The Nissan Club banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this site and my 95 Altima broke down. My fiancee was driving and said it stopped and she started it again and then it stopped, then it would turn over but not catch. I had one mechanic look at it and he thinks the timing jumped and bent the valves. He could not touch it and said to bring it to the Nissan dealer. I dropped it off at another mechanic. The car has over 130K. Has anyone experienced this? I don't know anything about valves or how much they cost. No one can tell me at this point.

·
donor cycle
8,714 Posts
well, if your engine jumped time and bent the valves you would have no compression at all, it would just sound like a start spinning not hooked up to anything...

I hate to tell you this, but you can replace that whole engine for cheaper than having the work done that you need. You can pick up a low mileage altima motor from 500 dollars. I picked up a motor w/ 27k on it for 550. The motors are cheaper than the trannies!!

·
donor cycle
8,714 Posts
Peterson said:
It's the tranny pans that really start to add up!
I don't appreciate you beating me to the post! makes me look like a copycat! maybe i shall edit yours to say something else muhahaha

·
donor cycle
8,714 Posts
oh shit you moderate this forum too!! :eek: I was just kidding hehe

·
Jr. Lord Of Search
1,662 Posts
how much would it cost to swap a new motor in? my motor is just being a POS right now and instead of scrapping the car how much is it for a motor?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I would take it somewhere else. There are so many things that could cause a car to stall and not start again. Could be the mechanic couldn't figure out the problem, made one up and sent you to the dealer

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've heard the timing chains can jump, but have never heard from anyone that it actually happened. If you bent a valve or a bunch of valves because the chain jumped, you should hear some definite ticks from the head area - like a hammer on metal. If you don't hear this, then I doubt you bent any valves. Do a compression check.

·
Chawk
161 Posts
Yeah get another opinion. I know of 2 sites that sell used engines and other stuff. Partsjobber.com they have a thirty day guaruntee that the part is in working order. a lot of people get scrued through Ebay. Also usedcarpartsdepot.com (long name) is similar. The price for a Ka engine with 30 day money back guaruntee is less than 400.00 bucks. and that includes shipping to your house.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.