The Nissan Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
BUCK FUTTER
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Crap Crap, damnit to all hell :(
I've been trying to figure out what this rattling is that i'm hearing. I've just about replaced every part of my exhaust, (except ex. manifold and cover, and flex pipe), changed my front tires (someone suggested that it might've been rocks in the rims), and now, some other members suggested that it was my timing chain guide. On my off day, I opened up the valve cover, and took the darned thing off. It didn't look like there was much wear on the other side... maybe a few lines that wern't really worn it. I didn't hear any rattling on the way home, so I was pretty happy, but today, it was as loud as ever! :angry2:
I'm putting back the timing chain guide tomorrow. So i've reduced it down to these final things: Either its the manifold or heatshield attached to the manifold, the flex pipe in front of the cat, or some rocks left in my REAR rims. :bawl: someone PLEASE help me out! I'm poor, but I can't stand that noise!! It just sounds like actual rocks rolling around in a can!

·
BUCK FUTTER
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dunno... I don't think it'd be valve related, cuz they're more clatter than anything else, this is an actual "large hollow can with rocks in it" kinda noise. Its pronounced. DAmnit!

·
<for hire>
2,769 Posts
off topic, related question: when you took your valve cover off, did you replace the seals?
If yes, how much are they?
If no, why not? Aren't you supposed to?

·
BUCK FUTTER
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you are supposed to - they're relatively inexpensive to replace, and its just that fresh rubber will outlast dried up rubber. Its not even multiple pieces, its just one really long gasket that fits all the way around the valve cover. I personally didn't replace anything as of yet, cuz at the time, it really didn't call for it. The original went back into place pretty easily. I might, however, replace it for the heck of it, when I take the valve cover off and try to paint it.

·
Registered
363 Posts
With the car in park, how bad is the noise at idle? Rev the engine couple of times and also bring RPM to 2000 and hold for few sec, and go up in 200 to 300 rpm increments up to 3500 rpm. Is the noise more pronounced at certain RPM? If yes, somthing like heatshield is rattling off of your exhaust sys. from manifold down to your cat.

Now go out and try 2 simple things. First, if you still have a Cat. heatshield still on, check to see if all 4 bolts are tightly on. Most likely,one or few of them will be rusted loose. If one or more are rusted loose, take it off or cut it off. You won't be needing it. Second, there is a small heatshield between the exhaust manifold and the flex pipe, just below the oxygen sensor ( 93 has only one sensor ) . You will have a better access from bot. of the car. Just above the 90 deg. bend on the exhaust pipe, check to see if the shield is still welded on to the pipe. Most likely, the weld has rusted off. Top part is bolted on. If the bot. section of it is loose, put a hose clamp around it and tighten it.

Try this first and if not this..... we will talk again.
later,

·
Keepin' It Real
726 Posts
Jayman....93-94 altimas all suck ass!!!!!!! Sell it already!!!!

The alty is full of problems...noises...creaks...all different types of problems...I know what your talking about!!! Just give it up and buy a Honda!!! I am serious!!!

I would sell mine if i didnt have such low miles on it!!! I can never get the amount of money i deserve for it!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts