The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it possible, do u have to upgrade your computer chip or what? if anyone knows how please let me know, prefferably with money figures too. my 98 gxe shuts off at like 120mph or something, hairy ride on these country-ass roads with stock suspension though. thanks guys

·
master of the 5th speed
55 Posts
personally, i don't think altys have a speed limiter in them. they have a rev limiter. but the rev limiter doesn't stop you from breaking 120 because you're not at 6500 rpm in 4th gear (5spd). if you have an auto, i don't know what the rpms are at when you're trying to hit 120. i know i've been doing about 132 in my alty (judging by my friends speedo) and it didn't cut off. the aerodynamics does play a big part in how fast a car can go. also it gets harder for the engine to generate power to make it go faster at those speeds.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
topnotch till i die said:
personally, i don't think altys have a speed limiter in them. they have a rev limiter.
The 2001 manual says there’s 5 sensors monitored by the ECU to determine if it should cut fuel to the engine:

Vehicle speed sensor
Park/Neutral position (PNP) switch
Throttle position sensor
Engine coolant temperature sensor
Camshaft position sensor (engine speed).

However the manual only describes a no-load fuel cut condition, where the engine is revved for a period of time above 4000 rpm with no load on it. It cuts the fuel until the engine is under 2000 rpm. It doesn’t mention high-speed fuel cut conditions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
When I hit 130ish my car didn't shut off just didn't accelerate, or accelated really slowly.

·
Evil Member
374 Posts
i have an auto and the car is in OD at around 4400rpms when i get to 120, the fastest ive gone was 122/3 but i was on an interstate that wasnt really straight, it was more hilly so that my have cut me some there too

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mine is a five speed, and i dont know if its a speed or tackometer
reading but it does cut off at around 120mph or however many rpm's. its all stock except a k&n performance intake, but i am sure that it could go 130mph now without the limiter. not to mention that i will get an exhaust and other goodies later. peace

·
PHASE 2 las vegas CC
115 Posts
my cuts off at 120mph, and i have a msd box full catback system , pri, and its still cuts off, but my friend has the altima but stock ex for his intake and he can go past 120mph maybe its because he has just got a brannew tranny. i dont know but my cuts off thats all i know. but when you guys know how to take off then you guys hit me up with it.:D

·
777 Posts
ive had my needle to where it says unleaded fuel only. it never cut out or anything, it just was taking really long to keep accelerating (that was bone stock besides oem k&n havent tried it since). it was for this reason i always assumed it wasnt governed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
All I know is that I have never messed with my ECU and my 5-spd pins out at around 130 in 4th gear.

·
Resistance is futile
1,713 Posts
mrdeucie said:
seems like a generation thing.
That's what I was thinking - judging from responses and model years, the limiter may have arrived with OBDII, or maybe with the second gen in 98.

·
I OWN XTC,An XTC OWNZ U
909 Posts
first gen limmited to 122mph, i know this for certain, it's computer controled, i hit 122ish, and the throtle cut off, and i only was able to cruze at 122ish at 4,000 rpm, in the auto

·
master of the 5th speed
55 Posts
i would agree with the generation thing but i know for a fact that 1st gens (or at least mines) will do over 122. with automatic, i sometimes would have trouble hitting 120 but it never cutoff. now that its 5spd, i can hit 120+ pretty easy. the only time my car has ever hit any kind of cutoff was when i redlined in 2nd gear once.

where some of you guys say 'cutoff' do you mean the car just won't go faster or does the car slow down and basically make your head snap towards the windshield. cause when it cuts off, especially when trying to hit 120, it will throw your head towards the windshield.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.