The Nissan Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 Sentra SR 2.0 L with no mods. I am attempting to replace the tensioner but cannot access it from the side or the top being that there isn't much room to get a wrench in. From what I've looked up so far I would have to place a jack with a block of wood underneath the oil pan, loosen the passenger side motor mount, and slowly jack up the engine until the tensioner is lined up with an access hole through the frame. Any help or criticism would be appreciated. The bolt on the front of the tensioner looks kind of weird to me to be honest, I'm assuming I would have to use a torque wrench to take the bolt out?

·
09 Altima 3.5SE 6MT Sedan
6,365 Posts
We do the Altimas (2.5 and 3.5) from the passenger wheel well, with a ratcheting closed box wrench and extension to crack it loose. You won't have much luck with sockets as they don't fit, and open ended wrenches will round it off making it a much bigger job.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I opened up the passenger wheel well, right in front of the tensioner is part of the frame that blocks any access to the tensioner. That's why I wanted to raise the engine some since there seems to be an access hole a little further up. I understand why you would use a closed box wrench, but why the extension? I don't see an extension being much use without a socket for the bolt unless there's a way to use it with the wrench? Sorry I'm a bit confused on the set up.

·
6,365 Posts
Most ratcheting wrenches have short handles, which cause two problems...they don't get far enough down past that frame member for you to get a good grip on, and secondly they don't give you enough handle length to get you the required mechanical advantage you'll need to crack that sucker loose.

In this case, by extension I meant 'length of pipe' a la breaker bar, not a socket extension, or use another crescent wrench locked into the end or the ratcheting one.

Like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDI4j1LgqV4

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah! I see what you mean now. Now that I remember I've done quite often with my ratchet and the removable bar on my jack. Thank you very much for the info. Does anyone know the size of the bolt by chance?

·
6,365 Posts
If same part as the Altima, it's a 14mm.

But I may be leading you astray (my bad)...I'm given you 3rd gen Altima info...for a 2011...which is probably more like the 4th gen (07-12), which is a completely different design.

Have you looked at the Factory Service Manual for your car yet? Start around p.13.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've looked at the fsm and I also have a chilton manual that I am following as well. They both say the same thing to just go in there and take the one bolt out, installation is the reverse of removal. That's about it, I think what I'll do is take the wrenches that I have now and see which one bites the best on the nut then buy 3 different sizes one smaller, one best size, and the next size up. Shouldn't be able to go wrong with that set up. Most 3rd and 4th gen are set up about the same until you get to the earlier years which have 3 different belts with the tensioner being a bolt rather than an automatic one. Should be a fun little project though, just can't wait to get they tensioner on so I can stop hearing the wobble and better mpg of course.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts