The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
N20 Whore
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, i currently have a 2.25" crush bent exhaust w/stillen header, catco universal cat, 21" resonator, and magnaflow mufler. It's just too drowny at cruising speeds, i'm llokin to quiet it down.

I have a friends 04 stock WRX muffler, that i'm thinkin of getting put on w/2.25" mandrel bent piping. I will pe keeping the cat and resonator on as well. Or should i just get another resonator put in? Would WRX muffler hurt performance, prolly not?

Thoughts/Opinions?

·
Shadetree Mechanic
6,095 Posts
Might get a little lower end torque back. It will quieten things down a good bit. You could always look at a Maxima muffler but if you already have the wrx muff and it looks good why not.

·
N20 Whore
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, the magnaflow exhaust i have now sounds great WOT, but when i'm just cruisin around or drivin to work it gets annoying.

It should look real nice, smaller dual tips, alot more subtle look than my current muffler.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Which magnaflow do you have Bowzer?? I'd been wracking my brain for the last few months debating between another Max muffler or Magnaflow (14829)...Everyone said it was probably the quietest aftermarket one around and I can get it installed for $180 in Memphis(they stock them) but if you're saying yours is annoying around town (is it a drone around 2-3k??) then I'm going to go back to another Max muffler since my current one is rattling like crazy....

And BTW, I'd try the WRX muffler, it's has to have a similar design to the Max since it's on a turbo application-it sure couldn't hurt...

Jeremy

·
N20 Whore
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's the 14581, i got it about 2yrs ago before every altima it seems like had one. Like you said, it gets drowning around 2k-3k at highway speeds around 70. It's not bad all the time, but i think the stillen header has a big part in the noise factor as well. I'm just looking for something more quiet and subtle.

·
I AM LEGEND
10,874 Posts
Its the header causing the rise in exhaust note...I love my growl with Magnaflow 14814.Only time it gets "drowny" is WOT.Other than that its fine.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
I want a 350Z/G35C in a can-as in a muffler that makes my Alty sound similar.....they sound soooooo good!! I had my ported system cranked up while at work the other day and ended up behind some baby boomer in a brand new red G35C. He actually got on it when the light turned and it sounded unbelievable....

Jeremy

·
Registered
318 Posts
if i remember right the reson it makes that sound is cuz of lines cut on the inside of the tip

·
Registered
989 Posts
lol you need to do alot of engine work to get a KA to sound like a VQ from those cars.... :)

·
Import Tech.
4,670 Posts
The WRX Muffler will be louder than you expect , I put one on a friends Audi and it was pretty loud , I had plans on one for the Altima, but the tips sit way to low , looked silly .....

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Yeah, I realize making a KA sound like a G35C VQ requires a VQ-and I WISH getting that sound only required cutting some lines on the tip or even buying those tips....:( :)

Oh, and what's wrong Shawn, gettin' too old for those oversized mufflers??:D Personally, over the last year or two, I've come to prefer quiet power, even if I must compromise a few hp to have it.

Now I'm off to get some Geritol and a new hearing aid....

Jeremy

·
N20 Whore
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
SHAWN:

I had thought about that as well, but it looks like on a 2nd gen there is a little more room than on a 1st gen under there. I think as long as the tips sit in the current opening nicely i shouldn't have a problem w/this. I've also looked at removing some of the metal guards above it to free up some more room.

·
Breu Meister
6,646 Posts
thats a huge resonator? who else runs a resonator that big? it is definitely your stillen header making that higher exhaust note...especially since you say it is when you are at highway speeds

·
Import Tech.
4,670 Posts
niceguy said:

Oh, and what's wrong Shawn, gettin' too old for those oversized mufflers??:D

Jeremy
Hmm, I dont think you can get much bigger than the Greddy thats hanging out the back of my car now .... what I ment is the tips sit low on the muffler, so even with the muffler sitting against the botom of the car there is a 5" gap before the tips start , looked way strange .... it tucks way under on the WRX's ....

·
Rockin the Kasbah
4,106 Posts
Get the Maxima muffler....trust me!

I too was gonna go magnaflow, but I'm trying to keep the stockish look (granted it's dropped) but with the spec V 17's it still has a factory sporty look....

Tha 02 SE Maxy muffler seemed like the obvious choice and it works great! Only time you hear it is at high RPMS and even then it's a lil quiet, but enough to know whats up

In all reality now tho, i'd look into a Remus style exhaust....we just put a Remus on my buddies GTI (granted its' got the v6 to back it) but it's the ultimate muffler...don't even hear it under 3500 rpms, but on the highway it makes the coolest sound ever...

·
N20 Whore
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hopefully i will be able to get this installed in a week or so, like shawn is saying, the only thing i'm weary of is the top clearance of the muffler under the bumper.

·
01 SE 5mt
2,562 Posts
you will never sound or perform like the wrx just by adding a wrx muffler

they are a box 4 motor with a very distinct sound to it

1 - 20 of 27 Posts