The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Just another ricer
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, for a little while, the time has come for me to leave the boards. Maybe just for a couple weeks, not sure. I am moving into my house I recently bought on the 28th Wed and the internet will be gone for a while. I am moving out of the Cablevision system and this means no more cable internet (not available), no more FREE internet and no more free cable (I work for Cablevision, it's a perk:D ) But if I can, I will hop on the boards on my lunch at work and check my emails here and there.
I am sure alot of you don't care but it's for the few I am doing this. If I don't reply to threads or emails as quickly, this is the reason. Thanks all for listening to me whine....even though I crossed over to Domestic Land, I know I can always come here for love hehe. :)

·
22,052 Posts
I am right there with you...We moved into our new place over the weekend, and we're just too far for most internet providers....SO it's either SDSL for$130 a month, or crappy Comcast....so for now, and until I figure out what we're gonna do, I have no net or TV at home.

Good luck with the new place and the move.

·
Be very afraid...
5,464 Posts
Cory, get DirecTV if you're able to mount a dish. (Wait, didn't you say there is already a dish mounted on your new place?) Also, if you swing over to DSL, don't do it thru Verizon -- I've heard tons of horror stories. I mean, when it comes down to it, you still use Verizon hardware, but go thru Earthlink or someone else if you can so you get better service and higher allowable bandwidth.

·
4,733 Posts
Peterson said:
Creature,

Yeah, we have a dish, and I think we're going to use it for the TV, but we still need to find something for the internet, and that's the difficult part...I've checked, and Verizon doesn't even service my area.
Why don't you go with Dish Internet for now? Unless you are a gamer it should be fine for now. Definitly better than dial-up.

www.starband.com
http://directv.direcway.com/main/index.html

its hella expensive tho :(

·
Be very afraid...
5,464 Posts
Eh? What kind of dish is it, DirecTV or DISH Network? Once you find that out all you need to do is go buy a receiver (or two or three, depending on how many rooms you want it in, but remember it costs $5/mo for each extra box and if you go over two boxes you might have to get a splitter or another LNB receiver on the dish itself). Once you have the receiver hooked up you just call the DirecTV or DISH national number and tell them what package(s) you want, and boom, it works while you're on the phone with them. If you get the DirecTV Internet or DISHnet service, it's like satellite DSL and you supposedly get cable-like bandwidth (although I don't know if it gets that high in real life).

·
4,733 Posts
Peterson said:
I can't find any dish providers in this area. I don't know what's up...No one will provide us service, and we paid a fortune to be in the heart of town. I'm like 10 minutes from DC.?

Uberghey.
Dude, as long as you can see the sky over your house...you can get dish internet.

·
sittin' pretty.
2,427 Posts
Peterson said:
I am right there with you...We moved into our new place over the weekend, and we're just too far for most internet providers....SO it's either SDSL for$130 a month, or crappy Comcast....so for now, and until I figure out what we're gonna do, I have no net or TV at home.

Good luck with the new place and the move.
eh....130 a month? that sucks...for me it's only 50 bucks a month.

·
4,733 Posts
Peterson said:
OK...I'm gonna look some more right now. I have the dish out front, but no receivers. I tried Direct TV and they said I couldn't get their internet service....
Did you even check the two links i provided for you above? :(

And Directv probably confiused their satellite internet with their DSL internet. They provide both. As long as you can get Directv programming to your house, I don't see why you can't get internet. I'm just confused :confused:

http://directv.direcway.com/main/index.html

AND

www.starband.com

·
Rally U13
1,562 Posts
if you're 10 min. from dc, you should be able to get dsl or cable! thats crazy stuff. what town are you in?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts