The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
I have a NISMO oil cap
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if anyone else has done this yet, but Ford Racing had a driving event today at the Irwindale Speedway in California (http://www.fordinnovationdrive.com/home_racing.htm). They let you take the 2005 Mustang GT, Ford 500 and the Ford Freestyle out for a test drive through the actual racetrack. The best part was that they also offered drivers the Mustang in either 5spd or Autotragic. Naturally, the line for the 5spd was three times as long as the auto line, but it was well worth the wait.

My impressions;

This car has plenty, and I mean, plenty of oomph. It wasn't as butt fast as my friends Dinan M3 (~370hp) but this is definitely the 2nd fastest car I've driven. The shifter fell exactly where I wanted it, but I have to say that the throw was a bit longer than I liked, and it was a bit vague getting into gears at first.

This car is SOLID. this is unlike the last gen (ya'll know, the chassis that's been around since the mid 70's). The fact that it's built on the Lincoln LS chassis shows. There was a coned slalom section of the track and the car definitely felt sure-footed around them. yea, it's a solid rear axle, but wait until a Cobra version comes out. That sucker will be quite the sports car, especially since the chassis was meant to have independant rears.

The interior... WOW... that's the first thing I did when I peered into the cockpit. The steering wheel and dash were tastefully retro, and everything seemed to be made with decent bits of plastic and chrome accents. And the first thing I noticed as I sat in the buckets... the leather is TEN times nicer than the camel nutsack Nissan calls leather in my Altima.

I love the car through and through. I think it's a beautiful car to look at, has the balls to back up the purebred fastback muscle car looks, and has a solid un-ford like feel to it as you push it hard. And considering it starts under $25K for the GT.... expect to see this on every corner very very soon. Hell, I'm hoping and wishing I can have one perhaps in the next couple of years. :)

And here are some random pics:

the black GT I drove...

·
I have a NISMO oil cap
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The ford GT was also on hand to stare at in person and sit in (couldn't drive it though :( )

An interesting little fact about the headlights here; Since the GT was made to commemorate the 100th anniversary of Ford, they added a little hump in the reflector to the left of the projectors to make it show in extreme subtlety "100".

·
Smell it, fools...
1,728 Posts
Are all mustangs going to look sweet like that or only the GT?

·
I have a NISMO oil cap
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the first picture of the stang with the hood open is the V6 model. Supposedly all V6s will come with those 16s, and the GT's will have the 17s. Also, the easiest way to differentiate the two is that the V6 will NOT have the 2 foglights integrated into the grill.

·
AKA Otto Von Titsling
791 Posts
Hmmm the new mustang looks kinda plain to me. The lack of the scoops behind the windows ruins the shelby throw back look for me. It still looks nice, but not as stand out as it used to look.

·
Rockin the Kasbah
4,106 Posts
They do make the side scoops already....saw it online the other night actaully at some site!!!

1,407 Posts
Is it just me or in the last year has ford produces some good looking powerful cars and trucks?

·
I have a NISMO oil cap
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ford... well... american cars in general, have finally come to their senses. They're building cars that can honestly be all things to all people, and do them all relatively well.

I've never wanted to own an American car, even though I grew up with Fords in my house. But in the last couple of years, the domestics have been giving the imports a run for their money... and a run for mine. :)

·
Be very afraid...
5,464 Posts
Crazy as it sounds, the new Stang is the first car that I considered trading my G for, but it won't really help the financial aspect I'm after and it won't do much to keep me out of trouble

·
Stringz of Death
2,481 Posts
does anyone know how the V6's HP numbers stack up? i mean, if that thing isnt pushing at LEAST 250 HP, like the current Stang, then its just a joke, as always, and the GT will be the one to have.

well, the V8 will always be the one to have LOL

·
Registered
314 Posts
I can't see why so many love the new mustang. I hate the retro look. It looks so bland and the nose of the car has to be a major step back in aerodynamics. It's like a truck.

The GT will still run 14s even with 300 ponies and handle like a sled. I'll stick with imports.

Thai, maybe you are driving the wrong imports. Test drive an Evo. It will run circles around that mustang.

·
I have a NISMO oil cap
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I know the evo will run circles around it. The reason I love it so much because of the retro look. My mom's first car was a 72 mustang from which the new mustang shares a lot of it's styling cues. It lasted her damn near 20 years before she was sideswiped by some retard truck driver.

I'm not comparing this car to the AWD monsters that the japanese have been perfecting. I'm judging it for what it is, an american muscle car that brings me back to better times. And it's also a huge sign that Ford is going in the right direction.

I've never driven an Evo, but I have driven a WRX, and yes, that would still outhandle the mustang, but from what the mustang was in the past couple of decades, to what it has become for 05, you'd be silly not to be impressed.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts