the same from what I could see inside the filters. I think the mobil 1 is rated at 10 microns and the bosch at 15 microns. But, in my opinion, I have a feeling that the 2 filters are the same since they are both produced by the same company, Champion Labs. Just FYI.

Also I have 13,250 miles and I just switched to Mobil 1. You can get a 5 quart bucket of Mobil 1 at Wal-Mart supercenters for like 17 to 18 bucks. I talked to a Walmart employee two days ago at my local Walmart (non-super center) and he said that you can always get them at the supercenter but at the regular Walmart stores they are only seasonal. He said they had just clearanced the last of their 5 quart buckets of Mobil 1 for $8 a pop. I really wished I could have been there when that happened.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've been using Mobil 1 and changing it every 5K or so, no problems yet. I live in northern Colorado and it's dusty and cold. Still, the synth. holds up very well. Just make sure to use a quality filter, too!!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts