The Nissan Club banner

* * * The CVT thread * * *

212K views 332 replies 96 participants last post by  404124 
#1 · (Edited)
I have discussed an idea of creating a CVT specific thread with the other moderators that would cover all questions, concerns, problems, and FAQ's etc. So here it is. Please feel free to post here rather than creating a new thread.

-Last year, Nissan extended the warranty on CVT's installed in all Nissan vehicles to 10 years/120,000 miles.

-Typically most of the problems are seen with the CVT model that is used on the 4 cylinder engines. The most common failure seems to be the bearings. V6 model CVTs are holding up much better. Transmissions covered under warranty are typically replaced rather than repaired.

-The CVT uses a special Nissan CVT fluid, not traditional automatic transmission fluid. It's expensive too, around $15-20 per quart available through the dealer and a few online stores.

-When coasting downhill with the shifter in D or Drive, the CVT will change the effective drive ratio so that "engine braking" helps to keep the speed constant, or at least preventing the car from gaining a great deal of speed while going down a hill. You will notice a bit more engine noise as the engine RPMs rise. This is the way the transmission operates and is normal.

-The "manual" mode: It doesn't really help acceleration. It's better to leave the shifter in "Drive" for maximum acceleration. Some people like to use it for various reasons.

-Here is a write up of how to change the fluid yourself: http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/f-q-2007/296033-procedure-pictures-3-5se-cvt-fluid-change.html

See less See more
#4 ·
The transmission is serviced by removing the drain plug and refilling the unit. There is nothing complicated about servicing the unit, aside from needing to use the Genuine Nissan NS-2 fluid.

Nissan states the fluid should be changed every 30k under their premium maintenance schedule. There is no need to follow that schedule. The factory service manual suggests that the CVT fluid deterioration value be checked using the Consult-III scan tool and based on the reported deterioration value, it can be determined whether or not the fluid needs to be replaced.

#3 ·
does anybody else hear a loud clicking sound from under the hood at a stop or parked while after driving?

The dealership told me its the exhaust system expanding and contracting. does that sound right?

another after a long drive typcially 30 plus miles or so my tranny whines while coming to a stop, does anybody else have that issue?

I am wondering if these are signs that my tranny will blow. I have 45k i def want to make sure i get a new tranny before that warranty is up.

#49 ·
i have noticed that from day one with my car. i was always told that it was the exhaust system, as well...
when they explained it to me, they claimed that the clicking sound was the pipes changing temperature/expanding & contracting. sounds like the same thing they told you, huh? as far as the whines... neither of my cvt's in my altima made a whine, but i have been told that that is the most common noise from them. it should be checked by a nissan tech that has access to the consult iii system. they can dig deep into yeur car's ecu & tcm to find "hidden"codes that normally wouldn't cause any warning lights to come on. as far as soundsfrom the cvt, both of mine have made a noise that has been described as chewbacca taking a $#!+... both cvt's have lasted within 100, or so, miles of one another at around 30,000 miles each. at a low speed (5-10 MPH) it makes a really loud grinding sound.
sucks for me... but it's covered... so i guess it's no biggie for now...

#12 ·
Hows the CVT Tranny holding up for everyone

Monster289 and everyone else, hows your CVT holding up? mileage? What maintenance schedule are you following?

I just purchased a new 2010 SR last weekend, and finally had a chance to drive it around this weekend and play a little, still getting used the the cvt, the accerelation is great, but I still have some concerns about the realiabity. I understand that I'm covered by the 10 year 120K mile, but even stalling in rush hour traffic, is not fun, hence the reason why I have new car, my last one left stranded one too many times.

#15 · (Edited)
Monster289 and everyone else, hows your CVT holding up? mileage? What maintenance schedule are you following?
Mine is holding up fine. Just turned 45,000 miles today. I recently had my car at the dealer to have the trans checked for a "shift delay". It takes about 2 seconds to shift from park to drive, drive to reverse, and reverse to drive. The dealer said everything was in spec, and there was nothing they could do about it. My Mom's Murano shifts with only about a half second delay and I mentioned that to the service writer. They said the CVT unit on the Murano is different than on the V6 Altima, so it has higher fluid pressure and that's possibly why it shifts differently. My trans was also 1/2 quart low. They billed me $102 for diagnostic on the trans, and then they TRIED to charge me for a full quart of CVT fluid. After a short discussion with the cashier and the service writer, I paid for half a quart. :) Thieving bastards...

#13 ·
My 2007 2.5S CVT is still going strong. I do notice a small vibration at idle when in gear, but Im not entirely sure thats the CVT. Im due for other services as well.

