The Nissan Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
o werd
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine got a 98 Stratus and I want to do hook up his system. I was pretty upset that I let someone else do my system and then afterwards found out that it's not that difficult. So let me know if i'm in over my head or not...

I'm guessing it'll be pretty similar to the altima. He's got a Pioneer HU with 2 rca outputs. His system would consist of a set of components and a pair of subs in the back, for example. With either one or two amps. So I run the power wire from the battery, through the firewall, to the amp in the back. Then the ground wire from the amp to the chassis, then a remote lead from the remote wire on the HU to the amp. Next I run the speaker wire that the amp is powering straight to the amp instead of the HU.

Sounds madd newbish but does this sound right so far?

·
<for hire>
2,769 Posts
Magoo said:
Next I run the speaker wire that the amp is powering straight to the amp instead of the HU.

Sounds madd newbish but does this sound right so far?
no.. rca's go from preouts to amp inputs.. speaker wire goes from amp to subs/speakers

·
o werd
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, when I said the HU had 2 rca inputs, I meant it had 2 rca pre-outs I guess. Point is, it's an rca cable that goes from the amp to the socket in the back of the HU labeled amp pre-out, right? I still have a few more questions concerning wire gauges and stuff. The person who did my system didn't put any fuses but it's not that powerfull of a system. And if we use two amps, can I take one power wire and split it into two, one for each amp?

·
RINSE OUT!!!!!! RELOAD
950 Posts
yes you can split the power wire in two. use a FUSED distribution block.

you NEED fuses. you dont want your car to catch on fire or blow up because you didnt fuse your power wire.

install an inline fuse at most 18 inches or so from the battery.
this fuse needs to be rated appropriately for the size wire you are going to use. if you are using 8 gauge wire, a 50A fuse is sufficient.

if you are going to split the power wire into two smaller wires, you need to get a fused distribution block. get one from http://www.partsexpress.com

the fuses are necessary whenever you have bigger wire splitting to smaller wire. you dont want to overload the smaller wire and cause it to fry.

·
o werd
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So the "gauge" rated wires are for the power and the ground? What type of wire for remote lead? and RCA's are just basically the same? A fused distribution block for splitting the power wire, got it.

·
o werd
2,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just to be clear on something, the music or sound signal goes from the HU, through the RCA's to the amp, and from the amp powered to the speakers through speaker wires.

·
Mine's bigger than yours
401 Posts
Magoo said:
So the "gauge" rated wires are for the power and the ground? What type of wire for remote lead? and RCA's are just basically the same? A fused distribution block for splitting the power wire, got it.
Just use a 16 gauge wire for the remote lead, buy "decent rca's", meaning ones that arn't just pulled from your home stereo but also don't be stupid and buy $50 rca's, don't spend more than $20 for an rca wire...

·
<for hire>
2,769 Posts
sleepa said:

Just use a 16 gauge wire for the remote lead, buy "decent rca's", meaning ones that arn't just pulled from your home stereo but also don't be stupid and buy $50 rca's, don't spend more than $20 for an rca wire...
you don't have to worry about fancy wiring on your remote turn on. as long as it's insulated and can carry a current, it'll be fine... I am lucky and my dad works for an electrical company so he just hooked me up wiht some wire (heheh it's blue)

rca's are all the same as stated.. mine were like 3 bucks.. go for gold plated ones and they're all the same...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts