The Nissan Club banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Throttle linkage problem - CHECK YOURS!!

I've run into a problem over the past two weeks with the throttle linkage. On each occasion, I've been accelerating and the pedal suddely drops to the floor and the engine drops to idle. The culprit is the 'Q-Tip' looking linkage that connects the accelerator cable to the FI. It pops right back on, but it is beginning to occur more frequently. It looks like it is a simple and cheap fix, but I just want to make sure there aren't any retaining clips or such that may have fallen out, so the replacement doesn't do the same.

Any info, as always, is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I can't help you, but I can say that you're not the only one experiencing this. You might wanna call Nissan Cust Serv at the headquarters and let them know what's happening.
Jay

·
430 Posts
Mine did the same thing...All I did was put it back in place and tighten the nut so that it was more taught where it was held in place. Know what I mean? I would pop out of place when I'd shift REALLY hard, but its been cool now for about 6 months.

Out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Allright - here is what I found on my first generation Altima:

At the end of your throttle cable, there is a 5" thin metal bar with a hard plastic ball socket connector on each end. One ball connects to the throttle cable mechanism, one connects to the injector system. I removed mine for inspection last night, and there were stress cracks on each of the ball sockets which caused the bar to fall off of the throttle mechanism three times in the past week. I filled that ball with gasket sealer and jammed it on the throttle mechanism so it would work until I get a replacement today.

When the linkage pops off, the engine immediately drops to idle speed and loses power. It happened twice around town, and once as I was jumping on the highway. It would be a nasty thing if it happened with an 18-wheeler behind you.

It might be worthwhile to check the piece out, because with the stress cracks being identical one each end of the linkage, it is definitely an engineering issue. Buy a cheap replacement, throw it in, and check it once in a while.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.