The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
August '12 NOTM winner
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4/25/12 Dyno w 4" intake 301 whp closed cutout

2/23/12 Dyno trip 3, HP 293 closed cutout, 298 open.

1/29/12 Haltech is in, Exhaust valve timing is working, 380cc injectors in, working on a street tune then going to dyno!

12/3/11 2ed Dyno, UTEC street tune, cutout open, 280whp

8/23/11 First dyno , stock ecu, some fuel added 250whp

UPDATE 7/28/11 it RUNS!!! Check page 7 for info!!!!!!

I'm currently swapping in a 2009 Maxima VQ35 into my 2002 Maxima.

Ive been trying to research this out much as possible but there is not a whole lot of info with specifics to swapping this motor. Over the past 5-6 months ive been working on my 5.5 gen got a ton of mods for it (Tein SS, Cattman headers, Cattman 3 in catback, all ES bushings, etc).

With looking at the FSM, and FAST ive determined that is NOT accurate information to use for this swap. The pictures and even some of the information is just WRONG. Quick example- Spark plug socket list as a standard socket, in 02 and 09 FSM, which would lead you to think they are the same. But the 350Z HR FSM list the spark plug as a 14mm. and in fact the 2009 VQ35 FWD uses a 14 mm what i call "mini" plug, its very small compared to the older plugs, that means the coils are smaller diameter also and cannot be used on the older motors.

Anyway, so i just received my motor that will be used for the swap, its from a 2009 Maxima it has 31k on it and looks great! I had a 09 motor for the last 2 weeks but the junkyard sent me the wrong one it had acid damage and wast not the one i had ordered im much happier with this 31k motor thats in A+ condition than the other one that was 21k but not so good condition.

Why a 09 VQ35 in a 02?

Better intake manifold, and runners (much better intake manifold)

Bigger intake ports in the heads (52 mm vs 46mm)

Bigger Throttle Body (75 mm vs 70 mm)

Exhaust Valve Timing (helps top end power)

Higher Compression (10.6 vs 10.3)

Less "issues" (oil consumption, timing chain guide stuff)

other things that i have to confirm.

The Plan

Get the motor in my car run on 5.5 ecu till everything checks out and i can purchase a Haltech.

Haltech will be made pnp with a patch harness, (see here) this will offer full engine tuning, while retaining my stock 5.5 ecu to keep my stock functions.

Im going to use stock fwd cams, to keep this motor "stock" but if i was to go aftermarket on cams they HAVE to be HR CAMS. i though about 350Z HR cams to keep a "oem" cam in the motor.

Update 8/6/11 Not sure which EMS ima run at this point, to be later determined.
Update 1/19/12 350Z Haltech is in with dual widebands.

THE SWAP

Here it is, the "How to"

09 VQ35 into 02 Maxima:

Major parts that are needed off old motor. oil pan upper and lower, engine mounts brackets that mount to block, coolant pipes on front of motor and sides, crank pulley and all accessory's. That's the quick list more in depth as i go through it.

I will post all my findings in this thread along with what parts are needed to swap and how to do it.

Full Dyno tune will come but it will not be right after the swap is done!

I made this photobucket album for all the swap pics: www.photobucket.com/SurraTT09VQ

I will also have this on Voltage Drop.net

Modifications needed to 09 motor to make it work in the 02 Maxima

Cut off 2 mounting ears so the 02 power steering pump will bolt up

Use upper and lower oil pan from w/e car you have (auto or manual)

Mail belt adjuster needs more space, so some of the 09 timing cover has to be cut down, also the bolt it self needs to be "pushed" down so it dont stick so high out

Alternator needs some washer to push it to the front of the motor, and the 09 bracket has to have a hole drilled in it for the top alt bolt.

Passenger side motor mount TOP black bracket needs holes enlarged and new bolts have to be used.

The rear 2 exhaust studs have to be switched (this allows 5.5 gen headers to work)

The 09 fuel rail is quick disconnect the 02 fuel line has to be cut and use fuel injection hose and a barb going from the 02 hose to the 09 rail.

The cam sensors need the signal inverted to work with the 02 ecu.

Needed from old motor:

Water pump access cover
Crank Pulley
Motor mount brackets Front, Rear, and passenger
Axle mount
Upper and lower oil pan
oil pickup tube
Oil dipstick

Power steering pump, with adjustment bracket

If keeping oil cooler you will need all of that setup except thermostat.

exhaust of some sort (oem or aftermarket)
Alternator
AC compressor and brackets
Main belt adjuster

Edit: Anyone wondering why under my name it says 5.7 Gen Maxima , well this is why. hahah.

5.7 gen the best "stock" Maxima ever

·
Raiders & Lakers 4 Life
4,195 Posts
how does it sound u got sound clip

·
Snow... what
3,029 Posts
so when are you camming that thing and putting down some serious N/A numbers? Nice swap, i read your threads over on the org, best N/A mod for sure.

Impressive numbers no doubt. I'd assume the block is stronger then the DE's also, bigger rods ect. Might hold more boost like the HR's do.. just a thought.

·
August '12 NOTM winner
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how does it sound u got sound clip
4dsc's channel - YouTube

Nice swap and impressive numbers!
Thanks!

so when are you camming that thing and putting down some serious N/A numbers? Nice swap, i read your threads over on the org, best N/A mod for sure.