I just passed 70k on the transmission and I have not had it serviced.

The only thing I dont like about the CVTs is that when accellerating slowly, the car will do sort of a subtle jerking motion when its moving through the cones, but the car did this since Day 1 and I noticed other people complaining about it too.

#14 ·
Just had my CVT fluid replace today. I got around 58,000 miles on my car. The dealer around here want to charge around $350-$400. So I went to where I bought my car which is 100 miles from me and have it change over there which cost me $250 total.

#16 ·
Thanks for the replies. Here are some sales figures I found for the Nissan Altima.

188K year to date through Oct 2010
203k for 2009
269k for 2008

660K altimas sold. I couldn't find any sales data for FY 2007, but assuming they sold 200k, that's 860 plus the few 2007 models sold in FY 2006, It would be a safe bet that their have been close to 900K Altimas sold, and I would guess 80-90% or more where sold with a CVT. So with that siad, I don't think the failures are as prevelent, otherwise this place would be loaded with complaints.

I was still having buyers remorse for buying a new car when I first replied to this post, so i've been going through every possible reason of why I should not have bought the Altima (or any car for that matter), I'm now removing the CVT from the list.

I'm through the break in period, but I really haven't pushed the car yet, figuered, I'd wait till I hit the 2000 mile mark, and then I'll see what it can do.

#17 ·
I've been thinking the same way as dbailey75 but never bothered to pull the statistics to support it. (Thanks for posting those!) Also, if the CVT was that problematic, I would have though that Consumer Reports would have picked up on it and really knocked the Altima in terms of reliability. Yet it's been highly rated by Consumer Reports and considered a Top Pick for a number of years now.

#18 ·
Very interesting and encouraging information. This is my first Nissan, as well as my first "car" that has a CVT. In the 7 weeks that we have owned the car we have put 7000kilometeres on it.
THe CVT is working perfect with 81kms total on the car now, half way through the 160km new car warranty.

My favorite passtime is by far snowmobileing, and these CVT's are the same as snowmobile transmissions. Two clutches that work together opening and closeing, changing the drive ratio.
So I can't help but smile, it revs to 5k and pulls strong, then drops down to a cruiseing rpm once up to speed. Just like my 2005 MXZ X 600. lol:)

Luckily the altima gets better fuel millage then the sled and doesn't need a new belt every other year lol

impressed with the smoothness and quality of theses cvt cars, but I won't have a solid opinion untill I can see that they handle high millage. Because thats what counts to me.

Curtis

#19 ·
on my 2nd tranny

Just had my CVT replaced this week on my 08 2.5SL. Also the front bearings for the 2nd time. All under warranty thankfully. Feel better after coming back to this forum in that CVT issue is not epidemic. I am not rough on my cars (quite the oposite) and remain concerned about the bearing issue but decided to keep the car and take a chance with it. My last car (Acura) was donated to Vietnam Vets after 250k miles and is still going strong with no issues and I doubt the Altimas are as reliable.

#20 ·
Just had my CVT replaced this week on my 08 2.5SL. Also the front bearings for the 2nd time. All under warranty thankfully. Feel better after coming back to this forum in that CVT issue is not epidemic. I am not rough on my cars (quite the oposite) and remain concerned about the bearing issue but decided to keep the car and take a chance with it. My last car (Acura) was donated to Vietnam Vets after 250k miles and is still going strong with no issues and I doubt the Altimas are as reliable.
sorry to hear about your luck, :sad:

what was the millage on your car when it failed? had you changed the cvt fluid before?
Not that a 2ish year old car should have the tranny die, just interested in the details.

thanks
Curtis

#22 ·
mileage was 66,500 and yes oil was changed per owner's manual by dealer. All is great now, and I will keep my fingers crossed. Good thing is that Nissan paid for everything so far and for that, I am happy.
What was your originall transmission doing? vibrating bad at certain speeds? Or totally toast and wouldn't move the vehicle?
that's great that nissan looked after it, with any luck your new CVT will go much further.

#23 ·
CVT replace

It was making a whining noise (no, it wasn't the wife) especially when letting off the gas pedal. The noise was getting louder over a period of time. I also noticed a drop in mpg from 31.5 to 28.5. Car is like new now but I am nervous about it. Time will tell.

#24 · (Edited)
It was making a whining noise (no, it wasn't the wife) especially when letting off the gas pedal. The noise was getting louder over a period of time. I also noticed a drop in mpg from 31.5 to 28.5. Car is like new now but I am nervous about it. Time will tell.
Hum, good information, thanks for sharing. I've heard that with the 2008 or maybe the 2009 model year, Nissan/jatco introduced a revised or 2nd gen CVT but I've not been able to find any supporting information from Nissan.

Does anyone know if the CVT on the 2.5 is the same in on the 3.5?

#28 · (Edited)
5M CVT's

and here's a crazy stat:

"JATCO (President & CEO Shigeo Ishida, Headquartered in Fuji City, Shizuoka, Japan, Capital: 29.9353 billion yen), a manufacturer of automatic and continuously variable transmissions (AT/CVT), has announced that it has attained a cumulative production of 5 million units of its belt CVT for medium FWD vehicles (JF011E). This makes the JF011E the world’s first CVT model to attain a unit production level of 5 million units*."

The JF011E is the Jatco part number for the Nissan RE0F10A, altima 2.5 and Rogue CVT.

http://www.jatco.co.jp/ENGLISH/NEWS/2010/100727E.html

#29 ·
and here's a crazy stat:

"JATCO (President & CEO Shigeo Ishida, Headquartered in Fuji City, Shizuoka, Japan, Capital: 29.9353 billion yen), a manufacturer of automatic and continuously variable transmissions (AT/CVT), has announced that it has attained a cumulative production of 5 million units of its belt CVT for medium FWD vehicles (JF011E). This makes the JF011E the world’s first CVT model to attain a unit production level of 5 million units*."

The JF011E is the Jatco part number for the Nissan RE0F10A, altima 2.5 and Rogue CVT.

2010/7/27E
wow, great information there. There are deffinently more cvt unit's on the road then i had originally thought. It would be intereesting to find some information on some of these unit's handeling high millage, like 250 to 350K miles. Because a good 4 speed automatic can certainly reach these numbers with proper maintenance.

Curtis

#30 ·
Well the thread I started was closed and diverted me here. '07 Altima with 34K and I am thinking of doing a transmission fluid drain and fill. Still can't get a definitive answer as some guys say don't touch it because its sealed, some say drain and fill @ 60K, some say flush and fill @ 60K. Some say have the dealer scan the fluid for life expectancy. Does anyone know how much computer scan costs? If its one hour of time which is $95.00 plus tax at my Nissan Dealer then I would rather spend $80.00 and drain and fill it with 5qts. and know I hav fresh fluid in there.
Any opinions on when to service it fellas?

273HYPO

#31 ·
You dont have to service it every 30k or whatever it says. Im at 40k myself with no service and I've heard some others going up to 70k or more before finally servicing it.
This is just what I have heard, I havent had any problems myself at 40k, no service.

#32 ·
Thanks for your reply...One other question though...When people refer to thier transmissions being serviced are you/they getting a full transmission system flush and replace all the fluid or just a drain and fill? Big difference in price...The flush I can't do but the drain and fill is simple and cheap!

273HYPO

#33 ·
Thanks for your reply...One other question though...When people refer to thier transmissions being serviced are you/they getting a full transmission system flush and replace all the fluid or just a drain and fill? Big difference in price...The flush I can't do but the drain and fill is simple and cheap!273HYPO
Certainly simpler and cheaper than a flush by the dealer. But with the high cost of the CVT fluid, it ain't EVER going to be cheap.

#35 ·
Called my dealer yesterday fo a quote on changing the CVT fluid.

dealerships answer: "you have a CVT, we don't change the fluid in the CVT units, we just monitor it with our computer systems"

I said: "I understood 96K kilometres was a schedule 2 CVT fluid change interval"

Dealership answer: "no, we just don't change it"

So I guess I am going to call another dealer and see what they say. Im keeping this car long past the 200k kilometre tranny warranty, so im going to change it regardless.

#38 ·
85K miles on mine with no change.
My dealer said that 90K miles was recommended but not required...they also said they will only do a drain / refill (no flush).
At this time, I have not decided whether to do it or not. Dealer want $190 for the drain/refill (approximately 5 quarts required).

#39 ·
NO CVT fluid change yet

It's almost 80k and I dont see any reason to change CVT fluid in my 07-2.5s.
However...just to be in the safe side I will change the fluid by 90k. In this forum someone did a nice job by draining first and then get remaining dirty fluid from outlet hose. I am going to follow the same procedure. If I dont see a drain plug I will either suck fluid out using an oil extractor or form the outlet hose.

One simple thing I thought of is -
- Provided mine has a drain plug
- Drain and measure the amount of fluid drained
- Add same amount of fluid through charging port
- Drive around or drive several days
- Drain and add fluid again

Not sure how good this idea is though, but it's simple for sure. I dont have to take any complicated things off. :shift:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.