The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why does Nissan recommend Hi octane gas used in the Altima?
The car runs fine on low and seems to have a little better gas mileage allthough a little less power.

Dr. Bill Wattenburg, who's opinion I trust says that if the engine does not ping on the low octane stuff then there's no reason to use the high octane.

comments?

·
Always something better
1,037 Posts
Why did you buy the 3.5 if your gonna use regular, it might not ping but what about the lost performance.

Use what the manual says, not someone who has an opinion

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
do the math

well at 2 tanks per month (conservative) that's a minimum of $100 per year - $500 in five years minimum. If I can have my XM satellite subscription paid for, or a good portion of my audio equipment, just by pouring something else in my tank, why not? It's not like I'm racing the thing. Do I need that extra 10% of power to get on and off the freeway?

·
Always something better
1,037 Posts
Should have bought a 4 banger with all the same options and put a V6 badge on it:)

·
Registered
884 Posts
EDGE said:
Should have bought a 4 banger with all the same options and put a V6 badge on it:)
I know there is scarcasm here, but I think he has a point.

If you are worying about economy, and are telling us that you DON'T need the horsepower, why didn't you by the 2.5 SL? Everyone says the 2.5 is a very peppy machine!

then you could have bought you 5 years of XM radio and have it the term of your car loan!

·
1,357 Posts
Re: do the math

bbaker6212 said:
well at 2 tanks per month (conservative) that's a minimum of $100 per year - $500 in five years minimum. If I can have my XM satellite subscription paid for, or a good portion of my audio equipment, just by pouring something else in my tank, why not? It's not like I'm racing the thing. Do I need that extra 10% of power to get on and off the freeway?
Two tanks a month?!? I use two tanks a weeK!!!Hehehe!!!:D

·
Remember Me?
1,549 Posts
Re: do the math

bbaker6212 said:
if nickles and dimes are a concern maybe you should have got a more affordable car.....no offense intended but I have been there before......

·
Always something better
1,037 Posts
According to the Altima brochure the 2.5 gets 2 to 3 miles more per gallon than the 3.5 with the manual, the auto 4 does way better than the 3.5 auto.

So not only did you spend more for the bigger engine at least 2 grand but your probably not getting any better gas mileage than the 4 cause of the size of the V6, so it's all mental man you think your ahead.

If you went with the 4 you could have paided off the subscription.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I believe you'll shorten the life of the engine if you use regular because it will knock. The knock sensor will detect it and the ECU will retard the timing so your engine is not destroyed, but the engine will knock in order for the ECU to do its thing. That's why Nissan says no hard acceleration and don't floor it on regular gas, because you might damage the engine before the ECU can compensate.

·
sardonic patron
24 Posts
I wouldn't have said it the same way...

kenshi said:
I believe you'll shorten the life of the engine if you use regular because it will knock. The knock sensor will detect it and the ECU will retard the timing so your engine is not destroyed, but the engine will knock in order for the ECU to do its thing. That's why Nissan says no hard acceleration and don't floor it on regular gas, because you might damage the engine before the ECU can compensate.
...but I would have said the same thing. The advice about knocking DOES NOT pertain to computer-controlled motors.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Regular vs. High octane

kenshi said:
I would agree that 91 octane is recomended for a reason, and its really not that much more when you consider the benefits. I use Sunoco ultra 94 octane and it really does make a difference:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Please stop you SHOULD use higher (91+) Using premium gas is not for increasing performance (not directly) or for giving you extra horsepower. What it does for you is to prevent detonation or pre-ignition. Detonation means that the fuel and air mixture ignite at the wrong time due to the high compression and heat. This is VERY bad for the engine. The effects of detonation are cumulative, meaning the damage adds up. Higher-octane gas will be more resistant to detonation and ALLOW YOUR ENGINE TO RUN AS INTENDED. As for the knock sensor when the knock sensor does its thing that means there HAS ALREADY BEEN SOME KNOCKING THAT HAS OCCURED and the cumulative effects of this can DAMAGE your engine

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think the guy bought the 6 instead of the 4 because it is more refined and it is more powerful even if you lose 10% by using regular. I remember an article from Car and Driver comparing regular to premium and it advised car owners to use what the manufacturer recommends. However, for cars that require regular, there is no advantage for using premium.

I know of one person who drives a Mercedes S430 (2000) and they use regular! Also, they have used regular with their other Mercedes for years without any problems! However, they do put bottles of additive once in a while. So whether there is any damage to the engine, I am not really sure.

I think I would stick to the manufacturer's recommendation in case it voids the warranty.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Buying a car with an engine that requires 91 octane fuel and then putting 87 octane in it is stupid.

When you put less than the required octane fuel in a car, the performance and mileage go down the toilet because the ECU has to adjust the ignition timing to compensate for this and the result is very non-optimal timing. But the ECU has no choice becuase you put the cheap stuff in and it has to roll back the timing to keep the engine from breaking apart from knock.

Net result? You lose power. You lose mileage. You lose money.

If you put the **PROPER** fuel in your car you maintain performance, mileage, and efficiency. And because you do this your ECU lets the engine run with optimal settings where it's designed to run and the most efficient.

There have been many MANY debates on this over at Maxima.org, and the consensus is this. You can put 87 octane in the VQ3x, but you're better off just putting in 91 because if you put in 87 your performance and mileage go right down the toilet to the point where it would have been cheaper for you to just put in 91 in the first place.

So if you think you're saving a couple of bucks by putting in 87 you're probably going to find out you're wrong.

Just put in 91 :rolleyes:

If you're concerned about operational costs, maybe you should have gotten the 2.5 instead?? Or how bout an Accord V6? :p The Accord V6 is the only mid-sized import V6 that was designed specifically to run on 87 octane fuel. This is one of the reasons I got it since I drive 30,000 miles per year. Being able to put in 87 saves me about $300/yr.

But don't put 87 in a car designed for 91. You'll just do more harm than good. And you're not saving any money either because your efficiency/mileage/performance will all go right down the toilet.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts