The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, it could have been much worse. Going over the railroad track I always go over @ 7:30 pm tonight, and a man and his two kids are in the road. I'm going about 30 up the tracks and don't see them til I get to the top, he went back to get his son out of the fast lane as I was in the slow lane, his daughter was in the right lane I was in. I start to come to a stop and hit her dead on at about 10 - 15. She then flew on top of my hood and as I came to a stop less than second later, she flew off my car about 5 feet. She was crying and moving, so I'm so thankful for that. I'm 100% positive if my car wasn't as low as it is that I would've no doubt ran her over. I have to pick up the report tomorrow, but I didn't catch her name, but I knew what hospital she went to. I went to that hospital to check on her and give her a teddy bear about 2 hours later (i was soo shoken up, still) with what little info I had and they couldn't release anything, which is understandable. Being that I myself have a 3yr old daughter, I can relate to this extremly, thats all I keep imagining, is what if it was my daughter. I just don't understand how an adult with 2 small children can take there kids across a street that I imagine gets 2-3,000 or more vechicles a day, across the middle of a street, 10ft from a humped railroad crossing knowing you can not see what is coming from the otherside, and also, they were coming from the side of where ther houses were onto where a graveyard is, where there is no sidewalk and only 2ft of grass in between this busy street and the fence. I'll keep you all updated. My worst fear about driving came to life today, and it was worse than you could ever imagine, unless, of course, you had it happen to you or have a small child of your own. And the least of my worries right know, noting is wrong with the car, had to add it before it was asked.

Jason

·
Energy Liberation Front
1,290 Posts
That's awful. It's my worst fear as well, which is why i always take it slow around neighborhoods...at least you were going slow, it could have been much different.

Also, not to sound insensitive...but were they vagrants? I mean a man and two kids walking across a railroad track in the middle of the night sounds a little strange.

Good luck with everything.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
freshman said:
jason...is there anyway you are going to be held responsible for this? Or would the father be considered neglegent or something?
There is no way i'll be responsible for it that I know of, but I could possibly see a neglegent charge being brought up.

·
Registered
882 Posts
wow thats some hard shit man. that is one of my fears of driving to is to hit a pedestrian but accidently hitting a child. i hope nothing but the best for you and for the child. hope everything will be alright.

·
WheeEEEEEeeEEeEe!!!!!!!
550 Posts
I'm sorry to read that, but, hey, it could be worse, right?

The girl seems like she'll survive and the father probably learned a good lesson about taking his kids across railroad tracks. You weren't hurt either.

It's pretty much too late to change the past, but you can all learn from it to make the future better.

Good luck and keep your head up; it's going to be alright! :)

·
ju kan du et
476 Posts
I have a 5 year old girl too and I know exactly what you mean when you think of "what if it was my son/daughter". I sometimes see little kids crossing streets alone or riding in a car without seatbelts and wonder what kind of crap their parents have in their head. Anyway, I'm glad to hear everything is turning out ok so far. Good luck.

·
I hate my Altima.
831 Posts
Don't feel too guilty about it; it just happened you were in the wrong place at the wrong time (as were the little girl). . . you weren't speeding, you werent DUI, you were just driving over a blind hill. I would be more scared of the fact that this could ruin my life and get sued. . . but since you said that wont happen to you- good.

-Wisky

1 - 20 of 28 Posts