The Nissan Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Beware The Big Fish
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone tell me what does advancing the timing do for the car,where do you get it done,and how much does it cost. thanks for your info...

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
mrbigfish said:
can anyone tell me what does advancing the timing do for the car,where do you get it done,and how much does it cost. thanks for your info...
Advancing Ignition Timing

Advancing the ignition timing is an inexpensive (free) modification that can make a noticeable difference in throttle response and through the entire powerband with the largest gains in the midrange, around 5500 rpm. Fuel economy is also improved if your driving habits remain the same with the additional power. Adjusting the timing can produce gains of up to 5 hp at the wheels on a GA16 for instance. The amount of gain, you can expect depends on where the timing is currently set now. If it is too low you will feel a larger SOTP difference. Timing advance helps produce more power by igniting the sparks sooner, providing more time for the fuel/air mixture to burn completely, increasing cylinder pressure, thus providing more power. Remember that our engines are sensitive to timing advance and can gain quite a bit of power by adjusting the timing over other, more performance oriented engines, like some Honda engines.

This infomation was taken from Nissan Performance Mag.com. I could not link it for some reason.

·
From D Land of Tendulkar
521 Posts
all i can say is damn and well said.

·
614 Posts
mrbigfish said:
As far as where u can get it done and how..Our Altimas have to have the computer Re-Flashed...since the computer controls the spark advance on our cars...To my knowledge only the Nissan dealer has the proper scan tool that can do this. Good luck gettin a dealer to advance ur timing, since most will not.
Or if chips come out soon, they also will advance ur timing.

·
Beware The Big Fish
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DAMN JERRYJ thats great info now im really interested in getting this done. does anyone know of a place in San Diego that will do this? thanks JERRYJ...

·
iLoveUman
1,116 Posts
i called around and called around, and then called around some more. Finally met a tech that was willing to do it, although I had to keep it hush hush and he wrote it up as "electrical problem." Cost me $40

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
To mrbigfish;

I wrote this last month for the same question. I should add that advancing the timing increases throttle response throughout the rev band, making the engine have a more "torquey" feel.

Hope it helps.

------------------------------------------------------------

Ignition timing is the process whereby a voltage is delivered to a spark plug at some predetermined time (in crankshaft degrees) to ignite the fuel/air mix within a cylinder, and begin the burn.

If the mix were to be ignited when the piston reaches the top of its compression stroke (know as Top Dead Center or TDC or zero degrees), a lot of the mix would not complete its burn before the exhaust valve(s) opened to purge the engine and allow the 4-stroke process to begin all over again.

For this reason, its is much more desirable to deliver a voltage to the spark plug BEFORE the piston reaches the top of its stroke (Before Top Dead Center or BTDC or X number of degrees BTDC). This will start the burn while the piston is still compressing the mixture which also results in a multiple compression effect: (1) from mechanical compression (the piston), and (2) from the rapidly expanding and burning gases. Consequently, more of the fuel/air mix will be burned, resulting in more power, better economy, and fewer emissions.

There is a trade-off here. If the spark occurs too soon (too many degrees BTDC), pre-ignition (also called ping) will occur, and in the worse case, detonation which is an explosion instead of a controlled burn in your cylinders... VERY bad for your engine.

Most engine manufacturers call for the timing to be set between 8 and 14 degrees BTDC (obviously varies from company to company). When you advance the time further than the OEM setting, you can generally expect better performance. As long as you don't get carried away, the cost will only be the fact that you will absolutely need to always use high-octane fuel.

·
Beware The Big Fish
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
"tweekers" when you had yours done did you have to start putting higher octane gas in your car like "pvick" states in his write up, even though the 2.5 only uses the regular unleaded gas... by the way fellas thanks for all this great information !

·
Want Fiberglass?
199 Posts
Can someone near Chicago PLEASE do this to my car!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't find any dealer willing to do this!

·
TALL member
11,882 Posts
mrbigfish said:
"tweekers" when you had yours done did you have to start putting higher octane gas in your car like "pvick" states in his write up, even though the 2.5 only uses the regular unleaded gas... by the way fellas thanks for all this great information !
you don't HAVE to but if you don't, then you are not taking the full advantage of getting the timing advanced. Start by putting some 91 in and see the power difference. Then put 89 and it will probably be the same. But don't bother with 87 cuz you won't feel THAT much difference I don't think. I know gas prices are high as f*ck right now so i went down to 89 octane ($2.09/gallon) and it feels just as powerful as the 91 octane.

·
Banned
194 Posts
well, if your timing is advanced then that means the spark comes earlier and if you go lower octane thats a no no cuz 91 octane burns slower and gives enough time for the piston to come up according to the advance. the 87 burns hella lot faster and if it burns faster then the piston has not come up fully yet and it forces the piston when it is not ready. talk about messed up pistons soon. we did a test in a large glass tube and burned both 87 and 91 and there is a big diff so tweek and everyone who has a timing advance when u did the advance you should have knnown u had to put high octane and if you done there are consequences just awtch out but 89 should be O.K. just some advice. im taking an auto class and we are learning this stuff

·
TALL member
11,882 Posts
i miss my 1 yr. of intro auto and 2 years of ROP auto. That class was so laid back. We had a cool teacher and we still learned a lot.

We were his favorite class of all his almost 40 years of teaching. He went to our graduation and even decided that since we are graduating, he would retire, and he did. It was cool cuz he gave me a special auto award and allowed me to work on the teacher's cars, which was a big honor. I miss high school.:(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts