The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok me and my friend were racing the other night and the cops busted us, we both got tickets for: speed contest, tinted windows, blue lights, and intake. The intake and blue lights are both correctable but does this mean we can put our stock intake setups back on and get it signed off? Also we live in cali so if anyone knows what kind of fines we are looking at with all this stuff.

·
team FSP drifting
1,693 Posts
some pretty hefty ones i would say...engaging in a speed challenge can be serious...sometimes 2 points on your record...definately go to court on this one...plead with the judge to reduce it..or come up with a good excuse...but it better be air tight because the judge will stick it to you if you are lying...plus there is the off chance the cop wont show...in which case you get off anyway...=)...as for the intake and the blue lights....just make them stock again and get it signed off at any highway partol office...then send it in with a 10$ filing fee...pretty easy...tinted windows is correctable too...
anyway good luck....need any advice just ask...

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks a lot man, on my ticket my windows are not correctable, and lately people that have been getting tickets for windows have told me that the just get a fine so im not too sure. Do you think if the cops dont show up we can get off with a different story because on our tickets it only says we were going 40, and 45. plus it was on a back road so it wasnt even speeding? I dont know im just trying to think of something to not get in as much trouble.

·
team FSP drifting
1,693 Posts
MisfitFlesh said:
thanks a lot man, on my ticket my windows are not correctable, and lately people that have been getting tickets for windows have told me that the just get a fine so im not too sure. Do you think if the cops dont show up we can get off with a different story because on our tickets it only says we were going 40, and 45. plus it was on a back road so it wasnt even speeding? I dont know im just trying to think of something to not get in as much trouble.
all the tinted window tickets i've gotten (2) have been correctable...but then again a tinting place will charge 50$ to take it off...so it may be worth it just to pay the fine...

as for the cop not showing...if he doesn't show the case is dismissed...no questions asked...you don't even have to come up with a story...but they usually show as they get overtime for coming to court so it makes sense to them to show up...what was the posted speed limit on the road?...does it say on the ticket you were racing?...can the cop proove you were racind and not just happening to both be driving at an excessive rate of speed?...plus 40 and 45 really isn't that fast...i think you might be able to beat this one...did the cop watch you rev your engines and launch?...anyway i might be able to help you...if you care to respond to the Q's i'll see what i can do...oh yeah i work in a Law Office as a paralegal in case you're wondering why i know some of this stuff...

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No the cop didnt see us launch or take off, and im pretty sure the speed limit on roads without them posted is what? 40-45? Plus i was thinking we could just say that he was trying to pass or something because its allowed right there. My ticket says speed contest thats that pretty much racing right? Also he saw a few other cars that were sitting were the starting area was but they all took off. Well if you can help me out with anything it would be appreciated a lot.

·
team FSP drifting
1,693 Posts
if there was no posted speed limit then the "Basic Speed Law" applies which states: "A vehicle may not travel faster then the conditions of the road, the weather, or the vehicle itself allow safely"...somethin like that...so you could easily argue, assuming the weather was nice, the road was clear, and your cars are in good working condition, that 45MPH is not an unsafe speed...now he didn't see you take off...so how does he know your were racing?...he doesn't...he assumes you were cause you were side by side right?...i think the idea that one of you was tryin to pass is a good one...also it is very important that you DON'T go to court together...is there any proof that you two know eachother??...make sure there isn't...it makes it alot more believable if you claim to have no idea who this guy was who was trying to pass you...as soon as they know you're friends...they'll stick it to you...if your ticket says "speed contest" you'll have to prove otherwise...i would recommend going to the local Law Library and looking up the exact code you were sited for in the california book of vehicle codes...it's really easy to find...knowing the wording of the citation may give you ideas on how to beat it...that's a start for you..lemme know if you need anything else...

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks a lot for the info, but i think my friends court date and time is the same as mine? i dont know if that will make a difference

·
Incognito
6,134 Posts
rengaging in a contest of speed does not necessarily mean that you have to be speeding. the cop just has to prove that you two were "racing" in other words, you have to prove that someone was passing you, and you just happened to speed up. becareful when you go to district courts, those cops see those justices all the time, they are on a personal basis. and yes, you will have to prove your innocence, not the other way around. Cali is huge on racing on the city streets, so dont expect any luck. Here in Pa, "speed contest" results in a 6 month suspension of your license and a $300+ fine, an I'm sure cali will be similar. Trust me, I know this because I used to work for a police department.

·
many words, few of wisdom
1,214 Posts
how did they bust you on the intake? i thought intakes were legal and stuff. but my old swim coach's son got caught racing once was like $1000+ ticket, he got his car impounded for 30 days and suspended for like 6 months.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
they just made me pop the hood and he said because it didnt have an epa sticker on it that it wasnt legal. And if it is legal i have to go to the company and make them prove it is or something like that?

·
many words, few of wisdom
1,214 Posts
that is such crap. just get in touch with the company that your intake and ask for a letter with a watermark on it. they got my friend on his exahust on his integra and he had a watermark on his letter. you have to either switch it back or pay but don't do it without a fight. i remember seeing a sticker from my K&N say that it is legal

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok i dont even rememeber where i got my intake from, and im not even too sure what brand it is? i think ractive or something like that? But can i just take it off to get it corrected?

·
team FSP drifting
1,693 Posts
just save yourself the hassel and put your stock one back on...get it signed off and pay 10$...yeah yeah i know.."it's the principle"...well trust me the principle aint worth the time and effort...the time it would take to do all that and then go to court to fight it (as they will most likely only hear one plea of "not guilty" per sitation at a time) is not worth the 10$ and the 30 min it takes to switch your intake...
as for the rest...do what i suggested..the only way to beat this kind of thing is to arm yourself with the knowledge on how the law works and was written...i've gotten upwards of 10 speeding tickets since i've had my license (i'm only 23) and i have 0, yes 0, points on my record...not that i'm proud of the speeding and some of them i got erased with traffic school...but i do know the ins and outs of how to get out of them...and "cthunder" is right...contrary to the law, you will have to prove your innocence...and the cop and judge really don't care nor do they want you to get out of it...their jobs are to make money for the county...so do your research, pull out your best shirt and tie, stay calm, and try to out-wit the cop...and you get to represent yourself...which means you get to cross examine the issuing police officer...you can ask him anything that may help your case...while leaving out the things that could hurt it...be confident and stick to your guns...know that you are right...just make sure your story is tight and you get it right the first time...you def don't get second chances...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts