The Nissan Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Haf you seen my baseball?
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I'm the first one to post on the racing forum so i guess i'll start of with an interesting race I saw on Saturday night at Metro up here in DC. A Talon vs a Cobra Mustang. I don't know the years or anything because it was dark, I was drunk, and we weren't at the start line. Talon had a turbo and exhaust (noticeable mods) and the Mustang looked stock except it might have had exhaust. Well, the Talon CRUSHED the Mustang. It might have been due to bad driving on the Mustang owners fault. He shifted way too early and let the Talon take the lead with the bad shifting. But I don't think it would have mattered anyways. Anyone that was at Metro at like 12:30 would have witnessed this. I never thought that would have happened but it did.

·
Cube Farmer
2,202 Posts
cobra is only 305 HP, the base Z28 camaro has that much if i remember correctly. The cobra's really arnt that great as far as pony cars go (rather have a SS or Firebird WS-6, 340 HP) if i had a choice between the stang or the GM pony cars.

·
Registered
42 Posts
SuprStyl said:
cobra is only 305 HP, the base Z28 camaro has that much if i remember correctly. The cobra's really arnt that great as far as pony cars go (rather have a SS or Firebird WS-6, 340 HP) if i had a choice between the stang or the GM pony cars.
Cobra has 320 hp. The NEW (01) are supposedly now running with the Z28s. They fixed a few things. I would pick the cobra, less of them. And the fact that the camaro is ugly and the WS6 looks like the batmobile. Both very very fast though.

·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But still if I was that Cobra owner I would have felt like the hugest dumbass considering that he payed all that for his car and then a Talon that probably cost 30,000 dollars less than his car did smoked him. It reminds me of a topic that was in OT.net. About whether or not you get better performance for less money between a domestic and import

·
Altimas favorite troll
269 Posts
Cobras aren't that expensive. They are low 30,000's. I think you are thinking of the Cobra R. Those are around 50,000 used.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Charred said:
But still if I was that Cobra owner I would have felt like the hugest dumbass considering that he payed all that for his car and then a Talon that probably cost 30,000 dollars less than his car did smoked him. It reminds me of a topic that was in OT.net. About whether or not you get better performance for less money between a domestic and import
The Cobras' base price is around $29,000.

Lets not talk about bang for the buck. It has always been cheaper to modify a domestic. Stock value? Domestic...Z06. Modified value? Domestic...I don't think we even have to go there.

·
Registered
714 Posts
its not cheeper to modify a domestic than an import except for shipping fee's. I think what your trying to say is its always cheeper to modify a sports car rather than a 4 banger sedan. because your gona get a lot more bang for the buck out of an engine pulling 300 hp than 155.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Most of the time it IS cheaper to modify the domestic. Dual exhaust for the domestic?...$250. Single exhaust for the import?...$600. I think it may be because all the stuff available for imports are like stainless or chrome (exhaust wise). Headers?... $500. One HEADER?...$400. I guess shipping might come into play if the import parts are being shipped from Japan.

I paid $50 for my PAINTED rear bumper, and $350 for my whole exhaust with flow 40's included.

I guess it could be cheaper either way, depending on which parts manufacturer you buy from.

·
Registered
499 Posts
metro used to be good a couple years back but know there are way too many drunks like yourself who ruin it by fighting. THere are much better places in the area to race. And the tsi can be modded like a mother, same as an eclipse gst. Not that hard to have it in the 13's.

·
Registered
37 Posts
geez - I hate to even get in this argument - but

I think it is cheaper to modify a domestic if straigntline performance is your only guideline.

check out : http://www.maliburacing.com message board.

it is real easy to pick up one of those 70s/80s malibu for $1000.

swap out the V6 and transmission. Buy a 454 big block with a holley double pumper and some good Edelbrock heads and intake. - cost would be $1500 - $5000 depending if you buy used or new.

Get a built TH400 transmission and a good 12 bolt rear end, some minor suspension work - let's say another 2-3k. and a set of slicks.

some of these guys are running 10s to 11s in the 1/4 mile with no power adders - all for under $8k to 10k.

I've been thinking of doing something like this myself - except stick with the cheaper 350, cheaper TH350 tranny, a good 10bolt buick rearend, and a good shot of nitrous.

dunno what it would take a 4 banger to get into this range - alot of boost!

kstagger;)

·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Drunks like myself getting fights? The only reason Metro isn't good anymore is because some dumbass that wasn't paying attention walked into the middle of the track in the middle of a race and got hit by a car. Now the cops stay there and bring firetrucks to block off the track. And never call me a drunk. Its not people that are there getting in fights that are drinking. Its the people that take all this shit a little too seriously and try to kill someone over something as stupid as a car race.

·
Got Boost???
609 Posts
alty96 said:
eagle talon psi = fast very fast stock. even faster modded out. god luck finding parts for it though
Are you kidding me????

It's about 100,000 times easier to find parts for a talon than a frickin' altima!!!!!

have you ever heard of a "turbo upgrade"?????

and it's a talon "TSI".......

right.........

·
Registered
69 Posts
Foiled again!

It really is hard to find worthy parts for the altima, at least specificly for it. I think it's weird that nissan and other manufacturers chose to make thousands of parts for the 3.0 that resides in the Z but it's other poor workhorse engine, mr KA24DE gets hated on all over. Also I have to say it is way more expensive to modify an import. Pony cars can make an extra 200-400 hp with around $3000, that same price will get u about 50-100 in an import.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts