The Nissan Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
phi phi Kappa Alpha
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my timing chaing was making a TON of noise. It sounded like I had 4 or 5 half dollars rolling around in the head. So I pop the valve cover off to take off the top guide, and the guide was just sitting on the chain. It had completely broken off where it attaches to the head and was sitting on the chain. It made it taking it out easier. So for those of you who drive your car hard and are approaching 100k for mileage, go take your top guide off...I will have pics later tonight.

·
I keep em comin back.....
3,205 Posts
Take pics bro please!!!! Others want to see what exactly it is that you are doing. This is a common problem with the KA.

·
phi phi Kappa Alpha
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well I went in just to take out the top guide...real easy remove valve cover, remove 2 bolts holding in top guide, remove guide, replace bolts.....but mine was sheared off where it mounts. It was just sitting on top of my chain not attached anymore.

·
Rockin the Kasbah
4,106 Posts
I too took my top guide out...then I proceeded to take the side one out too....silence!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
AceAltima said:
I too took my top guide out...then I proceeded to take the side one out too....silence!!
AceAltima:

how bad were those guides? about to break apart or fall off??? was the noise very loud before you removed?

I removed only my top guide, noise is still there... planning to remove the side guide soon.

·
Breu Meister
6,646 Posts
uhm...altydriver did you check your timing chain for scoring, abrasions...of the such? it is possible it could of damaged your chain...pre-2000 altimas only have the upper timing chain guide. I strongly suggest if you have a pre-2000 altima you remove the upper timing chain guide if you haven't already..it is so easy a monkey could do it. Another good thing to do is paint your valve cover while it is off.

·
Rockin the Kasbah
4,106 Posts
timing chain looked fine --> the materials in the chain are stronger than those in the guide, causing the guide to wear before the chain (the exact purpose of the guides...

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Actually the guides are there because nissan designed them to save the motor if you would completely lose oil pressure. But then again, no oil pressure and you're pretty much in serious trouble already.

Also pre 2000 altimas have the upper chain guide, and also a upper lower chain guide. Both these have been removed by tsb's from nissan. Finally there is also a lower chain guide that has a new part number as well, that replaces the chain guide that has some plastic with a full metal chain guide.

UltimaSE

·
Registered
343 Posts
post up some pics when you can. my 00-01 altima has made that noise since i bought it pretty much at 65k. Also, do you have to completely reseal the valve cover or just parts. My sentra had a rubber gasket and you only had to reseal on side of it. thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts