The Nissan Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back I noticed noise coming from my engine when the car was idle. It sounded like a "marble in a can" like Peterson said. Once I was driving the car the sound was not there anymore and when I hit the brakes and the car was idle again the sound came back.

Peterson said it was the timing chain and the upper guide making the noise. I purchased the valve cover gaskets and decided to remove the upper timing chain guide.

It was very easy. I just drove the car for about 5 miles came back to the house and checked the car for oil leaks and of course the engine noise. To my surprise the "marble in a can" noise is gone, and the engine sounds smooth and no oil leaks.

I was surprised because Peterson said that at the most just expect the noise to go down a little bit but not completely. Pleasant surprise !!!!!

Thanks to Peterson for his help

:D

·
I am the universe.
1,520 Posts
hey ank, was that stuff hard to do? I'll need to do that some time soon myself...

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was easy.

Just remove the screws from the valve cover, remove the spark plug wires and throtle cable as well as a hose that is connected on the right side of the valve cover.

Pull the valve cover up and remove all of the old gaskets.

Install the news gaskets.

On the left side of the engine (passenger side) you will notice the timing chain and the upper guide just on top of the chain. On the cylinder head there are 2 bolts holding the upper chain guide, just remove them and take the guide out.

Put some RTV gasket sealant on the the gasket half circles (not too much !!)

With a clean rag clean the edges of the upper cylinder head. Make sure no dirt gets into it.

Put the valve cover back in and put the screws on. Since I didn't have a torque tool I just tighten the screws by hand. Using only one hand. Do not over tighten the screw or you will strip it.

There is a sequence you have to follow to tighten each screw. The center screws go first and then work out toward each end.

Put the throttle cable back in place as well as the hose and the spark plug cables.

Turn the engine on and check for leaks (Before you take it out for a test drive).

Drive it for a while and check for the engine noise. I stopped at a supermarket parking lot and with the engine running opened the hood and checked. No noise and no leaks.

Hope this helps

:p

·
I sleep with my car
236 Posts
so by removing this peice i have NO risk of having the chain slip a notch and **** up my timing?

or have it completly fall off?

·
I Don't Drive An Altima
1,621 Posts
Wish I could say the same..... I removed my uper timing chain guide too. It is a little bit quieter, but not that much, would have been a waste of time if my valve cover gasget wasnt leaking.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I think Peterson already removed the guide from his vehicle and it was 90,000 miles ago with no problem.

I don't think there is a risk but if there is I felt comfortable taking the piece off the car and you should feel comfortable doing it or not do it at all.

·
25,204 Posts
Yeah, I feel comfortable saying you'll be fine without that guide....Mine's been off for a while now, and Nissan did stop putting it on.

Mine had grooves in it too, but there is still some noise. I'm gonna replace the upper tensioner when I pull the head off the engine, but that's not gonna be for at least a few months.

·
Nissan God
14,424 Posts
Peterson said:
Yeah, I feel comfortable saying you'll be fine without that guide....Mine's been off for a while now, and Nissan did stop putting it on.

Mine had grooves in it too, but there is still some noise. I'm gonna replace the upper tensioner when I pull the head off the engine, but that's not gonna be for at least a few months.
so does mine not have one?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.