The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Man with Car
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread is... interesting. Anyone remember the penis envy bit I posted a while back? The one that seemed to quell this stuff for a while? Well, I think the Maxima owners have a new line, and it's that they all jumped into a really, really, *really* cold pool. ;)

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=97443

Jarrod K. Wright
'02 3.5SE 5-speed
'98 SE 5-speed

·
Registered
62 Posts

·
1,333 Posts
Did the Max guy from Frakencar accept the speed challange from SCC?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thats a pretty good time (the guy with the automatic), except that he clearly says he had a pop charger when he ran that time. It don't think its unreasonable for an auto Alty/Max to run high 14s stock.
As for my car....I don't know what it runs as I haven't ran it yet. If and when I do run it...I'll post it. Then again...I wasn't talking "smack" either.....I don't troll on your board.

Thanks anyway!
Kevin

·
Registered
62 Posts
kvou812 said:
Thats a pretty good time (the guy with the automatic), except that he clearly says he had a pop charger when he ran that time. It don't think its unreasonable for an auto Alty/Max to run high 14s stock.
As for my car....I don't know what it runs as I haven't ran it yet. If and when I do run it...I'll post it. Then again...I wasn't talking "smack" either.....I don't troll on your board.

Thanks anyway!
Kevin
Troll on "my" board? Good luck when you go to the track!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I guess it's my car vs. the world in everyone's eyes. I like both the Maxima and the Altima. I think it's kind of funny that people get this emotional.

I don't know why they have to put down the Altima. It's made by the same freakin' company.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I was thinking the same thing...

lsc said:
I don't know why they have to put down the Altima. It's made by the same freakin' company.
I was going to the dealership to look at Maximas when I saw the Altima. I thought, wow!, great looks and a helluva lot cheaper. I never looked at the performance issue...V-6 was good enough. I still like the Maxima as well but I have had no regrets from my Altima purchase.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yeah, lsc....they are made from the same car company so what's the big deal? Do Corolla owners dog out their Camry-owning brothers and sisters like this? Not that I'm comparing us Altima owners to Corollas, but you get the point.

Say, did anybody else received the new 350Z postcard from Nissan in the mail? I opened it up and was trippin'. Zowee!!! Might have to trade in the Alty and get the Z....strap the kids onto that strut brace in the back and.....wait, what're we talking about again? HEE! HEE!

·
Registered
884 Posts
lsc said:
You know what it is??? Buyers Remorse!

It's not that the Maxima is bad, it's just that everyone is talking about the Altima. It would frustrate you to be excited about your new purchase, which you thought was the best one you could get, but instead everyone else is excited about the car below yours.

There isn't much Maxima bashing going on at this site, because there isn't BUYERS REMORSE! The fact is, you buy a 2002 Altima, you are going to be EXTREMELY happy with it!

·
Registered
65 Posts
No remorse here...

Definitely, definitely. I traded in our '91 Maxima SE for the '02 Altima so having driven and owned both models, I can say both cars are aces. Gotta love the styling of the '91 Max....'course, the '02 Alty's ain't bad either. ;-)

·
Man with Car
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
2002Altima said:
It would frustrate you to be excited about your new purchase, which you thought was the best one you could get, but instead everyone else is excited about the car below yours.
You've got a point, 2002. And I think that what *really* frustrates these guys is the fact that the Maxima should be faster than the Altima at the dragstrip, yet all the controlled testing that's been done and reported in automotive publications has indicated otherwise.

I think many of these guys (and I *do* mean men; as a general rule, women are too emotionally mature to engage in such infantile "discussions") on the Maxima.org forum are deeply bothered by the Altima. They practically bleed dissatisfaction with Nissan over the performance of the V6 Altima, so they resort to cheap-shotting the car at every opportunity. The thread I posted is hardly the first of this type.

Like lsc pointed out, it doesn't make any sense to whack a car made by the same automotive manufacturer. The two vehicles share about a zillion parts already, and if rumors are true you can probably add another zillion for the '03 Maxima.

This stuff is testosterone-induced goofiness to the nth degree. And it's a blast to read. ;)

Jarrod

·
Registered
62 Posts
jkwright said:

You've got a point, 2002. And I think that what *really* frustrates these guys is the fact that the Maxima should be faster than the Altima at the dragstrip, yet all the controlled testing that's been done and reported in automotive publications has indicated otherwise.

I think many of these guys (and I *do* mean men; as a general rule, women are too emotionally mature to engage in such infantile "discussions") on the Maxima.org forum are deeply bothered by the Altima. They practically bleed dissatisfaction with Nissan over the performance of the V6 Altima, so they resort to cheap-shotting the car at every opportunity. The thread I posted is hardly the first of this type.

Like lsc pointed out, it doesn't make any sense to whack a car made by the same automotive manufacturer. The two vehicles share about a zillion parts already, and if rumors are true you can probably add another zillion for the '03 Maxima.

This stuff is testosterone-induced goofiness to the nth degree. And it's a blast to read. ;)

Jarrod
Look at your gay first post in this thread?? Grow up!

What does "your" car run at the track please post timeslip then talk smack?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Motorweek posted a 0-60 in 5.9 and 1/4 mile at 14.4 @100mph with a 5 spd 3.5SE. These are the best published numbers we have seen for the ALTY so far. On any given day they may have done better or worse (weather conditions, driver ability, track condition). So why would the 6spd MAX perform any better or worse given that they share the same engine, have the same weight [email protected] posted his best stock dyno run on his 6spd MAX showing 206whp and 226tq. An ALTY member (Redbird) dynoed his 5spd 3.5SE (stock) and got 204whp and 226tq on his best run...(the 15 extra HP claimed by Nissan must all be lost at the wheels or never existed). There's no difference in terms of performance. Interior refinement goes to the MAX, no argument. After-all, the MAX does cost more than the ALTY, so I would expect something more for the extra $$.

·
Registered
62 Posts
jring said:
Motorweek posted a 0-60 in 5.9 and 1/4 mile at 14.4 @100mph with a 5 spd 3.5SE. These are the best published numbers we have seen for the ALTY so far. On any given day they may have done better or worse (weather conditions, driver ability, track condition). So why would the 6spd MAX perform any better or worse given that they share the same engine, have the same weight [email protected] posted his best stock dyno run on his 6spd MAX showing 206whp and 226tq. An ALTY member (Redbird) dynoed his 5spd 3.5SE (stock) and got 204whp and 226tq on his best run...(the 15 extra HP claimed by Nissan must all be lost at the wheels or never existed). There's no difference in terms of performance. Interior refinement goes to the MAX, no argument. After-all, the MAX does cost more than the ALTY, so I would expect something more for the extra $$.
I agree! Good post! Aside from the obvious interior refinements the Max is a 6spd an has larger tires, seat memory etc. They both have pretty much the same performance with the overall refinement going to the Max. But I still have to see a 14.3 (done many times by two different 6spd owners) or better by the Altima owner. I'm sure it will be done eventually.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Phatguy said:
I agree! Good post! Aside from the obvious interior refinements the Max is a 6spd an has larger tires, seat memory etc.
Larger tires and seat memory??? What was I thinking when I bought my Altima?!?!?! I guess I was just blinded by all the AWARDS it has won already! Now I KNOW I made the wrong choice. Thanks for coming over here and proving the Maxima as the better vehicle to us, Phatguy!

·
My little champion...
2,388 Posts
Phatguy said:

I agree! Good post! Aside from the obvious interior refinements the Max is a 6spd an has larger tires, seat memory etc. They both have pretty much the same performance with the overall refinement going to the Max. But I still have to see a 14.3 (done many times by two different 6spd owners) or better by the Altima owner. I'm sure it will be done eventually.
I know Steve's run was BONE stock but wasn't the other one done with a WAI - I remember Steve himself saying that if he did it with a WAI he should be getting 14.1-14.2 times...

If you are referring to WILLSE he did it with the Frankencar intake... This link should add a little more insight...

Discussion of WILLSE's 14.3 time

I know other cars (Altimas) need to make it out to the track more. I THINK WE NEED TO MAKE IT OUT TO THE TRACK MORE BEFORE IT WARMS UP... If we don't we'll never get that 14.3-14.4 time we seek to obtain w or w/o a WAI. I think we have only had one BONE STOCK time of 14.6xx without any modification whatsoever. I think too many people are posting 14.3 as STOCK when for some people it was not stock... I found an AUTO with a WAI posting 14.3xx as well on maxima.org...

I figure that it is all about the driver when it comes down to the Max and the Alty -

AFTER SEEING DYNO'S SO CLOSE I THINK THERE IS NOT A 15HP ENGINE CRANK DIFFERENCE - BUT I DO THINK THAT NISSAN ADVERTISING WAS ON CRANK...

I dyno'd my car early (1500+) and it showed lower HP/TQ numbers than Steve's - Redbird showed figures that were too close to Steve's for their to be a difference. I really think it comes down to the driver when its Max vs. Alty - I will say the Max's interior is ahead of the Alty - hell the Alty is its sibling - this should be expected.

We need to STOP ALL THIS SIBLING RIVALRY and realize that these car 1/4 times are too damn close. What are we talking about here - FRACTIONS OF A SECOND? How about a SECOND - thats a hell of a difference...

1 - 20 of 155 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.