The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Rockin the Kasbah
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it true that the stock throttle body off of a automatic first gen altima is 60 mm, compared to the 55 mm of the manual???

If this is true, could i just bolt it on (after matching the bore to the intake opening)???

Also: Would takign one from a Maxima bolt on (and or be better??)

Sorry if it's a newby question, I'm still kinda new to the Nissan waters!

·
Hello my name is Distance
6,028 Posts
yes you can just bolt it on. But i dont think the maxima one would fit, diferent engine.

·
Rockin the Kasbah
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2nd q: would it be worth my time to change the TB? Would the gain's be worthwhile?

Would any other motor (besides the Ka24de) have a TB that would be bigger and or fit?

·
Erect Member
18,130 Posts
ok, the maxima one wont fit, its a different style, has two ports to it. the one from the autotragic will bolt right on. match porting is not necessary, the throttle body side of the intake manifold is the same size as the bigger throttle body, believe me, i checked. i did mine cuz i had a couple rough spots that needed attention. i noticed instantly better throttle response and noise. its slightly louder than the 55. also, i had a flat spot from the wai i used to have and the bigger throttle body cured it. for the price i paid, 50 bucks, why not? it will ultimately add to your performance as a whole when you decide to go with i/h/e. go for it, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

·
Rockin the Kasbah
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks alot for your help you guys!

Another q: how long would you estimate this to take? (for a mechanically inclined person) it looks like it would only involve removing some screws, and a plug...(I've not really looked to much into it, we've busy putting a swapping a 351 into a truck that came with a 302)

·
Erect Member
18,130 Posts
ill assume you are as inclined as i am. with a bolt or plug ready to catch the coolant from the line youll have to disconnect, and a small hand to reconnect one of the other lines: 45 minutes, tops. took me about that long.

·
Rockin the Kasbah
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm inclined 'dumb'estically as some of my friends say (domestically)

Done my fair share of American v8 build ups, time to take on a new venture for fun!

·
Erect Member
18,130 Posts
i hear ya! i shoved a 375/350 into my s15 jimmy about 5 years or so ago and i miss doing that shit sometimes. this is a nice change.

·
Official Troll
7,780 Posts
Well, rpmk104 found out the hard way that the stock throttle body on his 5-speed '01 was already 60mm.

·
22,052 Posts
Make sure you get the same, or close to the same, year TB. There have been a few peopel that encountered fitment issues. I swapped a 94 auto TB onto my 94 5 speed with no issues, but AltimaVixen bought one from me of a 95 or 96 and it didn't fit on her car.

So try and get the same year. I think the difference applies to OBDI and OBDII cars. So as long as you stay with the same OBD, you should be OK.

·
Girl-Moderator
4,061 Posts

·
Erect Member
18,130 Posts
not sure erynn... im curious to know that too though... ANOTHER sidenote. make sure you retain YOUR tps cuz you will have to swap it as well.

·
Erect Member
18,130 Posts
you see? i FORGOT about hers being an auto at one time... when did they just go to the 60 for all of them?

·
Shadetree Mechanic
6,095 Posts
Just to give the auto that extra little throttle response. Not really a noticeable difference in my opinion.

·
Rockin the Kasbah
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well this would be the first 'mod' (if you can call it that) I've done to my car. It's winter and I've been busy with other stuff (including working on our snow demon Ford Tempo, and snow demon II Suby Justy)

I was planning the TB upgrade
possibly a pully switch

I still dotn' see the price per hp gain on the headers yet. The headers/no headers debate is as old as headers are. Some people swear by manifolds, some don't. For the price you can pay for headers, for the limited amount of HP it's not worth it sometimes.

I can beat civics as it is, i just wanna laugh even more now when these ricers they have been owned by not only anotehr car, but a small sedan at that!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts