1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Stock for now
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up everyone!
So when I purchased this car for my Son it had a knock upon startup
I've always assumed it could be bearings or the timing chain tensioner most likely
One day it died on my Son & now it's only firing on 3 cylinders, cylinder 4 doesn't fire
I've replaced plugs, coils, injectors cam & crank sensors & intake manifold gasket
I brought a used ecm that did nothing & couldn't even be flashed I was told
I have a new timing chain kit as well as rod & main bearings which I don't think is the issue but the price wasn't too bad so I bit the bullet
I forget the codes that came up bc it's been a few months but they all revolved around the work I did
I'll get her back this weekend to mess with it once again but I really think my chain jumped or so
Any input would be greatly appreciated & if there are any Nissan Tech's in South Jersey please hit me up lol
Car only has 83,000 miles
2004 Nissan Sentra 2.5S
Thanks All

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Chain jumped affects ALL cylinders, cannot just one alone. Impossible. Run a compression test on the cylinder not firing, likely something broke there.

·
Registered
Stock for now
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok so I just did the compression test & the numbers were all low but all around the same
110-110-105-110
I did the noid test but only on cylinders 1 & 4
1 lit up & 4 did not
Also plug 4 is clean while the other 3 show carbon so where do I go next lol
I'm glad this was super easy these two jobs

·
Registered
Stock for now
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If there is any variable cam timing on the engine you should have a code of some sort.
I haven't done anything yet amc49, I may have found a Nissan Master Mechanic so since I'm back from vaca I'll holla at him about getting this job done
Last code I got was cylinder 4 misfire & I'll check it again this wee
Thanks amc49

·
Registered
Stock for now
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So since having this car at that shop since 5/6, I finally got a call back that it is the timing chain tensioner that went bad (duh) & also my #4 injector is not firing lol
He basically had to repeat to me a few months later what I initially told him?
If I have to get an ECU flashed for my ride that's cool so long as my timing has been replaced?
Who knows, maybe getting it back in timing will also get the ECU to recognize everything is synched correctly
I've come to the realization that absolutely no one wants to work on the 2.5 Nissan motors & always come up with excuses as to why it's something else
Gee Wiz!?!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts