The Nissan Club banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I have a 1995 Nissan Altima. When I purchased the car the gentleman told me to remember to have my timing belt replaced at 90,000 miles. The automotive repair shop is telling me that the car has a timing chain. Does anyone know if the 95 Altima has a belt or chain?

Thanks!

·
H.N.I.C.
2,666 Posts
welcome to the sight...

around 95-110k miles u will start to hear this *clink clink clink* noise from the pulley area...
that is the timing chain...
your car won't be broke, every KA24DE does it...
just deal wit it, cause it'll cost the price of a new engine...
now if the sound get louder n worse n schreechy, that is your A/C pulley most likely...
happened to me..
cost like $200 to get fixed...

·
Resistance is futile
1,713 Posts
Is "PC" for "Personal Computer" or "Politically Correct"?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Since you guys mention about timing chain, perhaps can assist to clear my doubts. My 96 ALty (A) SR20DE has some 'diesel engine' type of noise during first start-up of the day or when then engine is not hot. THe noise will only be there for about 3-5 seconds and then it's gone. THe mechanics told me it is because of the timing chain tension. Either to high or low....HELP

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
tengster said:
Since you guys mention about timing chain, perhaps can assist to clear my doubts. My 96 ALty (A) SR20DE has some 'diesel engine' type of noise during first start-up of the day or when then engine is not hot. THe noise will only be there for about 3-5 seconds and then it's gone. THe mechanics told me it is because of the timing chain tension. Either to high or low....HELP
I think that's wrong. To me it sounds like an ignition problem, or perhaps a flaky injector.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Kenshi: What make you think it's a flaky injector. WHen the engine is warm and off, then I try to start it up, the noise won't appear. It happen only during cold start-up.

Cold = ambient temperature.....not winter. Coz Malaysia weatheris about 30C+- all year long.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
tengster said:
Kenshi: What make you think it's a flaky injector.
I said it might be a flaky injector. . The reason I thought of the injector is that it sounds like all cylinders aren't firing on a cold start and a bad injector is one reason that would happen, however I would look at the ignition system first.

Is your engine in good repair, up to date on scheduled maintenance?

·
Resistance is futile
1,713 Posts
So is this a clatter sound, like something beating on the inside of the valve cover?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts