The Nissan Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm coming here for some straight forward takes on this, as it may be a simple fix or it might be a bigger one. I haven't purchased yet but it could be a heck of a find if it ends up being a simple fix.

I have been looking around for vehicles for a bit now, and there is someone selling a 2015 Alitma 3.5 with 115k for 3500. According to the seller, it won't accelerate over 20, but will reverse and turn on fine. I could probably talk him down a bit as he has been trying to sell for 3 months

He has put on different wider rims and tires, as well as tinted the rear tail lights.

Would the 115k mileage be covered under the 10y/120k extended warranty potentially, if it is a transmission issue?

Would it be beneficial to get the VIN to see if it is covered under that?

Thank you for the help on this, I appreciate it!

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I'm coming here for some straight forward takes on this, as it may be a simple fix or it might be a bigger one. I haven't purchased yet but it could be a heck of a find if it ends up being a simple fix.

I have been looking around for vehicles for a bit now, and there is someone selling a 2015 Alitma 3.5 with 115k for 3500. According to the seller, it won't accelerate over 20, but will reverse and turn on fine. I could probably talk him down a bit as he has been trying to sell for 3 months

He has put on different wider rims and tires, as well as tinted the rear tail lights.

Would the 115k mileage be covered under the 10y/120k extended warranty potentially, if it is a transmission issue?

What is the 10 year/120K Nissan CVT Extended Warranty? How would on find out what the extension is and what vehicles are covered by the extension? Maybe we could find this information by searching the invention that Al Gore takes credit for, the World Wide Web.

Let's start with the 10 year/120K warranty extension. From the Nissan website:

Anyone that owns a Nissan equipped with CVT transmission gets a new extended powertrain warranty for the Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) to 10 years/120,000 miles (whichever occurs first) for CVT transmission repairs, replacement, and related towing on all 2003-2010 model year Nissan vehicles.

Here is a CVT lawsuit settlement you missed out on. Check the dates.

Christopher Gann, et al. v. Nissan North America, Inc. (altimacvtsettlement.com)

Ask yourself this question..."Why doesn't the seller take advantage of the Nissan warranty?"

Answer..."Because there is no warranty coverage for the 2015 Nissan CVT."

·
Registered
300 Posts
Throckmorton for the win, again. The 2013 - 2018 Altima extended warranty for the CVT is 7 years 84K miles. Do not buy this car because it will be mucho dinero to replace the CVT amigo.

Edit: Actually the extended warranty is for just the 13-16, not for the 17 or 18 Altimas.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Throckmorton for the win, again. The 2013 - 2018 Altima extended warranty for the CVT is 7 years 84K miles. Do not buy this car because it will be mucho dinero to replace the CVT amigo.
I'm hoping he buys it and starts a thread: How I replaced the defective CVT in my Altima with a 6 speed manual transmission, with pictures.

·
Registered
9 Posts
What is the 10 year/120K Nissan CVT Extended Warranty? How would on find out what the extension is and what vehicles are covered by the extension? Maybe we could find this information by searching the invention that Al Gore takes credit for, the World Wide Web.

Let's start with the 10 year/120K warranty extension. From the Nissan website:

Anyone that owns a Nissan equipped with CVT transmission gets a new extended powertrain warranty for the Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) to 10 years/120,000 miles (whichever occurs first) for CVT transmission repairs, replacement, and related towing on all 2003-2010 model year Nissan vehicles.

Here is a CVT lawsuit settlement you missed out on. Check the dates.

Christopher Gann, et al. v. Nissan North America, Inc. (altimacvtsettlement.com)

Ask yourself this question..."Why doesn't the seller take advantage of the Nissan warranty?"

Answer..."Because there is no warranty coverage for the 2015 Nissan CVT."
I beleive you are mistaken. My wife's 2016 Nissan Altima was covered under the lawsuit when her CVT failed. About a year ago.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I beleive you are mistaken. My wife's 2016 Nissan Altima was covered under the lawsuit when her CVT failed. About a year ago.
If your wife's 2016 was repaired by the stealership when it had over 84K miles on it that would have been beyond the extended warranty mileage allowance.
It's possible that Nissan agreed to repair it as a good will gesture because it failed very close to the maximum allowed odometer reading. That is not the same as warranty coverage.

The OP questioned if the warranty went to 120K miles / 10 years for the 13 -16 Altimas. It most certainly does not have that. It's only 84K miles / 7 years at the moment.

What is the reason for this Warranty Extension?
In an effort to ensure customer satisfaction and demonstrate our confidence in continuously variable transmissions (CVTs), and to address customer concerns including those expressed by customers in the class actions, Nissan will extend the warranty coverage on the CVT assembly including: internal CVT components, gaskets, and seals, CVT control valve body, torque converter, cooler kit (if applicable) and reprogram of the Transmission Control Module (TCM), on the effected vehicles from its original duration of 60 months/60,000 miles to 84 months/84,000 miles (whichever occurs first).

Rectangle Font Electric blue Circle Brand

Believe whatever you want pvohnoutka, but what you believe is definitely incorrect.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If your wife's 2016 was repaired by the stealership when it had over 84K miles on it that would have been beyond the extended warranty mileage allowance.
It's possible that Nissan agreed to repair it as a good will gesture because it failed very close to the maximum allowed odometer reading. That is not the same as warranty coverage.

The OP questioned if the warranty went to 120K miles / 10 years for the 13 -16 Altimas. It most certainly does not have that. It's only 84K miles / 7 years at the moment.

What is the reason for this Warranty Extension?
In an effort to ensure customer satisfaction and demonstrate our confidence in continuously variable transmissions (CVTs), and to address customer concerns including those expressed by customers in the class actions, Nissan will extend the warranty coverage on the CVT assembly including: internal CVT components, gaskets, and seals, CVT control valve body, torque converter, cooler kit (if applicable) and reprogram of the Transmission Control Module (TCM), on the effected vehicles from its original duration of 60 months/60,000 miles to 84 months/84,000 miles (whichever occurs first).

View attachment 102739

Believe whatever you want pvohnoutka, but what you believe is definitely incorrect.
Well Junior. You got me on that one. My wife's car had 65k with a salvage title and they still paid. It took about 4 months to get reimbursed, but it was worth the wait. If you know what to say and how to say it you can get just about anything.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Do not buy this vehicle. I have a 2013 Altima. Was able to get a goodwill offer and replaced transmission. I am currently trying to recoup my out of pocket expenses. Do yourself a favor and steer clear of this vehicle.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
The problem is the replacements are used transmissions and typically do not last as long as the originals. And Nissan supposedly replacing one in a salvage car, that one goes against every warranty rule I've ever heard, but of course they probably did not know that at the time. All warranty is voided on salvage vehicles on every brand I know of.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts