The Nissan Club banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, what's going on, I'm in the market for an Altima (well, a car) but have been highly considering an Altima. Looking for a fourth gen, but I hate the taillights! I do however like

the all red tail lights. However, how would I be able to get them on a sedan? I've looked for them online, but have only came across some for the coupe. Would I have to get vinyl overlays? If so, how do I do it? (I'm a noob, haha)

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
Altima taillights are your biggest concern with this car? Really?

Well, if that's your biggest fear, then Feast your eyes.... and check out the Sherman's or Spec-Ds

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Altima taillights are your biggest concern with this car? Really?

Well, if that's your biggest fear, then Feast your eyes.... and check out the Sherman's or Spec-Ds
Thanks boss. I really appreciate it, and the fourth gen all have the same tail lights, correct? So I could get any between 07-2012? Haha, I mean, it's not a concern but it's just something I dislike. That and the CVT trans, don't really know too much about that? Think you can enlighten me? haha, also sorry for all the questions, but so I could simply order those and then I just replace it by hand? Thanks bud!

·
6,365 Posts
CarID provides fitment info...the coupe are different from the sedan so that can limit your options (ie there are no HID projectors for the sedan, but they exist for the coupe...which shares a number of parts, light tailights with the JDM Teana model).

Yes, all those assemblies, at least the ones for your specific year/model are bolt ons...shouldn't take you an hour to swap them both out, take pics and post 'em for all to see.

If you are buying the CVT please do drive it a fair bit before committing. Full disclosure, I prefer manuals...a lot, but if you commute in heavy traffic daily...then I could understand.

Are you looking at the 2.5 or 3.5 engines? FYI he 2007-2009 models have the fewest number of aftermarket bolt-ons....but are also the last years to get the 3.5 with a stick and 4 doors.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CarID provides fitment info...the coupe are different from the sedan so that can limit your options (ie there are no HID projectors for the sedan, but they exist for the coupe...which shares a number of parts, light tailights with the JDM Teana model).

Yes, all those assemblies, at least the ones for your specific year/model are bolt ons...shouldn't take you an hour to swap them both out, take pics and post 'em for all to see.

If you are buying the CVT please do drive it a fair bit before committing. Full disclosure, I prefer manuals...a lot, but if you commute in heavy traffic daily...then I could understand.

Are you looking at the 2.5 or 3.5 engines? FYI he 2007-2009 models have the fewest number of aftermarket bolt-ons....but are also the last years to get the 3.5 with a stick and 4 doors.
What do you mean drive it a fair bit before committing exactly? Also, i'm looking for the 2.5 pretty much, and haha yeah the manuals are clean, but I mean I can't drive manual but also looking towards the auto.

& bolt-ons? (noob question alert lol)

·
6,365 Posts
Some people don't like the way that Nissan programmed the CVT, which results in driving behaviors they don't like...sort of like your tailight fixation ;) Hence my suggestion for an extended road test...dealers will be more comfortable with this than private sellers.

You should have lots of choices if you are looking at a 2.5 CVT sedan. I would look for something no older that '08-'09...too many precats are still dying out there.

Bolt ons : mod or accessory that just about anybody can do with $30 worth of Harbor Freight tools (as opposed to custom which involves welding, cutting, buffing, painting, redoing 5x to get it right etc.) Taillights = bolt on (literally) HID retrofit = custom.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some people don't like the way that Nissan programmed the CVT, which results in driving behaviors they don't like...sort of like your tailight fixation ;) Hence my suggestion for an extended road test...dealers will be more comfortable with this than private sellers.

You should have lots of choices if you are looking at a 2.5 CVT sedan. I would look for something no older that '08-'09...too many precats are still dying out there.

Bolt ons : mod or accessory that just about anybody can do with $30 worth of Harbor Freight tools (as opposed to custom which involves welding, cutting, buffing, painting, redoing 5x to get it right etc.) Taillights = bolt on (literally) HID retrofit = custom.
Haha definitely like my taillight fixation! But hey boss, I'm currently looking at this 2010 Altima but can't seem to find those Sherman taillights. Would I be okay if I still order the 09's?

·
6,365 Posts
Nope...07-09 are Gen4, 10-12 are Gen4.5, 13+ Gen5 Can't put '09 lights on '10 bodies.

·
6,365 Posts
Maybe you'd be better with the overlay approach...there was a recent thread on those. There's also a chance that CarID put in the coupe photo for the sedan headlights...so maybe they don't exist at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maybe you'd be better with the overlay approach...there was a recent thread on those. There's also a chance that CarID put in the coupe photo for the sedan headlights...so maybe they don't exist at all.
Hmm maybe, I hope that's not the case though.. How does the overlay approach work?

·
6,365 Posts
Please correct me if I am incorrect, but isn't 07-09 and 10-12 Taillight the same? For the Sedan, at least?
I don't know if they still fit, but the part numbers are different, at least for the sedan. Thought that was why the Teana LED tails were only for Gen4.5's:

2011 :

26555-ZX00B COMBO LAMP ASSY, LEFT
26550-ZX00B COMBO LAMP ASSY, RIGHT

2009:

26555-ZN50A COMBO LAMP ASSY, LEFT
26550-ZN50A COMBO LAMP ASSY, RIGHT

Thanks for keeping me honest :wink

·
6,365 Posts
Web wisdom seems to be that only the front end changed in 2010 for the sedans...Caveat Emptor. Thanks @MRR

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hey guys, what's going on, I'm in the market for an Altima (well, a car) but have been highly considering an Altima. Looking for a fourth gen, but I hate the taillights! I do however like

the all red tail lights. However, how would I be able to get them on a sedan? I've looked for them online, but have only came across some for the coupe. Would I have to get vinyl overlays? If so, how do I do it? (I'm a noob, haha)
i love the Altima's regular taillights , as opposed to the red ones

1 - 15 of 15 Posts