The Nissan Club banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Dreamer
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Agree? Since a thicker rear sway bar will induce more oversteer, wouldn't it be dangrous to an inexperienced driver? This is the only factor that is holding me out from getting one for my car. I've experienced oversteer in my altima a few times....even though I was able to correct it with counter steering........I still don't feel confident taking turns as fast as I did b4 fearing that my car will oversteer again and hit the curb or something...What do you guys think?

·
Resistance is futile
1,713 Posts
Potentially. I experienced "terminal oversteer" a month or so ago on dry pavement. Admittedly, I was going too fast into downhill, off-camber turn. And I'm on my stock steelies with crappy all-seasons for the winter. Anywho, I ended up doing a 180 and facing the wrong way on the shoulder.

One the subject (sorta) Peterson - after I emailed the company in Florida about custom making front bars, I put together a FAX with my pictures, measurements, and a description of what we are about here, what we want for the cars, and the potential for multiple sales for them. Haven't heard a thing. I'm gonna call next to see if they are interested at all.

·
Resistance is futile
1,713 Posts
Peterson said:
If they want a stock bar to use as a template, we can get them one.

Thank you kind sir.
U R Welcome.
Yeah, I told them we were planning to ship a stock bar for their use.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
yeah. oversteer is bad for fwd cars...you're almost always screwed if you lose it.
However, if you drive normally (not any more agressive than you already do) the rsb will do wonders. I would suggest finding a huge lot, go fast straightline, turn hard, let go of gas for 1-2 sec, then get back on the gas, and throw the car into oversteer. Know what it feels like and try to find the point where you start losing the back end.
After that, you'll know how much u can push your car before breaking the back end. Enjoy the bar!
Jay

·
6,859 Posts
ThurzNite said:
yeah. oversteer is bad for fwd cars...you're almost always screwed if you lose it.
However, if you drive normally (not any more agressive than you already do) the rsb will do wonders. I would suggest finding a huge lot, go fast straightline, turn hard, let go of gas for 1-2 sec, then get back on the gas, and throw the car into oversteer. Know what it feels like and try to find the point where you start losing the back end.
After that, you'll know how much u can push your car before breaking the back end. Enjoy the bar!
Jay
what is fast?

·
Registered
510 Posts
RPMK104 said:
Agree? Since a thicker rear sway bar will induce more oversteer, wouldn't it be dangrous to an inexperienced driver? This is the only factor that is holding me out from getting one for my car. I've experienced oversteer in my altima a few times....even though I was able to correct it with counter steering........I still don't feel confident taking turns as fast as I did b4 fearing that my car will oversteer again and hit the curb or something...What do you guys think?
Man, it's just like with anything. The more you practice, the better you are at controlling it.

I tend to prefer an oversteering car. Give it a try. I'm willing to bet you'll like it more than understeer.

·
U13 Drifter
548 Posts
oversteer is a friend i play with daily to and from work, fwd cars with a driver that knows wtf their doing "shouldn't" have a problem with oversteer since we can get away with it by modulating the throttle and countersteering to power out of it.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Thurznite

It is simple to save in a FWD car. If you back end steps out, give it more gas and drive out of it. If you want to drive something that is hard to correct oversteer try and drive a RWD, Rear engine car....VW Bug or Porsche. They can step out if you come off the gas to quick in a corner....trailing throttle oversteer.

·
U13 Drifter
548 Posts
Re: Thurznite

Sleeper said:
It is simple to save in a FWD car. If you back end steps out, give it more gas and drive out of it. If you want to drive something that is hard to correct oversteer try and drive a RWD, Rear engine car....VW Bug or Porsche. They can step out if you come off the gas to quick in a corner....trailing throttle oversteer.
exactly, that's why you don't disturb the car with any quick changes and learn to heel and toe. Nothing puts a grin on your face quicker than taking your favorite corner almost sideways and coming out of it just like you imagined. i can't wait to get my 240 or aw11 mr2 once i'm done with the altima...

·
Registered
386 Posts
Re: Thurznite

Sleeper said:

What if both my front and back end start to step out? Then I'm screwed, right? Happened to me once, but my back end was sliding out a little faster.. I gave it more gas and i just started skidding backwards for hundreds of feet to a stop.

·
where is that cone from
38 Posts
oversteering?

Dude! ST rear sway bay and relocate battery to the trunk are the best thing happening to my car's handling department. just take it easy on the road, save your spinning for autocross.

·
Registered
15 Posts
yes, it can be a bad thing in the hands of an inexperenced driver. i have H&R springs and i can already get the rear of my car to step out (stiff rear springs will also induce oversteer). it only does it at high speed or when i really try to get it to go. i have raced my car on a full blown road course and it really helps out their. its amazing, i can get a huge drift going out their and its really controllable. but on the street it could see where it could be a problem because the rear is going to come out in emergency situations. the problem is that you have to hit the gas to come out of a drift (thus transfering the weight to the rear and planting them on the road)
im thinking about making a pair of adjustable swaybars for my car. because a front bar is needed.
as it is, my car is really balanced, it just rolls alot.

theirs this one turn comming out of my college that i can "drift" around. its really fun and no hand-break needed. the car always straightens out as soon as im on the gas.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I stopped drifting when I saw my tires where chunking.
I thnk you can induce oversteer with 20mph if you cheat and use the brakes to transfer weight.
My rwd volvo w/116hp can barely oversteer, even if I use the brakes. Maybe I have super grippy tires? or lack of tq/hp? heehee.
Jay

·
Resistance is futile
1,713 Posts
ThurzNite said:
I thnk you can induce oversteer with 20mph if you cheat and use the brakes to transfer weight.
My rwd volvo w/116hp can barely oversteer, even if I use the brakes. Maybe I have super grippy tires? or lack of tq/hp? heehee.
Jay
Aside from lacking the oats for a power-induced oversteer, the Volvo probably has a pretty good front/rear weight distribution. After all, it is rear drive, but it only has a 4-banger in the front.
Plus it's the safest car in the world, right? Those Swedes would never let you go backwards into a ditch!:D

·
Registered
15 Posts
ThurzNite said:
Jay

what kind of tires are you running? are you totally getting crazy and going very sideways? i could see how that would be a problem. my kuhmo's dont have big side blocks on the tires and that helps alot with the chunking, i also dont do it very much and never use the hand break so it dose it "naturally".
putting more air in the tire could help prevent it from chunkin and help you "drift" eaiser. your volvo just might be set up so it doesnt oversteer. the diff in the car might not lock at all so the car will want to only spin one wheel which prevents the rear from commin out. it may also have a really soft rear supension and a tight front one. or maybe weight distribution. also its harder to have the back end get out in a low HP car with an automatic if thats the case.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts