The Nissan Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does the thickness of the head gasket afect the timing??

·
Banned
2,829 Posts
no doesnt effect the timming ....just commpression ratio , only thing that effects the timming is the timming chain and the distrubutor

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Actually if you think about it might affect timing a little bit. You are moving the head up a little higher than what the normal gasket would be. By moving the head a little higher then it might be possible to be shifting the timing off by a little bit. I remember someone mentioning this to me a while ago, but I was never able to confirm if this was true. Something to think about though.

UltimaSE

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UltimaSE, how much the timing off? thanks

J

·
0 Posts
it does affect the timing. for every 12 millimeters the thickness is raised, the timing is advanced 2 degrees. the cam timing is also altered... so you need cam gears to retard it back to stock. this also will retard the distributor back to stock in the process. it rocks the timing belt forwards.

·
Turbo Motorhead
3,466 Posts
JHU Sam:

Please comment on the head gasket material types, i.e., copper, that you are refering to that are affected by a thickness increase. Also, and if you are aware, please comment on whether raising head gasket thickness affects compression ratios as well. Thanks. :)

J

·
0 Posts
it doesnt matter what material the head gasket is. as long as the thickness increases, the timing will be advanced. This is casued by the timing belt rocking towards the rear of the car. As mentioned, the cam gears will be advanced 2 degrees for every 12 milimeters that are added. Because of this, you really need adjustable cam gears to put the cam settings back to stock. This also will put the distributor back to stock as well.

Increasing the headgasket thickness will lower compression. I'm not sure on the CC's of the altima's combustion chamber, and overall shape of the combustion chamber... but i'd estimate for every 10mm increase in headgasket the compression is lowered .2

sam

J

·
0 Posts
btw, copper headgaskets arent needed unless you are going over 15psi. its a bitch to get em to seal... but when they do they are golden.

·
Turbo Motorhead
3,466 Posts
My motor was built on the premise of being able to run 15psi all day long. At the last minute, we decided not to use a copper gasket because we didn't think we were going to boost over 15psi. The motor build-up that comes next will be using a copper gasket, this is going to be a nitrous motor.

Again, thanks for the info!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i'm using 1.2mm copper head gasket., JHU Sam.. 12mm is it what u said? it real thick. What about i use 1.2mm, will affect the timing, how many degree is off? thanks for these information.

J

·
0 Posts
ill get back to you AA and ill get back to this entire thead. I know i have my concept right but I think my numbes are wrong... I've been trhough a lot of motor stuff and remember specific numbers gets difficult.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts