The Nissan Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have the 5 color indiglo's. they worked fine for about 5 months then they just keep turning off after 10 min. i have heard that this has happened to A LOT of members. i have them wired to the dimmer switch. i heard you should re-wire them to the turn signal? which colors do i connect? or is there a correct way to wire them and to what?

from indiglo's i have a RED and WHITE wire.
from turn signal's i have GREEN, RED, and BLACK.
any help would be great

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Actually I ran into an interesting problem this weekend with my indiglo guage layovers....

I was putting the dash back in and as soon as I plugged my factory dimmer switch back in, the lights went back to normal. Unplugged it....indiglo....etc etc. So I left it unplugged.

I used a wiretap and tapped into the existing illumination circuit coming out of one of the plugs on the back of my guage pod and just grounded to one of the GND screws on the back of the pod. They work great (except for those pesky orange needles you cant see anymore).

But I just ended up leaving the factory dimmer unplugged. I never used the gd thing anyway.

·
coffee black and egg whit
1,918 Posts
yea thats correct, just wire the red wire to your illumination wire (use a test light and test the wires that are coming out of the right side of the cluster.....find the wire that only gets power when your parking lights/headlights are on.....) then again as snick said, ground it to one of the nuts on the back....

·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
are you saying connect the red wire to the back of the dimmer cluster, and ground the white wire where ever i can find a place to ground it to?

what about running it to the turn signals? i heard this works, and you still gett the orange needles to work.

·
layin rubber on philly
130 Posts
blinking indis what an idea

·
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
fellas, the indiglo's dont blink...hehe

they just get thier power from the parking lights, so when you turn on the parking lights the indi's turn on...so i heard.

i tried to wire them up agin and i still get no glow. i really didnt understand the directions, where exactly do i put the red wire, and where exactly do i put the white wire?:confused:
there were so many clusters, i did not know which one. do i go behing the gauge pod, or to the dimmer?

i have no idea!:(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Why are people wiring their indiglos to a dimmer? I have mine wired to the driving lights. NOT blinkers or dimmers. I am assuming you want them on once the headlights come on.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
ok, I just noticed you have a 98 but something like this SHOULDNT be that different.

FAQ this mods...

If you look in a Haynes manual, look for what color the "illumination" wire is. In the first gen's, if I remember correctly it's red w/yellow. There should be one of these color wires in almost every plug into the back of your guage pod. The illumination circuit only receives 12v power when you flip you parking lights/headlights on, hence powering the transformer on the indiglos. Get a box or a few 18-22 guage (red) wiretaps from lowes or home depot (even radio shack)

The way the wiretap works is it has a slit on one side that you slip over the existing wire, which would be your illumination (red/yellow) wire. then to the side there is another hole where you can slip another wire in. You'll notice there will be a metal clip that looks like an 'M' that when compressed (use channel locks...they work the best to squeeze it down into the plastic) will "tap" both wires and give the new wire connectivity through the existing one. this will be your 12v power supply to the transformer on the indiglos and will only receive power (show indiglo) when you turn your lights on.

For the ground, look on the back of the guage pod and you should be able to find at least two screws with GND next to it. This is a grounding point on the guage pod. get a small ring connector and crimp onto the end of your ground wire coming from the indiglo transformer. then remove the screw, slip it through the ring connector and screw it back in. make sure you dont touch any of the gold tracks on the back of the guage pod. This could cause other things to short or..."ground out."

Thats it...get some zip ties and tie all the cables together and put your guage pod back in.

Oh...and I almost forgot...mine came with a dimmer knob/switch for the indiglos attached to the transformer. To get the guage pod out, I had to pull the woodgrain strip out anyway so I drilled a hole big enough to slip the stem through the woodgrain strip, removed the little nut on the knob, slipped the stem through the hole, screwed the nut back on tight and slid the knob back on. easy. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.