The Nissan Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

The dealership recommended I get the throttle body cleaned, and I thought they were charging a lot for a service that might be pretty simple until...

I can't seem to locate the throttle body.
Is this difficult to locate in our engine bay?

Also, is our throttle body electronic? Is it better to leave it to a mechanic to clean?

Thanks!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi,

The dealership recommended I get the throttle body cleaned, and I thought they were charging a lot for a service that might be pretty simple until...

I can't seem to locate the throttle body.
Is this difficult to locate in our engine bay?

Also, is our throttle body electronic? Is it better to leave it to a mechanic to clean?

Thanks!
Why did they recommend this? The throttles on Nissans are very touchy and can be easily damaged when being cleaned. As a former nissan tech: the only reason the throttle should be cleaned is if its visibly dirty with more than a coating of oil, and I can promise you they did not look at the throttle during an normal service.

The throttle is located here:

The throttles on all new vehicles are electronic, cable throttles are a thing of the past.

DO NOT attempt to clean it yourself. Moving the throttle plate can result in severe damage to the unit as a whole if not done properly.

To prevent oil and carbon build up on the throttle and intake valves you should install an oil catch can such as this one: (the image is of a juke but it fits the sentra turbo in the exact same spot. FastReligion Hidden Oil Catch Can (thefastreligion.com)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went in for regular oil and tire rotation and they came back saying I should get my throttle body cleaned.
I had a feeling they were pushing this service on me to get $, so I declined and decided to look into it myself.

Appreciate your response.

How often should the throttle body be cleaned, if ever?
My idle and acceleration are fine, so I don't think it needs any cleaning.

Also, because the SR Turbo is direct injected, is it ok to use Seafoam to clean the intake valves?
If so, where do you suggest it be sprayed into?

Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
252 Posts
I went in for regular oil and tire rotation and they came back saying I should get my throttle body cleaned.
I had a feeling they were pushing this service on me to get $, so I declined and decided to look into it myself.

Also, because the SR Turbo is direct injected, is it ok to use Seafoam to clean the intake valves?

Thanks a bunch!
If your car is running good, there is no need to do any type of throttle body cleaning or using Seafoam. I'll backup FastReligion's post about cleaning a throttle body. You may be getting paranoid about excessive PM; just perform the usual PM as stated in your owner's manual. Just drive your car and stay happy.

·
Registered
30 Posts

Thanks a bunch!
Really the throttle never needs to be cleaned unless it is causing a drive-ability issue.
Seafoam works fine for cleaning the valves at lower miles, but make sure after doing intake seafoam treatments you change the oil. A lot of the chemicals in the seafoam can end up blowing by the rings and getting into the oil.

You do not spray seafoam when doing induction cleaning, you let it get sucked in. Which is where it gets tricky on newer cars. You really only have one option and that would be the brake booster line. Anywhere else and you risk getting the seafoam on the MAP sensor which will cause all sorts of issues.

In reality: the best way to clean the valves is walnut blasting them. But this requires specialty tools and removing the intake manifold.

The best practice is to prevent the need for cleaning the valves. I cannot stress this enough: The MR16DDT NEEDS (a) catch can(s). As I linked to before I sell a can that takes care of the whole pcv system, but other brands work too. I have seen too many Jukes and Sentra Turbos come in with CHUNKS of build up on the valves, oil covered MAP sensors, and gummed up intercoolers. All of those things can be mitigated with a catch can system to prevent oil from getting into the intake tract.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tips.
What kind of maintenance/upkeep do the catch cans require?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts