The Nissan Club banner

Which of these cars would you choose, optioned around $20K?

• [img]http://home.earthlink.net/~creaturestevens/postpics/SE-R_SpecV.jpg[/img] SE-R Spec V - 175hp/18

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • [img]http://home.earthlink.net/~creaturestevens/postpics/Tiburon.jpg[/img] Tiburon GT - 172hp/181tq

• [img]http://home.earthlink.net/~creaturestevens/postpics/tC.jpg[/img] Scion tC - 160hp/163tq - 2905#

Votes: 26 43.3%
  • [img]http://home.earthlink.net/~creaturestevens/postpics/SRT4.jpg[/img] Neon SRT4 - 230hp/250tq - 29

• [img]http://home.earthlink.net/~creaturestevens/postpics/CooperS.jpg[/img] Cooper S - 168hp/162tq -

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • Use the $10K to buy something boring and used, and have no car payment at all.

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Keep the G, dumbass!! Your kids don't need 3 meals a day anyway!

Votes: 11 18.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Be very afraid...
5,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, that's right. Thinking of selling my beloved G35c, for several reasons:

1) primarily fiscal/financial: I can afford the car, but there are better ways I could/should be using the money. I also don't have $1100 lying around for new tires every two years. Apart from the occasional drive out to the mountains or through West Virginia, all I do is commute in the car. And although I consider gas consumption a necessary evil of having fun while driving, and thus don't worry much about how big my gas bill is, it will be nice to pay less (and less often) at the pump. As a bonus, I can still get back the entire $10K that I put down on it.

2) it's not a real easy car to commute in (clutch action, blind spots, etc.).

3) I want a car I can drive in the winter without worrying if I'll get where I'm going. VDC is nice but can only do so much with these performance tires.

4) I've already demonstrated how this car gets me in trouble, and I've been extremely lucky up until recently.

5) I need a car that I won't obsess so much over. The paint on my G is not real strong and I hate that there's not much I can do about rock chips anymore. And I worry about every little sound I hear (rattles, squeaks, pops) I hear while driving.

So, I haven't decided 100% yet, but given what I've said, the above cars are FWD (AWD for the SRT4), easy to drive, cheap to run, and will be under $200/mo for 48 mo. payment after I apply the money I get back from the G.

So, if you were getting a new car for around $20K, which of the cars above would you choose as a replacement?

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
SRT-4 is FWD only, AWD is not an option on any of the cars you've listed.

Of the choices you have here I'd look closest at the Scion Tc, the others have their high points, but (at least on paper) the Tc seems to offer the best compromise of the bunch. If the G is getting you into trouble you should probaby avoid the more powerful cars like the SRT anyway.

·
Registered
128 Posts
If you're suddenly worried about mileage and whatnot, I'd get the Cooper S. However, I've heard it is extremely unreliable and you'd throw more money at fixing it than the G's gas.

Can't you just work an extra hour of overtime per week? :(

But, if I had to choose from the cars listed above, I'd keep it in the family.

·
carputer owns you
766 Posts
the tC is the best out of the ones you listed so far. Although if youw ant to spend a little mroe than 20k you can slide into a volvo s40. Or saab 9-3.

·
what the deuce?!
170 Posts
i like the scion a lot, tc is real nice looking but im partial to the tibby so i say go with it. although the scion is the cheapest.

ok wait a min how many of the options did you want to put on te scion cause you can do a lot of "aftermarket" stuff to the car as s oon a you buy it.

i dunno tibby i guess.

·
Cube Farmer
2,202 Posts
First, remember how much $ youre going to lose on taxes (plates) and then the cost of trading your vehicle for a new one (depreciation, trade in vs retail). Then figure that all in and see how much money you'll actually lose or gain. Remember you have paid of a certin portion of your G that you probably wont get back when you trade it, so all the payments you made, even if you break even on a trade in, you've lost. All those above cars will feel really cheap also vs the G. I say stick with what you got because when you look at the overall big picture, not just your monthly payment, you'll probably lose $ considering when you finish paying off a neon, it will be worth a lot less than a G.

·
what the deuce?!
170 Posts
added note... infiniti's value holds up over time, much better than your other choices.

·
Work faster!
209 Posts
My buddy just got a silver tC, and that thing is pretty nice! Accelerates better than my 1st gen, styling is nice. My only gripe about it is that even with reclining rear seats, I hit my head on the roof (5'6").

·
Golden Member
1,834 Posts
out of that list, the toyota... good resale, prolly the cheapest of the lot, should be great for parts, reliability, and economy.

its more a commuting car, that u can use, and abuse... i know exactly what you are talking about... its the only reason why u would want a toyota. some times its not worth worrying about a car that much.

also, when shopping for a car that fits the bill - dont forget insurance ! the scion will prolly be the best of the lot in that regard !

·
14,455 Posts
Well, firstly, let me just say i am really upset the car is leaving you :( Such a beatiful car!

Alright, but i do understand fully why you're doing it, so it's all good :cool: On with the list... what do you want in your next car? Performance? decent resale? Decent interior?

If you just want performance, then without a doubt, go with the neon (or maybe wrx? even a used one...)

Resale/interior, i would say go with the scion.

·
Be very afraid...
5,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I knew I shouldn't have posted that right before going into an hour meeting. Lemme see if I can catch up on the responses:

- didn't realize the SRT4 was FWD only ... screw that, I already have a car putting too much power to the front wheels (the Max) and it sucks. Also, I thought about the power-begets-trouble issue when I put it on there.

- WRX and/or STi is more than I want to pay. Doesn't do me much good to sell a 35K car I love for a high-20's car that I don't care for -- a run-of-the-mill WRX is still mid-20's without many options. And I don't consider them "high calibre" cars -- I consider them econoboxes that go fast. I'd rather take a nice car that doesn't go as fast but still handles well.

- Mazda 3 is ugly to me, but I hear that it handles pretty well so I did consider putting it on there.

- tC is the cheapest, yet probably most reliable ... leaves me more money to add options. Even the Cooper S would be kind of a stripper to stay near 20K.

- I wish I got paid for overtime. :( There was a period when I did and I took advantage of it ... in fact, that was around the time I signed up for the G.

- Sales tax and such is not bad here in VA. All the taxes and extras on my G only added up to just over $1K. It will be about $700 for this car. I plan to sell the G outright in order to get the whole $10K back. And of course the G will be worth more when it's paid off than one of these lesser cars, but I will also have paid much more for it over the loan period. I'm looking at financing less than $10K on the new car, as opposed to the $25K (about $19K remaining) on the G.

- In general, Infiniti resale isn't much better than Nissan's (which is to say, it's nothing special) but the G35's are holding up well. I simply plan to take advantage of that sooner than later.

·
Banned
3 Posts
we had a toyota, and it never gave us any problems. The new altima is just crappy, this one is falling apart as I am talking. Toyota has superior built quality and they last easy 200,000k.

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
tC or Mazda 3

Used, I'd look for a Protege5

1 - 20 of 63 Posts