The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i just called up CHP about geting some clear tail lights and they said that all clear is NOT legal, what makes it legal is when light hits the back of your car, some part of the tai light section has to reflect red. so.... u could have all clear with your colord bulbs, as long as thers either a sircular section with reflective red plastic or a strip of reflective red plastic on there that is a desient size. so....

that is not legal because tehrs nothing tha reflects red
but

that IS legal because thers someting that reflects red

i hope this helps out anyone curious about it :)

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
hehe...I posted several threads in the west coast forum about lights. there's more info there. But yeah...lotsa rice people out there w/illegal lights. thanx for the clarification.
Jay

·
Registered
29 Posts
Does anyone know what kind of lights that black altima on the bottom of the frist post are?? I would like to get a pair like those???

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
same as top, just painted.
Jay

·
Registered
29 Posts
so you could use any kind of red paint for that or would there be a speicla paint to sue on it???

·
dismember
9,414 Posts
not any paint, at least have to be transparent :D

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Actually, those half red/clear tails aren't legal. They don't reflect red, they're just painted red. For them to be legal, you'd have to have a red reflector strip, if you don't know what I'm talking about, take a flashlight, and shine it over your taillights. There's a piece under the reverse light that will reflect alot of light back, that has to be there to make them legal.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
95_XE said:
Actually, those half red/clear tails aren't legal. They don't reflect red, they're just painted red. For them to be legal, you'd have to have a red reflector strip, if you don't know what I'm talking about, take a flashlight, and shine it over your taillights. There's a piece under the reverse light that will reflect alot of light back, that has to be there to make them legal.
Right on. And make sure the DOT approval is easily visable.
Weird thing is, I got pulled over and was given a warning about speeding in the school's parking complex. Guy also says that I need to replace my rear taillight (was driving volvo; gf backed into another car and smashed it). I said someone hit me 2 days ago and the cop says "well, get some red see through tape on it for now till you buy the new one (which's $150-200...too damn much!)
So if you're getting pulled over anyways, you're gonna get screwed on the lights. But if you're driving ok and they don't profile you, you should be able to get by just by painting.
Jay

·
AKA Howey Feltersnatch
674 Posts
IF ANYBODY WANTS A SET OF THE PAINTED CLEAR TAILS LIKE THE ON THE BLACK CAR I HAVE A SET FOR SALE. 100 BONES SHIPPED TO YOUR HOUSE. I NEED TO GET RID OF THESE THINGS, I NEED MONEY FOR NOPI NEXT WEEK END. sorry for the caps, i need to sell these damn things. . .

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
vindeisel said:
what about passing an inspection? can you pass with painted clears
????
inspection for...?
Jay

·
Title beneath my name
200 Posts
hey...

i really want to do the half clear/half red look for my tails. my question is...is there some red reflective ish i can put on the tails after painting it...so that it would be legal?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i dont think ive ever had my car inspected.....
but maybe i havent had it a year.... odd....

lol, ill just keep my original tail lights and switch em out for the inspection :)

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Heehee...no visual inspections for us Cali people...just lame azz Smog/Emissions.
The only time they'll stop you for those lights are if they're profiling, doing some kinda bust/crackdown/raid thingy at a gathering, or if you're already gettting pulled over for something else...It's just like tint...if you're a few shades darker than legal, you won't get pulled for just that...it'll probably be a combo.
Besides, it's just a fix-it ticket...no fine...so pointless for them to get you for it. and when u do get a fix it, just spray paint or put red tape on them.
Jay

1 - 20 of 20 Posts