Nissan Forums banner

1 - 20 of 8130 Posts

·
Administrator
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 1st & 2nd Genners have a thread like this in their forum and it has turned out to be very popular and successful. This will be an ongoing discussion thread for 3rd Gen shop-talk and chatting.

No flaming. No noob questions. No politics, sports, etc. (take that stuff to Off-Topic). Just Nissan enthusiasts coming together and talking shop.

·
Administrator
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'll start:

So my alternator went out unexpectedly a few days ago. It also killed my battery so I had to replace that too. Great. I didn't realize how much an alternator + labor was going to cost. Nissan dealer wanted $750(!?), and that didn't include a new battery. Plus, I had to wait at least a few days for the alternator to be shipped in from Sacramento. The day it happened, the AAA tow truck driver recommended a local AAA approved shop. I had to make a decision on the fly so I went with his recommendation. Local shop ended up doing everything -including a new battery- for $500, and I was out of there in less than 24 hours.

Gotta love unexpected car issues that put a nice little dent in the wallet.

·
Super Modder
5,296 Posts
still need to get my hvac system checked out, its been on/off all summer. heat is more necessary than a/c for me.
What is the issue with your HVAC? I am having some second thoughts about giving up the easy repair of the manual system, so I may just put up some pieces of the auto system for sale...

@CHiP...ouch, that hurts.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
unexpected repairs suck

just washed my car today and realized that it has been about a year and a half since it was clay-barred and waxed

·
antispider
681 Posts
still need to get my hvac system checked out, its been on/off all summer. heat is more necessary than a/c for me.
Haha, my A/C hasn't worked in at least 3 years and my cheap ass just rolls the windows down. My heat is fine and thats all I really care about. Once and if that goes then I will get it fixed.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Eww....nasty, scaly, gritty feeling.
yea pretty much sums up how the paint feels. I hate it, but haven't had a damn free weekend where I could spend several hours messing around with my car. Soon though. I quit work come the first of the year and start a full time internship so I will hopefully have a lot more time to spend with the car.

and other than that, I'm just waiting to hear from the guy who has my seats hijacked:wall:

·
Administrator
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
unexpected repairs suck

just washed my car today and realized that it has been about a year and a half since it was clay-barred and waxed
I have Zaino polish sitting in my garage collecting dust. My car needs a good clay bar and polish as well. It's been over 3 years :wall:

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I have Zaino polish sitting in my garage collecting dust. My car needs a good clay bar and polish as well. It's been over 3 years :wall:
that is a crappy feeling.

at least white and silver never really look too bad when they are filthy...

·
Super Modder
5,296 Posts
yea pretty much sums up how the paint feels. I hate it, but haven't had a damn free weekend where I could spend several hours messing around with my car. Soon though. I quit work come the first of the year and start a full time internship so I will hopefully have a lot more time to spend with the car.

and other than that, I'm just waiting to hear from the guy who has my seats hijacked:wall:
For those of you who wonder what all this crap is about, I picked up a leather rear seat for this ingrate's car...We are still working out the logistics of sending it diagonally across the U.S.

It is just fine in the back of the minivan

·
Still #1 in 2017
5,274 Posts
Finished sanding the SE-R bumper down the primer. Waiting on the painting supplies to arrive.

Finished sanding the second layer of kitty hair on the grille. It's getting there.

Finished rewiring the gauges for the car. The nitrous will be going back in after it's rewire in about a week. Waiting on another distribution block and a new nitrous express switch panel so I can avoid using those toggle switch type covers. I should take a picture of the rat's nest I pulled out. Kind of strange how it started out as a base nitrous kit and then I added on one thing, then another and it all became this web of confusion. Not any more!!

I've made the decision to go back to the 350Z intake manifold and will be using a spacer to add more intake volume for added power. I will also be doing the MREV modification which has shown to help on the 350Z boards. Only problem with this is I'm going to have to hack up the hood. I've found a scoop that will look inconspicuous enough to not give anything away.. but not entirely ruin the flow of the entire car.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SSE-950-72107/?rtype=10
Should look good painted and on the car. Will be ordering it soon for test fitments.

I'm keeping the sills black. Going to be painting the front bumper along with the rear and doing that "black out lower grille" modification. It should tie in really well with everything else.

Now I just need to find a good deal on some more AN lines and fittings and I will be mounting my new second bottle. Should be interesting.

The funnel for the coolant stuff is coming tomorrow. Will be replacing my thermostat and fluids then. Fun times!

Wow.. long list.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
For those of you who wonder what all this crap is about, I picked up a leather rear seat for this ingrate's car...and I am taking my sweet ass time getting it to him

It is just fine in the back of the minivan
fixed it for ya;)

:lol:

and gene, how big is that hood bump? it doesn't look all that big from the pictures

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I need to detail mine as well. Maybe this weekend I'll get to it. Right now the only things that I'm waiting to get done are a pulley and tune. I finally retrieved my ECU code on Sat and didn't find it on UPREV's matrix. So hopefully they'll be able to take care of it and I'll be done until I can get cams etc..

·
Super Moderator
4,925 Posts
So I've been trying to fab up a "scoop" for my Berk. Here's the concept - which I had installed but it got ripped off in some road work - with no resonation boxes installed, there's the hole that leads to the fender well area where a CAI would sit. I took some house ventilation tubing (the rigid stuff) and ran it down to the fender well liner. On the liner, I installed one of those dryer ducts that you stick on the outside of the house. This one was steel and I had the open end facing the front of the car so I would get a "ram air" effect and hopefully feed cooler air into the engine bay. My theory was that I would give cooler air to the intake while avoiding the water hazards of a CAI. I planned on making a wall to separate the WAI from the rest of the engine. Without the separation wall, it seemed to work well, but then I discovered some ground clearance issues the hard way. Tore out the entire liner and demolished the ductwork. Starting over...

Any ideas for improvement? Remember, this is a concept so it's ugly now, but hopefully in the future it'll be pretty and very functional.

·
Super Moderator
9,752 Posts
Where are the pics?
So I've been trying to fab up a "scoop" for my Berk. Here's the concept - which I had installed but it got ripped off in some road work - with no resonation boxes installed, there's the hole that leads to the fender well area where a CAI would sit. I took some house ventilation tubing (the rigid stuff) and ran it down to the fender well liner. On the liner, I installed one of those dryer ducts that you stick on the outside of the house. This one was steel and I had the open end facing the front of the car so I would get a "ram air" effect and hopefully feed cooler air into the engine bay. My theory was that I would give cooler air to the intake while avoiding the water hazards of a CAI. I planned on making a wall to separate the WAI from the rest of the engine. Without the separation wall, it seemed to work well, but then I discovered some ground clearance issues the hard way. Tore out the entire liner and demolished the ductwork. Starting over...

Any ideas for improvement? Remember, this is a concept so it's ugly now, but hopefully in the future it'll be pretty and very functional.

·
Winner March 2010 NOTM
6,670 Posts
What is the issue with your HVAC? I am having some second thoughts about giving up the easy repair of the manual system, so I may just put up some pieces of the auto system for sale...

@CHiP...ouch, that hurts.
it just seems to have a mind of its own, a/c is pretty much non existent, if i'm lucky i'll get a tiny fart of lukewarm air coming out of the vents for oh 30 seconds.

as far as i can tell the heat is ok, it was HOT in the car the other day so that's a good sign.

if its an expensive fix i am just going to leave it, i don't care to spend $2k on replacing big pieces of the system (compressor or whatever it might be)

Haha, my A/C hasn't worked in at least 3 years and my cheap ass just rolls the windows down. My heat is fine and thats all I really care about. Once and if that goes then I will get it fixed.
glad to hear i'm not alone

1 - 20 of 8130 Posts
About this Discussion
8.1K Replies
177 Participants
coconutt
Nissan Forums
Welcome to Nissan Club, one of the largest Nissan forum communities. Discussion, reviews, maintenance and more.
Full Forum Listing