Impressive numbers no doubt. I'd assume the block is stronger then the DE's also, bigger rods ect. Might hold more boost like the HR's do.. just a thought.

Not sure really, planning to leave it as is for awhile. 300whp is still "new" and fun haha

Im not really sure, I think its just as strong as a regular DE. The CVT 09 maxima dont really rev high like the HRs do. The cvt keeps rpm at 6200 at wot.

Ill probably build a separate motor up before caming this current one. Nothing to special, Rods , pistons, oil pump, cams,springs, bearings. Whatever it would take to spin to 8k. See how all that does on my current intake/header setup. Then mess with custom manifolds n such.

·
Snow... what
3,029 Posts
yeah if you do get a spare one, would be interesting to see a comparison of the rod thickness vs an older DE, just to see if there actually is a difference or not. Weighing them and side by side comparison ect. I would bet they would be a little beefier, but maybe not since it is from a CVT car...

But if they are beefier, would be a good swap engine for boost to get a little more from the engine without blowing it lol, cheaper then a built motor for sure.

·
August '12 NOTM winner
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah if you do get a spare one, would be interesting to see a comparison of the rod thickness vs an older DE, just to see if there actually is a difference or not. Weighing them and side by side comparison ect. I would bet they would be a little beefier, but maybe not since it is from a CVT car...

But if they are beefier, would be a good swap engine for boost to get a little more from the engine without blowing it lol, cheaper then a built motor for sure.

Yeah if I dissemble one ill compare all that. The 09 FWD VQ rods come in a lot of cars, but they are all FWD. The altimas, murano, quest, maxima, all those.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Darren, Good to see you posting up here. This guy is a wiring madman! Thanks again for that harness and great work again on you ride.

·
May '12 NOTM winner
3,404 Posts

·
August '12 NOTM winner
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just out of curiosity.How much did it cost you? Assuming you did the work yourself.
motor 1500-2500 depending (arp rod bolts, intake pipe, injectors, other stuff)

pnp haltech 2000 (VoltageDrop.net) with dual widebands

Yeah done the work myself. Was not all that bad really.

·
May '12 NOTM winner
3,404 Posts

So for 5k to 7k I could do a motor and tranny swap. Interesting? something to consider after I pay off my car!

·
Snow... what
3,029 Posts

Thats pretty cheap. That 1500-2500 includes the ARP rod bolts and injectors? What injectors are you running, stock 350/370z's?

·
August '12 NOTM winner
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So for 5k to 7k I could do a motor and tranny swap. Interesting? something to consider after I pay off my car!
Yeah, it would actually work with the auto trans too.

Thats pretty cheap. That 1500-2500 includes the ARP rod bolts and injectors? What injectors are you running, stock 350/370z's?

Depends on where you get the parts really, I got used 380's for cheap. And ARP rod bolts are 140 ish. If i was to do again id get OEM GTR injectors used for cheap.

·
Snow... what
3,029 Posts
Heres a few more ?'s for you

Coudl you have run the 09 motor off the 02-03 maxima ECU? Obviously the EVT wouldnt work since DE's done have that capability, but would it have ran fine with the factory ECU?

You used the 02-03 maf that came with your original motor right?

You used the 2k9 TB right? Is it straight PnP swap?

Im assuming the reason that you used the pulleys/accessories from the De was also because the new motor didnt come with any correct? Or did they not clear the frame since it may sit differently?

Trans bolted right up? No problems at all with that?

Just wondering, looking into sentra VQ swaps, and figured if I bought a spec V and did a vq swap, i would do the 09 motor since its way better.

·
August '12 NOTM winner
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Heres a few more ?'s for you

Coudl you have run the 09 motor off the 02-03 maxima ECU? Obviously the EVT wouldnt work since DE's done have that capability, but would it have ran fine with the factory ECU?

You used the 02-03 maf that came with your original motor right?

You used the 2k9 TB right? Is it straight PnP swap?

Im assuming the reason that you used the pulleys/accessories from the De was also because the new motor didnt come with any correct? Or did they not clear the frame since it may sit differently?

Trans bolted right up? No problems at all with that?

Just wondering, looking into sentra VQ swaps, and figured if I bought a spec V and did a vq swap, i would do the 09 motor since its way better.

I did run the motor off the 02 ecu only for a while. I was using the stock maf and intake. It runs lean with the stock ecu. It did not make that good of power on the dyno with the stock ecu.

Yea used stock 02 maf and maf housing for a while. Currently not even running a MAF sensor (Haltech).

The 09 Tb works on the 09 intake manifold. Far as wiring its a different plug but once wired up, it works fine on stock ecu.

Well using the stock 02 accessories was just the better way to go. If i was to changed to 09 stuff the lines and hookups and stuff woudl be a huge problem. The 02 power steering pump was very easy to get on the 09 motor. The 02 A/c compressor bolts to the oil pan, and i used the 02 oil pan so that was no issue at all. The alternator needed a bracket made, and the belt tensioner just needed a spacer to the nut didnt hit the ivt plug.

Trans bolts up no problem.

Yeah there are a few sentras working on this swap. A 300 whp stock motor in a sentra is pretty insane. Im very anxious to see one of these 09 VQ's with some cams.

If you do a 09 Maxima motor with EVT you really want it working, its there for top end power.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts